building a dual wan router

havelln

Inactive User
Reaction score
over the weekend im going to attempt to build a dual wan router to join two 50mb modems

been reading up alot about it
i got a spare comp gathering dust not being used at mo
intel celeron 3.2ghz
2gb ram
80gb hard drive
only one onboard lan
so going to get two pci ethernet cards

all i want is one port to my main computer

anyone had any experience doing this

ive got two modems running at 44mb each simultaneously on one cable feed
would just like to beable to combine it into one comp and need a new project to do getting board

Last edited:
A lot of wasted electricity powering a full PC just to use it as a dual wan router, lol

Why not install another PCI card in your main desktop and run Wingate, it works as well as any Dual WAN router I've ever used.

wingate dont run on osx

and just want a new project to do till im back at college

i haven't got any spare pci slots to add another card or I'd have another bash at wingate, think i left a few ports or something open the last time i set it up, many moons ago when i 1st started here and i think every computer in the world was using me as a "spam" base, for some reason seemed to be sending 2000000000 billion e-mails out, so panicky set in and then i deleted wingate..... that's why i was after a cheap good duel wan router, but seem to be waiting for the right priced to come along.....:banana:

Get yourself a Linksys WRT54GL put dd-wrt on it, run a few scrips, bobs your uncle a dual wan jobby cheap as chips. :proud:

:Cheers:

hibby mate, i think we will be friends soon....lololl

so one of these

Linksys by Cisco WRT54GL Wireless-G Broadband Router

3165YDWYAXL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

and then could you help with software etc etc

Last edited:
Get yourself a Linksys WRT54GL put dd-wrt on it, run a few scrips, bobs your uncle a dual wan jobby cheap as chips.

You'd be very lucky indeed to get two 50Meg connections working through a cheap router like this. Most of them are barely capable of processing a 1/3rd of that speed for any duration, especially if you've got any kind of rules set up !

You'd be very lucky indeed to get two 50Meg connections working through a cheap router like this. Most of them are barely capable of processing a 1/3rd of that speed for any duration, especially if you've got any kind of rules set up !

It's not for 2 x 50mg lol...that would be kicking the arse out of it no.

:Cheers:

just a couple of ambits and the max i'm getting is about 10 meg from them...............

Brilliant then, just ordered one from amazon, £30.00 brand new....

To Orginal poster, havelln, sorry matey didn't mean to hijack your thread mate...

just a couple of ambits and the max i'm getting is about 10 meg from them...............

hmm, are you running with 20Meg Macs ?

10Meg is a bit low if you are. I'd expect 15-18Meg at least from a 20Meg modem to newsgroups (using multiple streams)

If your not using 20Meg Macs then finding a proper 20Meg MAC would probably be a lot less hassle and far more sucessful than trying to set up multiple modems to get the same speed.

yeah mate, supposed to be running 20 meg macs but after they went dynamic and that as we all know sniffing for a 20 etc is impossible to find one unless you just keep on trying all the macs and having a wild stab at it, ( so i guess i'm being lazy as haven't gotten round to changing macs etc ) get 2 - 3 meg download of newsgroups - deed done now and router purchased........needed something else to mess on with actually....

hibby mate, i think we will be friends soon....lololl

so one of these

Linksys by Cisco WRT54GL Wireless-G Broadband Router

3165YDWYAXL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

and then could you help with software etc etc

Oi Oi, what's all this then. I got one of these. You gonna hook up more than one ethernet modem into the back?

that's the plan! (any way enough of me hijacking this thread, will start a new one when it arrives.) sorry OP

that's the plan! (any way enough of me hijacking this thread, will start a new one when it arrives.) sorry OP
Good, I'll Hijack your thread when you make it!

j/k/, let me know when you start the thread.

Back