BT to speed ahead of Virgin with 300Mbps broadband – for some

totalgenius

Inactive User
Reaction score
BT Group has kicked off a broadband arms race by offering selected households internet access of up to 110 megabits per second, the fastest on a national network in Britain, and powerful enough to download a feature film in one minute.

In an effort to best Virgin Media, whose top speed is 100Mbps, and to counter critics in industry and government who say the UK's introduction of fibre-optics has been too slow, BT also vowed to offer the same homes speeds of up to 300Mbps by next spring.

However, the service will initially be available at only six exchanges – Milton Keynes, Ashford in Middlesex, York, north London, Chester and St Austell – covering 60,000 homes.

The new speeds have been made possible because in these areas BT is for the first time installing fibre directly to homes, rather than to street cabinets with copper wire carrying the signal from the cabinet to the doorstep.

BT currently reaches 5m homes with fibre to the cabinet, and on Wednesday said these customers would begin to see speeds double from 40Mbps to 80Mbps.

Chief executive Ian Livingston said he hoped 10m of the UK's 25m households would have some form of fibre connection by next year. BT has vowed to get fibre to 18m homes by 2015. "We'll hit the government's target of having the best superfast broadband in Europe by 2015," he said.

About 200,000 customers have so far bought superfast broadband from BT, while Virgin Media has 930,000 customers on speeds of 30Mbps and above.

BT says that, with fibre to the premises, speeds of up to 1 gigabit per second – nearly 10 times faster than the 110Mbps product – will eventually be commercially available. A 1Gbps trial is under way in Kesgrave in Suffolk.

Jeremy Hunt this summer urged BT to pick up the pace on fibre, and a trade association representing telecoms departments at UK businesses has accused BT of stalling tactics, and called for the company to be broken up.

The Communications Management Association (CMA), which represents 30 corporate members in finance, retail and local government, is worried the UK is falling behind other European nations and has called on the UK to follow New Zealand's example and hive off BT's Openreach division, which builds and manages the former telecoms monopoly's network.

"While this would pose new regulatory challenges (and further interminable delaying arguments), the prospects facing business users could hardly be worse than they are now," the CMA said.

By Juliette Garside
BT to speed ahead of Virgin with 300Mbps broadband

Shame they dont invest as much in getting the rest of the country up and running on FTTC !! They have only just (yesterday) installed the cab in my street for infinity... ! When according to their roll out map, I should have been able to sign up by end of September !!! lol Its now moved to end of December... The infinity was the selling point of me taking thier broadband, as I was told would only be 3-4 months and I WILL have infintiy - so slow speed at connection was not an issue. :(

Really boils my pi$$ to hear they are going to boost speeds elsewhere on thier network before they even have the other half connected lol !! its not like I live in the sticks, Inside the M25 - Dagenham lol.

Haven't VM already tested 200mbps and said that 400mbps should be feasible.

But to be honest, its all marketing. Most people would be happy with 20mb

Haven't VM already tested 200mbps and said that 400mbps should be feasible.

But to be honest, its all marketing. Most people would be happy with 20mb

sure I see that as well mate, Its all playground.... "ive got a bigger **** " rubbish lol ! who cares, I cant use 200mbps anyway lol.... but 5meg max is taking the piss

I HAD a fibre connection but I had to get a copper overlay so I could get BB. Now they tell me my exchange is not on the up and coming list for Infinity,

Rural Ireland :grayno:

1517738932.png

Here's the issue....

You will have a fantastically super duper all singing all dancing FTTC connection at 300MBbps, but then BT will cap your download limit (sorry "fair usage" policy) to 50GB.

So great, I can now in the first few days of the month download everything i want, but then wont be able to do squat until my monthly renewal.

EDIT: TPON is basically a bundle of hundreds of lines as fibre, so they can get to you, but when they get near your exchange they will break that back out to copper.

Last edited:
Yes exactly the same as FTTC ;)

As I was fibre from the exchange, to the cab at the bottom of the read. They ran copper from that same said cab, back to the exchange.

They need to concentrate more on gaining customers. I dont know anyone who is with them they are pish

Does this mean that companies that use BT's lines in the area such as $ky, etc will get to lease the lines too, or is it purely for BT customers only?

well, turns out my exchange wont be ready for infinity until december 2012!

thats insane I live in bracknell which although is a dump, it has many business head offices here and was originally built to be a business town near london, the internet here is truely awful! i scrape 300kb/s downloads and about 70kb/s up its discraceful!

If people can get something bigger and better they will want it!

Roll on my enlargement, I knew all those spam emails where not for nothing ;)

I would love FTTC, and i can probably register now to get it in Dec, but I'm OK with my 12-14MB right now as I don't have any caps. The market needs to expand and there needs to be a few competitors. BT as always will just try to monopolise the situation and then provide a crap service with something that gives you no real gain over ADSL because of the policies in place.

Anyone looking at FTTC might want to look at this:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...0SVlLcVlzQWZuVFE&hl=en&authkey=CNDi0Z8L#gid=0

Back