British Teacher Released in Sudan

totalgenius

Inactive User
Reaction score
[FONT=Geneva,Arial,sans-serif]A British teacher jailed after she allowed her students to name a teddy bear Muhammad was released Monday hours after Sudan's president pardoned her, a British Embassy spokesman said.

[/FONT] [FONT=Geneva,Arial,sans-serif]The teacher, Gillian Gibbons, said she did not intend to offend anyone and had great respect for Islam.

[/FONT] [FONT=Geneva,Arial,sans-serif]``She is in British Embassy custody and is with the deputy British ambassador,'' embassy spokesman Omar Daair said. He would not give her exact location or say when she would leave Sudan.

[/FONT] [FONT=Geneva,Arial,sans-serif]Gibbons was sentenced on Thursday to 15 days in prison and deportation for insulting Islam because she allowed her students to name a class teddy bear Muhammad, seen as a reference to Islam's Prophet Muhammad.

[/FONT] [FONT=Geneva,Arial,sans-serif]The teacher's conviction under Sudan's Islamic Sharia law shocked Britons and many Muslims worldwide. It also inflamed passions among many Sudanese, some of whom called for her execution.

[/FONT] [FONT=Geneva,Arial,sans-serif]Gibbons escaped harsher punishment that could have included up to 40 lashes, six months in prison and a fine.

[/FONT] [FONT=Geneva,Arial,sans-serif]In a written statement released by the presidential palace and read by Warsi to reporters Monday, 54-year-old Gibbons said she was sorry if she caused any ``distress.''

[/FONT] [FONT=Geneva,Arial,sans-serif]``I have a great respect for the Islamic religion and would not knowingly offend anyone,'' Gibbons said in the statement. ``I am looking forward to seeing my family and friends, but I am very sorry that I will be unable to return to Sudan.''
[/FONT]

excellent news,

i am glad nothing bad happened to her, and hope she continues to teach where she is respected and loved by pupils in the UK.

Great news but whats the first thing she's quoted as saying ?

"I would like to be allowed back one day"

Is she fecking mad ? I wouldn't go anywhere near that bunch of Pathetic arseholes ever again, let them educate themselves

well, do you think maybe that comment displays a spirit that means she will not be defeated by a group of narrow minded old men?

well, do you think maybe that comment displays a spirit that means she will not be defeated by a group of narrow minded old men?
yes but the ppl out side of the embassy was a fecking big crowd

I think if she does sell it, she is entitled to it.

I saw the timeline on the bbc website today charting her "crime". Apparently it happened in september, but the authorities decided not to do anything untill just before xmas..

I also spoke with a muslim freind of mine about this - I was quite stunned to hear him tell me that this was her fault based on the fact that she knew the laws there so shouldnt have been shocked over the arrest.

I told him I didnt doubt she was aware of the law, including the one she is supposed to have broken. My come back was "how do you know you are not insulting islam by making this comment?". He told me that "he jut knew he wasnt, and not to be stupid"...

At least she is going to be back with her family soon.

spare a thought for poor mohammed the teddy bear , he's been given a life sentance !! quote the sun newspaper i read today at work :p

ps only ment as a joke just tryn to throw a little light hearted humer on the situation , alls well that ends well :)

She didnt name the child, so why is she getting the blame? Why isnt the school in trouble.

Listening to five live yesterday, it said islam was a caring and forgiving religion.
Yes, it really showed :)

Its obviously for political reasons she got released and nothing else.

Im glad she is released, she shouldnt of been locked up in the first place.

she is back in the UK now and sounds fairly upbeat according to the BBC news website.

She is doing a good job of promoting the Sudan though. At least she can have a nice happy xmas with her family :)

Sudan's president should have not let this happen in the first place, if anybody should get the jail it should have been the teddy bear Muhammad

Thats great news..:)

Ps I have just removed a few posts in here, Any more posts off topic will be dealt with more severely, you know who i mean, if you cannot stay on topic dont post.

Back