bricked dlink dir 615 with 12v suply

mentholflash01

Inactive User
Reaction score
hi all
hope sumone can help
i bought a router from sleazbay put dd-wrt on to it succesfully
my cousins router went down so i lent him mine
even thou i took him the power supply he just plugged it into his netgear router power sopply wich is 12v
now all i get is a fast blinking power light
can anyone tell me wat might of blown on the board so i can replace it to get my router baclk up an running
or is it possible to take the flash and ram chips out and put them in a netgear wgr614 v9 router and get that working on dd-wrt
dont realy have the money to buy a new router so any help would be greatfully recieved
thanks

your router may not be ****ed, I once flashed ddwrt for a buffalo router onto a dlink dir 615 router got exact symptom as you, for some bizarre reason, the wifi settings did not change on the router, so I was able to connect to the router via wifi, log into the config page and flashed the correct firmware.. might be worth a try .

i just picked up a dlink dir 615 at a flea market for a few eur, and it turned out to have a similar fault.
(it's really a bad move on dlink's part to use a standard barrel jack connection for a 5V supply, and not include any protection circuitry...)
then i found this page as the first google hit for the number on the switching power regulator chip(s).
in my device, the regulator supplying 3.3 volts (closer to the edge of the board) is still working, the other is dead.

but i got the router it running again now!

i'd just like to point out that your idea of solving the problem by fixing the regulators is a bit silly... you are not going to get replacements for the chips if there isn't even a datasheet, and even then there might be other components of the power supplies broken, and you don't really want to solder such tiny parts...

the nice thing about power supplies is that there's really only two important parameters: the output voltage, and the current it can supply.
so there's absolutely no reason to fix the shot supplies, as it's far easier to just replace them altogether.

so what i did was, cut the connection between the regulator chip and the choke (this might not be required, but it's safer), and then connect another power supply providing the required voltage instead.

the only information i needed from this thread was that the power supplies likely supply 3.3 and 2.5 volts, so i needed to replace the 2.5 volts supplied by the shot regulator.

for now i'm using my adjustable bench power supply (nice to have), but it should be relatively easy to find one to install into the device.
the easiest/cheapest would be to stick in a simple linear regulator, just that those are not as efficient, and the power dissipation (heat!) might become a problem.
(the router is drawing 0.5amps from the 2.5v line.)
or find a switching supply that provides 3.3 and/or 2.5 volts (or maybe use 3.3 from any PC psu, and derive 2.5 from that using a low-drop linear regulator... endless possibilities there.)

Back