brake problem golf 1.9 sdi

phezo

DW Member ++
Reaction score
i recently acquired a t reg golf 1.9 sdi. when i brake i feel a shudder on the pedal. when the pedal is close to the floor i hear a metal to metal noise from directly underneath the pedal. the pedal feels as if its stuck for a split second when close to the floor. this seems to happen more frequently in wet conditions.

i replaced the back pads, the front pads and put new discs on the front on saturday there, but the problem is still there.

any help would be appreciated.

Do you have any history on the vehicle phezo? has it been in an accident?. It could be a damaged front strut or buckled. Check control arms for wear and tear as well. Also Check that the master cylinder is not leaking and that it is bolted firmly to the servo. Also if in doubt bleed the brakes again. Good luck

miggy do you reckon there could be a prob with the A.B.S had an orion that done some think like this. turned out it was the A.B.S. garage fixed it so cant say what was the prob. but was down to the system

What is throwing me out speedy is the shuddering metal sound.if the pedal is bouncing it's a warped discs?.phezo does not mention anything about an ABS light being on to show a fault, so could it be uncoupled?. It could be a faulty sensor mate but he will have to check that.

My ABS does this when it kicks in, which is very very rarely ( maybe 5 times in 8 years ). It's awful and sounds just like metal on metal and the pedal goes all weird for a bit. I thought it was fooked to start but it's normal from all accounts.

Why yours is doing this so often though I'll leave to Mr Miggy to sort :)

i reckon wheels need balancing i had this too and got the wheels done and brake shuddering went away

i recently acquired a t reg golf 1.9 sdi. when i brake i feel a shudder on the pedal. when the pedal is close to the floor i hear a metal to metal noise from directly underneath the pedal. the pedal feels as if its stuck for a split second when close to the floor. this seems to happen more frequently in wet conditions.

i replaced the back pads, the front pads and put new discs on the front on saturday there, but the problem is still there.

any help would be appreciated.

sounds like your wheel bearing is gone on the drivers side, this will give you the sound you describe and would give symptoms like you would get from a warped disk and since you'v put new disks on it cant be them if there fitted properly.
your best thing to do is to jack the car up with the wheels off the grond and grab the wheel left and right and look for play then grab the wheel at the top and bottom and look for play then spin the wheel to see if you can hear anything, this will til you roughly if your wheel bearing is gone.
hope this helps :)

i reckon wheels need balancing i had this too and got the wheels done and brake shuddering went away

This could be true mate but the metal sound?. Changing disc's is a good idea but if the car has been curbed it could have a damaged/buckled hub or bearing. hence the shudder. What do you think speedy?

Last edited:
ad tend to sway with ABS prob miggy. the pedal shouldnt be going right down in the first place m8. un less the ABS kicks in. and u tend to get further pedal travel and shoulder as it brakes of and on. but it has been 10 yrs since i even messed with cars.think more info is needed from the o.p matey. i.e like you said any accidents in the past and poor repair job ?

sorry lads, forgot to mention the ABS light comes on and off randomly. also the discs are brand new,what you take me for,lol.(says the guy with a T reg golf)

Last edited:
lol .. thats the important bit lol ..

your need to read fault codes m8 .. but ui can check the abs rings on the front drive shafts and see if there a crack in one or the cv joint gasket clip has come off and stuck around the sensor

Check the 30 amp A.B.S fuse in your fusebox pheso, although it looks good the contacts get pitted and give an intermittent fault.Just change the fuse don't clean it.

Example mate
2011-08-07_155147_87775448.gif

Last edited:
For your safety take it to a mechanic.

None of us can see or hear the issue with your car. Any suggestion is pure speculation, you have had a number of speculative opinions to which it could be or not.

Wow, the thread just turned all H&S.....

Shudders......

;)

Check the 30 amp A.B.S fuse in your fusebox pheso, although it looks good the contacts get pitted and give an intermittent fault.Just change the fuse don't clean it.

Example mate
2011-08-07_155147_87775448.gif

the pictures right but the abs fuses r on the battery , might even be a wheel bearing hanging off , have anyone checked them

if l was u l would remove both f1 and f2 fuses , this will turn the abs off and u cant test car using standard brakes , if fault gone u know the area to look

Last edited:
Back