brake issue ford fiesta

county82

Inactive User
Reaction score
hello

i recently bought an 09 ford fiesta edge, ive noticed a problem when braking. when im approaching a t junction and use the brake very gently the car slows down but then for no reason it gathers speed again as if ive lifted my foot (which i havent). there are no revs going to the engine.

it the same sensation you get when you put the clutch down (coasting) but the clutch is up, you can feel the car getting away from you until you apply more pressure.

i wasnt sure if the brake pads are releasing or there is some clutch issue ie the engine braking stops as if the clutch is down.

the reason this problem is very worring for me is because i have just started driving school business, and a learner could struggle to control the car when braking gently.

any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated

thanks

tom

Last edited by a moderator:
If the car is in gear and the revs are below the unloaded speed for that gear, lifting off the brake pedal will cause a slight acceleration on ANY car; I am guessing the fiesta is a lot lighter/ has better torque, than cars you have driven recently, so you havent noticed this before.
It is quite noticeable in my Mitsi Grandis, which has lots of low end torque.

Why do I get the feeling you won't post much county82?

Or should I just call you Tom?

Last edited:
the thing is im not lifting off the brake. it slows with gentle braking then speeds up until i apply more pressure. ive had dual control ftted and i dont know weather this is affecting the engine braking maybe?

the thing is im not lifting off the brake. it slows with gentle braking then speeds up until i apply more pressure. ive had dual control ftted and i dont know weather this is affecting the engine braking maybe?

Have you checked for brake pad wear?. Unfortunately modern brakes look visually good but they are made out of cheap material (not asbestos anymore). For piece of mind get them checked out properly. You could even have slightly buckled brake disc's hence the brake ok on the high point then easing off once its past the buckled area.

Have you checked for brake pad wear?. Unfortunately modern brakes look visually good but they are made out of cheap material (not asbestos anymore). For piece of mind get them checked out properly. You could even have slightly buckled brake disc's hence the brake ok on the high point then easing off once its past the buckled area.

ive got it booked in for a health check, its very intermittent so im guessing it will get the all clear and i will be no closer to finding out the problem.

A warped disk would give a shudder, I suppose it could be air in the pipes, either a small leak under pressure, or just not bled properly at some point.

A warped disk would give a shudder, I suppose it could be air in the pipes, either a small leak under pressure, or just not bled properly at some point.

yeah it could be that. its just weird how it pick up speed. usually if you take your brake off you remain at a slower speed

A warped disc would give a pulsating feel to the brake pedal, A shudder is wheel balancing or wheel bearing. What he is describing sounds nothing like brakes though more like a sticking fuel lift pump or a slight vacuum leak.

A warped disc would give a pulsating feel to the brake pedal, A shudder is wheel balancing or wheel bearing. What he is describing sounds nothing like brakes though more like a sticking fuel lift pump or a slight vacuum leak.

i am starting to think its not the brakes, just drove it home, when i come to a stop at the point the car starts to struggle(where you would put the clutch down) just as you go to do that the car seem to gain momentum. very strange feeling

I would get the dual control double checked as its not a "normal" kind of fault you are describing m8

It sounds like your diesel pump idle control valve. or air is being sucked in somewhere. As wiz states check the dual control linkage for kinks in the cables and clutch adjustment perhaps the clutch is not full operating properly due to bad adjustment. Was it running ok before you had the dual controls fitted?.

It sounds like your diesel pump idle control valve. or air is being sucked in somewhere. As wiz states check the dual control linkage for kinks in the cables and clutch adjustment perhaps the clutch is not full operating properly due to bad adjustment. Was it running ok before you had the dual controls fitted?.

i dont know i bought it and it was converted for me. bit of an update i tried braking with the cluth down and it does nt do it. so im thinking its not the brakes. i noticed the engine note changes when it happens like it idle, but im still moving

Just take it down a main dealer, ask the service manager to get a mechanic do a road test and see if it happens. You'll probably spend more trying to work out whats happening than letting some tell you exactly. Yep i do work at a main ford dealer too, oh and also mazda, mitsubishi and suzuki, but I'm down in nz.

Back