Bottled Water Warning

Zooropa

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
BOTTLED WATER WARNING

Drinking bottled water could leave children vulnerable to tooth decay, researchers say.

A new study has found that 25 popular brands are unlikely to contain enough fluoride to protect children's teeth.

The finding comes as MPs are set to vote to give local communities the choice to add fluoride to public drinking water.

The study of 25 popular brands of bottled water found that they were unlikely to contain enough fluoride to protect children's teeth.

The research in Newcastle, where tap water is fluoridated, also found that labelling about fluoride content was inaccurate in 75% of brands tested.

Researchers compared the fluoride intake of children who drank and had their food cooked in bottled water with those who relied on fluoridated tap water.

Writing in the British Dental Journal, they found that children consuming bottled water received between 26% and 48% less fluoride compared to those drinking tap water.

The researchers said the results came at a time when the popularity of bottled water was rising year-on-year in the UK.

In 1995, 800 million litres of bottled water was consumed, rising to 1.39 billion litres in 2000.

It is predicted to rise a further 70% over the next five years.

Professor Liz Kay, scientific adviser to the BDA, said: "Fluoride protects teeth from decay and the extractions that decay can cause.

"Children drinking fluoridated water and practising a good tooth-brushing regime significantly improve their chance of enjoying good health and avoiding unnecessary and painful dental work."

In some countries flouride is banned as a poison!

I would rather drink plain water and be safe,also to some people who have had chemotheropy ( the wife) it is advised to avoid it as it reacts with the drugs and can cause mouth sores etc :lsabre:

so does this mean that im just gonna have to keep using toothpaste like most people in the world

toothpaste is not a problem to me, or flouride......i have access to tonnes of the stuff..... i work in a toothpaste factory

also about the bottled water, they say it is filtered through slate, rock, etc........ for thousands of years, but when they put it into a bottle, they put a best before date on it, damn, this water is over a thousand years old, how can they put a date on it for 6 months.....lol

Back