Boiler Problems

chris1975

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
After some advise guys before I call an engineer.

I have a Baxi 105he Combi which is approx 7years old.

Over the last couple of months it has developed a few problems.

1, Whilst running the hot water it will intermittently run cold.
2, Every so often the radiators will make a gurgling noise without the heating even being on.
3, Whilst running a shower the radiators will heat up even when the switch is turn to water only.
4, When the heating is on the boiler will intermittently go off so there is no constant heat this even happens when the room stat is on full.

The boiler is serviced yearly.

Any advice would be gratefully appreciated.

Regards
Chris

Sounds like a couple of problems to be fair not just one. I'm by no means an expert, just my own experience of the same. Servicing doesn't really check for anything other than pressure etc not operation as such. I've found them to be more of a safety check.

Gurgling is likely air in the system, try to bleed all the radiators; turn the valve at the side with a screwdriver slowly until water comes out.

Rad heatup while the water is on sounds like the diverter valve or seal has gone that controls the water flow (three positions, water, rad and both)

Boiler on/off could potentially be the spark/igniter and the boiler going off is likely to why your hot water drops to cold.

On the whole, its a plumber really. Valve seals are relatively cheap, having to replace the valve itself is not (£80+ just for the part according to the man at BG as had to replace mine last year), but I have BG's cover so cost nothing for the call out etc.

Generally (and they recommended this not me) you need a system power flush because of the age (mine is about 8 years) however this can vary from £150 private to £600 from BG)

I haven't done mine yet as I'm replacing at least two radiators, using sludge cleaner and re-applying inhibitor.

I have a Potterton Performa 24 Combi which is basically a Baxi.

Last edited:
Guys for info mate, gonna call someone out today, just wanted advise before hand so as not to have someone try n pull the wool over my eyes

That's probably your best bet chris although Exos's advice was spot on it's not worth messing about with it yourself if you are not sure. It could be a simple problem like air in the system or it could be the Diverter valve not working. Dont guess mate be safe and keep us posted.

The guy turned up last night to check the boiler out and has ordered a diverter valve he will be back tomorrow all being well to fit it. £220 supplied and fit so I'll be happy with that if it cures the problem.

Perhaps it may pay you to join a central heating breaking down cover scheme now. It will work out cheaper in the long run for you and you don't have the hassle and worry of looking for a plumber.No nasty surprises just one fixed monthly price. Good luck chris.

The guy turned up last night to check the boiler out and has ordered a diverter valve he will be back tomorrow all being well to fit it. £220 supplied and fit so I'll be happy with that if it cures the problem.

Ouch!!

Try to get the price of the part, that seems steep.

Scottish Power do boiler cover for £16, BG literally in the last few days upped theirs to £24 a month. Either way its well worth it.

Sorry Jimmy just seen ya post.

Guy came out this morning and fitted the new diverter valve, which has cured the running a shower and the radiators heating up.

However the water is still running hot and cold.

1 other thing could any one suggest where to try for boiler cover.

Regards

Chris

i work for BG in the homecare team if you have an existing fault you need to pay £99 up front and £20 per month for the first year, better to get it fixed then take the cover out at £17per month, unless the repair will cost more than £136

The cost does come back to you to be fair, mine just went up to £24 a month instead of £17 and the reason..because of 3 call outs, 2 of which where because the engineer fried the circuit board or rather was only new to that team so had to come back a number of times and replaced the wrong part. Not sure why I should have to pay more for that though. Moving to Scottish Power now @ £16pm

£24 quid per month wow thats like a new boiler every 18 months

£24 quid per month wow thats like a new boiler every 18 months

thats what i was thinking, i have one of those baxi 105e its probably the same age as OP i have replaced the diaphragm in the diverter valve as it was £95 for the complete thing and £15 for the diaphragm kit i got the kit. 2 pipe nuts and 6 screws and 20 minutes later it was back up and running

if i had been paying those rates £2016.

Well i hope you got your other problems sorted on the boiler. i have install guide and schematic diagrams of wiring and part numbers etc , if you dont have them i can scan and pdf them if any help.

Back