earwig999

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Right so we want currently have -

XL TV
XL Phone
XL Broadband

we are paying about £45 per month including calls.

I want to upgrade to V+ HD, so thought a simple box swap would be all that is needed. They want £99 to do it, even though online it says £75!!

We arranged for Sky for the mum in law and they fitted the dish, drilled the wall, ran the cables and installed the box for £39. No wonder Virgin are losing customers.

Hey,

Are you still in contract with Virgin??? The reason i ask is i would try ringing them and saying you want to stop all your services and tell them you are moving to Sky. I bet they soon change there mind and offer you a good deal.

My bill went from £30 to £50 because i was out the special offer, as soon as i said i would leave they put it straight back to £30.

Just a thought.

yes its defo worth a try. they will do alot to keep existing customers happy, just a shame you have to tell them your leaving for them to dish out, but they will!

sometimes when you 1st speak to someone in cancellations they can be a numptie and ya get nowt, just ring off then ring em back explain u been on but call was dropped this usually works for me :)

I called them in December to explain that my wages had gone from weekly to monthly and to change DD dates to the 1st of the month (payday) and because i wasn't getting paid at all for the month of Jan they said ok pay 2 months Febuary.
My ebill just came expected 2 x £90 = £180 no ffs £250 called them to ask why, oh charges and this n that.
Roll on couple more months when my contract is up and i'm getting free sat.
been with them about 15yrs and thats how they repay long term customer.

Rang retentions and now get all 3 XL packages, V+ HD box and normal box in another room for £50 a month and only £30 installation.

The girl had even logged what she had told us including prices. The guy said he had sent an email as she was clearly giving incorrect information.

Just a bit concerned about how they are going to run the cable to our lads bedroom on the back of the house though?

Last edited:
Rang retentions and now get all 3 XL packages, V+ HD box and normal box in another room for £50 a month and only £30 installation.

The girl had even logged what she had told us including prices. The guy said he had sent an email as she was clearly giving incorrect information.

Just a bit concerned about how they are going to run the cable to our lads bedroom on the back of the house though?

that sounds like a good price do you have sports and movies??

XL package you get espn (HD inc) but not sports and movies, but you do get the 7 HD channels.
The recording 2 channels watch a third is v good and the upscaling on SD is excellent.

As Manse said, no movies or sport. I can get them elsewhere ;)

I was torn between Sly+ HD and Vermin, but as we already have Vermin I thought it would be better.

Both systems have pros and cons

Sly+ HD

More channels in HD
Ability to dial in and set records via internet/phone
Nicer looking Guide
Records off signals rather than times so if a show is running late it doesn't cut the end off

V+ HD

3 tuners so you can record 2 channels and watch a 3rd, Sly only has 2 tuners
1080p HD whereas Sly is only 720p/1080i
Better On Demand content
Cheaper if you take other packages
No call out fees for repairs

So fairly even really, but for me Vermin just edged it.

The V+ box m8 is 1080i also but like i said it is a cracking picture even on standard deff.
Has shows running late/early there is a "padding system" you can turn on that allows for a extra set amount to allow for it but think max is something like 5 mins.
ps ask them for a HDMI cable they do supply them, if not they will post you one ;)

The V+ box m8 is 1080i also but like i said it is a cracking picture even on standard deff.
Has shows running late/early there is a "padding system" you can turn on that allows for a extra set amount to allow for it but think max is something like 5 mins.
ps ask them for a HDMI cable they do supply them, if not they will post you one ;)

lol, you are right. I have a V+ box atm, but not subbed. I always thought it had 3 options 720p, 1080i and 1080p. But it's just 720p and 1080i. I always had it set at 720p as the menus looked blurry in 1080i.

The padding system we currently have set for 5 mins, so it records 5 mins before and 5 mins after, which is ok but that can then cause clashing of preset recordings as the other one hasn't finished recording when the other starts. If you get what I mean. Another example would be a football match, if it went into extra time it wouldn't account for that so would get cut off. It also adds an extra 10 minutes for each recording to your HDD.
I have a HDMI lead, but might ask them for one anyway. ;)

Thanks.

be careful, the bast*rds usually throw the cable over the roof, the installation tw*ts are the worst I've ever seen, they work like gypos............no offence to any gypos

are all V+ boxes HD? i want the XL tv package but dont wanna pay too much extra.

i have phone, BB and tv with them.

Taken from another site..Has i wasn't sure if there was a original NON HD version

Virmin Media V+

Virmin Media V+ Box replaces the original Telewest TVDrive. It's a hard-disc recorder that can store TV shows on the built-in storage for ease of viewing. It offers the following features:

* Records up to 80 hours of cable TV.
* Supports HD Hi-def.
* Allows recording of two TV channels, while watching a third.
* Lets you pause and rewind live TV
* Has a series-link, so you don't miss your favourite regular shows

Outputs: 2 x SCART sockets, 1 x modulated RF output, 2 x audio phono outputs, and 1 x HDMI (Hi-def) socket.

be careful, the bast*rds usually throw the cable over the roof, the installation tw*ts are the worst I've ever seen, they work like gypos............no offence to any gypos

unfortunatly you are right. but the contracted installation guys are treated like tw@s in a big way and are worked like slaves. its not an excuse but at least part way of an explination to why their installs are sh1t

unfortunatly you are right. but the contracted installation guys are treated like tw@s in a big way and are worked like slaves. its not an excuse but at least part way of an explination to why their installs are sh1t

tbh that is no excuse to do a shite installation for the customer. if i went to work with that attitude and installed my 1st fix like they install there cable, i dont think id be on site for 2 minutes.

have some respect for a paying customer!

Back