Black screen on laptop

Rat

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Daughter has a Acer Aspire 7720G and all of a sudden the screen went all funny
purple dots, white screen, then went all black with faint lines running through
now there is nothing displayed on the screen at all

Ive done a bit of searching and found someone with the same problem, he had yellow I had purple though
The screen suddenly had a yellow tint for a second, froze, and then turned to white, before slowly fading to black, bit by bit. On restart it becomes grayish-white with very thin multicoloured lines going down it,

it seems to be a Nvidia defect, is this fixable or is the laptop dead now ?

tbh this couldn't come at worse time for me amongst other things the daughter is studting and taking exams now :(

could really do with some quick advise on this one :)
cheers for looking

yeah Ive been having a read about nara :(
its out of warranty now. I dont know if its fixable though or would cost be too much and just get a new one ?

Sounds like your Video chipset needs a reflow or re-balling.
how i fixed mine.
Strip the mainboard out of laptop, applied some liquid cleaner flux to VGA chip. Got the chip really hot with a heat gun to re-flow the BGA grid solder.
Let it cool down, then rebuilt laptop fitting a copper shim to VGA chip and CPU with new thermal compound.
That was 6 months ago and its still going strong.
Lots of video tutorials on youtube, search VGA reflow.

i agree with crashuk2k1, but its not easy to do yourself and even most repairers will refuse the work. The fix is also unreliable and it is rare to last long. Not trying to be negative Rat, just trying to give a clear view on this. With some added luck you may be ok. Consider getting a replacement laptop now though, then if you manage to fix this one you can sell while it works :)

i agree with crashuk2k1, but its not easy to do yourself and even most repairers will refuse the work. The fix is also unreliable and it is rare to last long. Not trying to be negative Rat, just trying to give a clear view on this. With some added luck you may be ok. Consider getting a replacement laptop now though, then if you manage to fix this one you can sell while it works :)

Agreed. I had a reflow done on a iMac video chip last year. It lasted about two months.

Back