Best way to learn VB.Net ??

simonk1969

Inactive User
Reaction score
I was booked on a evening training course at our local college to learn VB.Net, I've attended the first two sessions and now they have cancelled the course. Cannot blame them really as there was only two of us on it, I will get a full refund but I'm quite disappointed. The small company I work for are also going to be converting the application that we sell from VB6 to VB.NET starting probably in about 12 months and I've been unofficially told that if I get on a course and a qualification I could probably join the one man development team that we currently have.

I've worked with quite a lot of scripts and have written quite a few of my own for my home automation stuff with the help of the guys over on the HomeSeer forum and bit of googling. I've got Visual Studio 2008 at home and have also written some programs again with the knowledge I have and the help of google. I enjoy writing scripts and debugging them when they don't work, so sounds like an ideal opportunity to get paid to do it !

So what would you guys reccomend to be the best way to learn VB.Net ? I would also like to get some qualification at the end of it, so maybe home study and then find somewhere to take a exam or some online training ? Budget is limited which is why the college sounded ideal !

Recommended books, online training, exams ?

Any help gratfeully appreciated

Simon
Thanks
Simon

I've been using it for the last year and a half or so, for my job and for home use. Best way to learn is to use it (vb.net 2008), I'm learning all the time.

I discovered along the way, the means to parse a pdf and export as text files, I've written a replacement for a well known program used for converting dates to hex (suppose you can guess what that was, lol?).

I occasionally dip in to the online MSDN and have a root around in there. There's plenty of online websites dedicated to .net.

Try searching Google for "vb.net pdf rapidshare" without the quotes and see if there are any ebooks available? I've just found a free download for an oreilly one.

Back