Best Buy To Close UK Stores

Rat

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Carphone Warehouse is to close all of its 11 Best Buy stores across the UK, the company has announced.

The move puts 1,100 jobs at risk at the outlets, which sell electronic goods, but the firm said it hoped to find the "large majority" alternative work.

The 11 Best Buy stores are part of Best Buy Europe, a joint venture between US group Best Buy and Carphone Warehouse.

The first Best Buy store in the UK only opened in April of last year. The outlets have failed to make a profit.

'Economic times'

Best Buy's 11 UK outlets are in Liverpool, Derby, Bristol, Nottingham, Rotherham, Dudley, Thurrock, Southampton, and three places in London - Croydon, Hayes and Enfield.

Carphone Warehouse and Best Buy initially planned to open 200 Best Buy stores across the UK and continental Europe.

Best Buy Europe was formed in 2008 when Best Buy paid £1.1bn to buy a 50% stake in Carphone Warehouse's retail division.

Carphone Warehouse said the focus would now be on selling more electronics goods from Best Buy Europe's 805 Carphone Warehouse stores in the UK, and 1,648 Phone House shops in continental Europe.

Best Buy Europe said in a statement: "Since 2008, the consumer electronics marketplace has changed substantially as a result of the economic times, the progress of online retailing and the growth of new products such as smartphones, tablets and apps."

It comes as Best Buy plans to buy its British partner out of a separate and fast-growing US mobile phone joint venture for £865m.

The Best Buy Mobile venture has been benefiting from soaring demand for smartphones, such as Apple's iPhone.
BBC News - Carphone Warehouse to close all 11 Best Buy shops

the best buy in enfiled was only opened nomore then 6 months ago..

not good for the staff at all x

Isnt surprising actually. They made a massive one where I live, took up almost the whole side of a retail park, never seen more customer than staff. Also their prices are always higher and when I have tried to price match in the past I have been told we dont stock the item or its discontinued.

there goes that quidco claim i have been waiting on...

I actually got my TV from there. But that was in their opening sale. Since then their prices have never been competitive. They tried to push that they are knowledgeable and have good customer service but I didn't find that.

Feel sorry for the staff, open they can find other jobs.

was actually at the uxbridge store yesterday.
the staff attitude was just attroacious but i guess if they know they may be loosing their jobs they dont really care.
i did but a tv which was the cheapest at best buy.

Back