Backing up before soft mod attempt

Alien Heads

Inactive User
Reaction score
I intend following the steps here https://www.digitalworldz.co.uk/index.php?threads/219299/#post1622966 although i've not attempted it before i'm confident with a bit of help i can do it but first i just wanted to ask a few questions.

I have bothered to look first & being new to this everything seems a bit confusing.

First of all is the above method a reliable one & is it easy to do?

What size memory card do i need for the above link?

How do i backup my current system in case anything goes wrong?

Will it work with 4.2e? (i know it says 4.2e in the title but i thought i'd ask).

Like i said i did search the place first & have half an idea what i'm doing, which is more than i knew before i started looking.

Last edited by a moderator:
I intend following the steps here https://www.digitalworldz.co.uk/index.php?threads/219299/#post1622966 although i've not attempted it before i'm confident with a bit of help i can do it but first i just wanted to ask a few questions.

I have bothered to look first & being new to this everything seems a bit confusing.

First of all is the above method a reliable one & is it easy to do?

What size memory card do i need for the above link?

How do i backup my current system in case anything goes wrong?

Will it work with 4.2e? (i know it says 4.2e in the title but i thought i'd ask).

Like i said i did search the place first & have half an idea what i'm doing, which is more than i knew before i started looking.

Hi mate,

Yes the BennyBen guide works with 4.2E, you will back up your NAND with Bootmii which is included in the pack and you should use a 2GB SD card.

If there is anything you are unsure of, just ask on here and you wil get a quick reply

Cheers mate, soon as my 2gb card arrives i'll crack on with it.

So once i've followed all the steps i can then backup my nand?

once you have completed Step 10

pause that guide for a few minutes......

then launch into HBC, press the Home button and click to Launch Bootmii.

From there you can make your nand backup there and then - it takes about 10mins or so.

Then pop the memory card back into pc and move the keys.bin and nand nand.bin to somewhere safe.

Then resume the guide.

My wii is connected to the internet will this affect me installing the above?

then launch into HBC, press the Home button and click to Launch Bootmii.

From there you can make your nand backup there and then - it takes about 10mins or so.

Then pop the memory card back into pc and move the keys.bin and nand nand.bin to somewhere safe.

Then resume the guide.

When I tried to do this it just hangs after the Bootmii. I have picture of Wii, the HBC, SD card and some cogs. I am assuming that I move to the SD card to backup but as I said it just appears to hang at this point. Any suggestions?

is there an issue with your sd card?

is there an issue with your sd card?

Not that I know off as i have managed to install the Negamm 8 and that works fine. I also installed the USB Loader but that sees the game but does not play it and the Wii backup just has a green screen.

When I tried to do this it just hangs after the Bootmii. I have picture of Wii, the HBC, SD card and some cogs. I am assuming that I move to the SD card to backup but as I said it just appears to hang at this point. Any suggestions?

You move along this menu with the power buton and the reset button selects. The wii remote does not work in bootmii.

You move along this menu with the power buton and the reset button selects. The wii remote does not work in bootmii.

If I press the Power button I get no response but if I press the 'Reset' button the Wii reboots itself and no response from the 'Eject' button.

I have been trying to get Conf USB Loader working and in the process loaded IOS222/223 and forsome unknown this has now allowed me to do the NAND backup. I had about 5 bad blocks whilst doing the backup, should I be worried or doing the backup again?

I have been trying to get Conf USB Loader working and in the process loaded IOS222/223 and forsome unknown this has now allowed me to do the NAND backup. I had about 5 bad blocks whilst doing the backup, should I be worried or doing the backup again?

5 is no problem, i think they say you can have upto 80 and still be ok.

56)no restart this application
57)install custom IOS223

Followed all steps up to here don't see where IOS223 is :grayno: after 222 it goes to 249.

Followed all steps up to here don't see where IOS223 is :grayno: after 222 it goes to 249.

Ok got past that now i'm stuck here:
59)ok now its time to install backup and usb launcher
60)ok boot to hbc
61)start wad manager 1.5
62)select IOS249
63)if asked here select disable
64)choose wii sd slot
65)hilight neo gamma r7.wad and install it
66)hilight usb loader and install it
67)when done click home button on wiimote

The wad manager actually shows as 1.4 & the the menu icon in the homebrew menu looks a bit messed up.

its fine - yeah I spotted that too - he means 1.4.

It doesn't matter about it looking messed up in the HBC folder - its just because there is no xml file in the folder of wad manager to tell HBC how to present it so it just says the name instead

You could of course download and use 1.5 in its place no problem also but 1.4 works fine (for me anyway)

for 65 and 66 also - can just download the latest version of neogamma and usb loader if you want as the versions on that guide are a little bit out of date - but doesnt really matter as they can be updated anytime

I went through this thoroughly & everything went fine until the last few steps then errors halted my progress, so after nearly two days of trying to sort it out i tried the https://www.digitalworldz.co.uk/index.php?threads/223480/ & it worked perfectly the first time.

Thanks to everyone who helped :)

One thing i did notice was when i was looking to restore my NAND backup i couldn't work out what to do with it. Could someone point me in the right direction on how to restore a NAND back up if required.

Back