AutoPicons and SNP

jonni

Inactive User
Reaction score
So using AutoPicon is for making sure your Service Reference picons don't go "missing" when channels change frequencies (reference).

So why would you need AutoPicons with Service Name Picons? With SNP the picons only go missing if channel changes name.

If you have the print numbers feature of n AB 28.2, you would need it. Only need to be run when channels change official number.

If you have the print numbers feature of n AB 28.2, you would need it. Only need to be run when channels change official number.
I thought symlinks don't work properly when AB 28.2 has print number enabled

Also I notice when channel names change like sports Ashes instead of sports 2, or the Tom cruise movie channel, the picon goes "missing". AutoPicons cannot keep up with these types of changes?

There are two types of picons, ServiceReferncePicons and ServiceNamedPicons. Decide which you want to use and configure the plugin accordingly. It will keep up with the changes with some limitations.

You will always need to get new picons for new channels.

If a channel has a rename, the service reference usually stays the same. So you won't need a new picon. If you are happy for this, it implies you are happy to use a picture for "Sky Sports 2" when the channel is now "Sky Sports Ashes". If you are not happy for this, you wll have to find a new picon, swap it over to make it correct now. You will have to do the same when it changes back.

With SNP, it will use the one with the same name. If you have both picons there, it will swap over automatically. This is particularly beneficial for the seasonal renames.

If you are happy to use the Sky Sports 2 picon for Sky Sports Ashes channel, just make a copy of it and rename it accordingly. (If on an ext file system, you can create a symlink.)

If you have disabled the print numbers feature on AB 28.2, and are using SNPs, there is no need for Autopicon feature of AB 28.2.

There are two types of picons, ServiceReferncePicons and ServiceNamedPicons. Decide which you want to use and configure the plugin accordingly. It will keep up with the changes with some limitations.

You will always need to get new picons for new channels.

If a channel has a rename, the service reference usually stays the same. So you won't need a new picon. If you are happy for this, it implies you are happy to use a picture for "Sky Sports 2" when the channel is now "Sky Sports Ashes". If you are not happy for this, you wll have to find a new picon, swap it over to make it correct now. You will have to do the same when it changes back.

With SNP, it will use the one with the same name. If you have both picons there, it will swap over automatically. This is particularly beneficial for the seasonal renames.

If you are happy to use the Sky Sports 2 picon for Sky Sports Ashes channel, just make a copy of it and rename it accordingly. (If on an ext file system, you can create a symlink.)

If you have disabled the print numbers feature on AB 28.2, and are using SNPs, there is no need for Autopicon feature of AB 28.2.

I do know about SNP and SRP but I didnt know too much about how AutoPicons work and limitations. I've got a better idea now thank you.

My USB storage where my picons are, is FAT format rather than EXT. This is perhaps why AutoPicon doesnt use sports 2 for Ashes, and goes missing when name changes. The actual icon doesn't bother me too much, as long as there is an icon for what the channel's actual name is still works.

I thought I could keep USB in FAT format but it seems like there are complications with symlinks surrounding this as this increases variables that can cause symlinks to not work.

What I am trying to achieve is, when channels temporarily change their name, movies or sports, I don't want the picon to go blank.

I am also curious about in what instances AutoPicon wont work, for eg

1) If my USB is FAT
Picon Link Location should be where?
Picon Folder location is USB

2) What about if USB is EXT format? Does it matter where the Picon Link Location is?

3) What if I use show channel number in ABM 28.2, I ask as AutoPicon worked when andTV HD launched but didn't work on a box that shows channel number (print channel number).

Are you using the print number feature of AB 28.2?
On one box yes.
On another, no.

I have noticed andTV and andTV HD have same picon with symlinks enabled on box without print number
but on box with print number, the new andtv HD channel picon is blank.

I am just trying to understand the points I made above.

1) If my USB is FAT (non-linux)
Picon Link Location should be where?
Picon Folder location is USB

2) What about if USB is EXT (linux) format? Does it matter where the Picon Link Location is?

3) What if I use show channel number in ABM 28.2, I ask as AutoPicon worked when andTV HD launched but didn't work on a box that shows channel number (print channel number). AutoPicons doesn't work at all?

Autopicons is a feature on Autobouquets 28.2. It was introduced in October 2013. What it did was rename conventional picons to 282_XXXX.png, where XXXX is the EPG ID of a channel. It then linked the service reference to the EPG_ID. EPG_ID is a constant. Service reference is a variable.

You could have picons on one device and links on another. N.B. Symbolic links can only be created on an ext device. However, Ab 28.2 does not check the file system before makeing options available.

A channel's service refernce stays the same irrespective of what it is called in bouquets. For example, almost all the ITV channels are called ITV. Someone can decide they want to rename them. If this is done, the customised name is shown in the bouquets. If you switch to viewing that same channel from the "all sats" menu, the channel will be called the offcial name, "ITV".

AB 28.2, print number:
What this does is print the number next to the name. "bbc one lon" will become "101-bbc one lon"

In this scenario, whatever the name of the channel, the service reference was the only thing that could be used to call upon the picon. Autopicon therefore just worked.

SNPicons were introduce in Autumn 2014. It is completely independent of Lraizers plugin. This allowed for a picon to be called using the channel's name. This removes the constant need to update picons when service references change. In addition any chanenl with the same name would show the picon instead of having to have several references for the same one. An example is Channel 4. Autopicon code is invoked as a last option if conventional picons are not found.

AB 28.2 was adapted to deal with this change by offering an extra variable. If you are using SRPs, Autopicons will still work whatever options you use in Ab 28.2. No need to change to SNPs. As hopefully explained above, service refernces for channel stay the same whatever the name is adpated to be. Even if "using print channel number".

If using Print channel number and SNPs: Lets use "101-bbc one lon" as an example
The picon system (if adapted to Autopicons) will look for service reference, then SNP name. if you have a picon called 101bbconelon.png ( "-" is an excluded character), it will be displayed. There is no need to involve AutoPicons in this process.

However, a person elsewhere in the country will not have "bbc one lon" at position 101. So what to do? We need a way to link number to name. Let's involve Auto picon in the process. If you select "SNPicons", it will link make symlinks "101bbconelon.png > bbconelon.png". These must be in the same location. Enigma2 will only use one valid picon location even if more are available. This rules out fat32 devices for Autopicons and SNPicons.

In summary....
If using Print number and Ordinary picons. Autopicons will work as it did before advent of SNpicons. Link/location can be differnt.
If using Print number and SNpicons, you must use an ext device, select SNPicons, link/location location must be the same.

If not using Print number, using Ordinary picons: Autopicons will work. Link/location can be differnt.
If not using Print number, using SNpicons: There is no need to use Autopicons.

Autopicons is a feature on Autobouquets 28.2. It was introduced in October 2013. What it did was rename conventional picons to 282_XXXX.png, where XXXX is the EPG ID of a channel. It then linked the service reference to the EPG_ID. EPG_ID is a constant. Service reference is a variable.

You could have picons on one device and links on another. N.B. Symbolic links can only be created on an ext device. However, Ab 28.2 does not check the file system before makeing options available.

A channel's service refernce stays the same irrespective of what it is called in bouquets. For example, almost all the ITV channels are called ITV. Someone can decide they want to rename them. If this is done, the customised name is shown in the bouquets. If you switch to viewing that same channel from the "all sats" menu, the channel will be called the offcial name, "ITV".

AB 28.2, print number:
What this does is print the number next to the name. "bbc one lon" will become "101-bbc one lon"

In this scenario, whatever the name of the channel, the service reference was the only thing that could be used to call upon the picon. Autopicon therefore just worked.

SNPicons were introduce in Autumn 2014. It is completely independent of Lraizers plugin. This allowed for a picon to be called using the channel's name. This removes the constant need to update picons when service references change. In addition any chanenl with the same name would show the picon instead of having to have several references for the same one. An example is Channel 4. Autopicon code is invoked as a last option if conventional picons are not found.

AB 28.2 was adapted to deal with this change by offering an extra variable. If you are using SRPs, Autopicons will still work whatever options you use in Ab 28.2. No need to change to SNPs. As hopefully explained above, service refernces for channel stay the same whatever the name is adpated to be. Even if "using print channel number".

If using Print channel number and SNPs: Lets use "101-bbc one lon" as an example
The picon system (if adapted to Autopicons) will look for service reference, then SNP name. if you have a picon called 101bbconelon.png ( "-" is an excluded character), it will be displayed. There is no need to involve AutoPicons in this process.

However, a person elsewhere in the country will not have "bbc one lon" at position 101. So what to do? We need a way to link number to name. Let's involve Auto picon in the process. If you select "SNPicons", it will link make symlinks "101bbconelon.png > bbconelon.png". These must be in the same location. Enigma2 will only use one valid picon location even if more are available. This rules out fat32 devices for Autopicons and SNPicons.

In summary....
If using Print number and Ordinary picons. Autopicons will work as it did before advent of SNpicons. Link/location can be differnt.
If using Print number and SNpicons, you must use an ext device, select SNPicons, link/location location must be the same.

If not using Print number, using Ordinary picons: Autopicons will work. Link/location can be differnt.
If not using Print number, using SNpicons: There is no need to use Autopicons.

Thank you for the "in summary". It explains how the settings/functions will behave very simply. Thats all I needed to know. I know most of the rest, thanks again!

Back