@ astrolab need a recipe

Rat

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
I just see a recipe for pulled pork (shredded pork) on tv but the recipe is very long lol
I was wondering if you had or maybe already posted a simpler way of this

this is what I have from the TV website

Ingredients
A 2.25 kg to 3 kg pork roast, preferably shoulder or boneless pork hand with fat and skin

For the dry rub
Ingredients
3 tbsp smoked paprika
1 tbsp granulated garlic
1 tbsp brown sugar
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp cumin powder or seeds
1 tbsp dry English mustard powder
3 tbsp coarse salt

Method
1. Combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix well.

For the barbecue sauce
Ingredients
480ml apple juice
1 large onion, finely chopped
55ml of vegetable oil
240ml cider vinegar
240ml English mustard
120ml ketchup
½ cup packed dark brown sugar
5 cloves of garlic cloves, smashed
1 tbsp salt
1 tsp cayenne
1 tsp coarse ground black pepper

[A cup is approx 240ml]

Method for barbecue sauce
1. In a heavy pot heat the oil over a medium high flame and sauté onion until soft and golden brown.

2. Add garlic and sauté another 2-3 minutes on low flame, so as not to burn the garlic.

3. Add apple juice, vinegar, sugar, salt, mustard, black pepper and cayenne.

4. Bring mixture to a boil and reduce heat to low and simmer for one hour.

5. Cool and use to sauce the pulled pork.

Method for the pork
1. Season the pork with dry rub, making deep cuts into the meat and pushing dry rub into the cuts. Wrap in cling film and refrigerate for a minimum of three hours or overnight.

2. Preheat oven to 200C/Gas 6.

3. Remove from wrap and bring to room temperature. Place meat in a heavy baking dish and add one cup apple juice and half a cup cider of vinegar.

4. Cover tightly with kitchen foil and roast in the preheated oven for one hour.

5. After an hour reduce the temperature to 100C/Gas ¼ and continue to roast for three hours.

6. Remove foil and check the meat. It should have a temperature of at least 170C to be ready.

7. Strain the sauce and de-fat it by using a sauce separator.

8. Recover the meat with foil and return to the oven adding 240ml of the cider vinegar sauce. Return to the oven at 100C/Gas ¼ for another hour.

9. Remove from the oven and let rest for an hour.

10. Move meat to a board and take off any fat and skin and reserve.

11. With two forks, shred the meat, or pull it apart or with your fingers.

12. Optional: Chop the remaining fat and skin finely together and add back into the pulled pork mixture, and it keeps the pork moist and flavourful. This is an optional step that is pure southern tradition.

13. Check seasoning and add more of the dry rub and barbecue sauce to taste.

14. Warm through in a saucepan or pot and serve mound high on a soft hamburger style bun topped with coleslaw.

AHAHAH... is a long way for cooking it.. wait I will give you a short one.. below:

Spiced pork in the slow cooker, with chile peppers and Southwest seasonings.
Ingredients:

Sauce:
1 cup thick barbecue sauce
1 medium onion, thinly sliced
2 cans (4.5 oz each) diced green chilies
3 tablespoons chili powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 boneless pork shoulder roast, 2 1/2 to 3 pounds, trimmed
1/2 cup chopped cilantro

Preparation:
Combine sauce ingredients in a bowl. Place pork in crock pot; pour sauce mixture over the pork, lifting pork slightly so sauce will flow under the roast. Cover and cook on LOW for 8 to 10 hours, or until pork is very tender. Remove pork to a cutting board and chop or shred with forks. If sauce is very liquid, cook down on the stove top until desired thickness and flavor is reached. Pour sauce into a serving bowl or leave in slow cooker; stir in the cilantro and the shredded pork. Serve with flour tortillas or split sandwich buns.
Serves 8.

Last edited:
Nice one astrolab :)

I know you wanted one from astrolab but there are loads of recipes for pulled pork at southernfood.about.com. There is one by Diana Rattray that sounds delicious and simple.

Cheers Tawke :)
I asked astrolab as he obviously knows his food stuffs and I would imagine he has tried many recipes in his years of being a chef :) and it shows he love searching for new stuff to try and it save us/ me searching lol :)

Back