Aspect ratio Only Fools and horses BBC HD at 4:3 How to change?

segel

Inactive User
Reaction score
Among a few over channels, but just watching OFAH atm and have tried changing the display content and just cant full screen it.

Is there a plugin that auto resolutions when a program is on that changes the aspect ratio to full screen when needed?

Cheers,

Only fools and horses was recorded before wide screen tvs had been invented so if you stretch it well guess

edogg

You can either have everybody look fat, or cut their heads off.

...or look at it in the intended 4:3 ratio.

I'm talking about a plugin or something of such like there is in vlc player were you can re-size the screen. I.E aspect ratio or crop, but in the Vu duo case. An auto resolution thing.

I'm talking about a plugin or something of such like there is in vlc player were you can re-size the screen. I.E aspect ratio or crop, but in the Vu duo case. An auto resolution thing.

If you enable wide screen switching (WSS) from the Audio/Video menu it will do it automatically but as said it will just stretch the aspect ratio and everybody will look fat :)

Hi mate, on the solo black hole image you go to menu/setup/system/AV settings then there 2 settings 'display 4:3 content as' and 'display 16:9 content as' change them to just scale.

Just to add OFAH on BBC SD is full screen

Hi mate, on the solo black hole image you go to menu/setup/system/AV settings then there 2 settings 'display 4:3 content as' and 'display 16:9 content as' change them to just scale.

Thanks for trying to help mate, it's the same on VIX but in this case it doesn't change the ratio to fit the screen

Hmm, strange are you in front of you're box now? Put nick jr on. Is peppa pig full screen?

Hmm, strange are you in front of you're box now? Put nick jr on. Is peppa pig full screen?

Missedd it lol it's one offf them things were no matter what you try within the settings on the box you just can't ffull screen it, come Monday any want to try |BBC HD when OFAH is on and get's ddiffferent tell me otherwise. Thanks

The 4:3 aspect ratio seems to be a problem on the Duo when some programs are broadcasted on certain channels.

I've noticed often the same program when viewed on the Sky+ HD box covers the full screen.

I don't think you can alter any ratio on any box when on a HD channel

You can't alter the AR, when broadcasters add/transmit the the black bars to maintain the correct AR on HD channels.

Why people insist on stretching/distorting an image just so the image fills the screen is beyond me, tbh. I'd rather watch a programme in its native AR, with black bars than s-t-r-e-t-c-h-o-v-i-s-i-o-n

Sent from my HTC using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
:goodpost:
Im with you there mate, I cant abide it if its out of proportion lol

I'd rather watch a normal full screen, that's why I brought the TV in that Inch. With black bars round the Image you might as well be watching a smaller Inch TV. Changing the AR to cut out the bars and view the image in full screen doesn't seam that it's Stretching/Distorting the image, it brings the image more to life and in in it's proper state. When the camrea man shoot the stuff through his lens, did he have black bars round the screen in his lens?. You wouldn't think looking at your laptop or desktop comp with black bars round the edges is normal. Annoys me with Films that you watch too.

I'd rather watch a normal full screen, that's why I brought the TV in that Inch. With black bars round the Image you might as well be watching a smaller Inch TV.Changing the AR to cut out the bars and view the image in full screen doesn't seam that it's Stretching/Distorting the image, it brings the image more to life and in in it's proper state.

Sorry but yes it does seem like the image is being stretched and distorted and it isnt' in its proper state. It was shot in an 4:3 AR and thats the way it as intended to be viewed.

Have a look at Red Dwarf thats been on all day on Dave.

Have a look at the SD version in s-t-r-e-t-c-h-o-v-s-i-o-n and the HD version with the correct AR.

The picture is distorted by comparison, the Dave dog shouldn't be oval as it is on the SD version and Lister shouldn't be that fat :Biggrin2:

Its the same if you compare old episodes of the Simpsons shot in 4;3...

When the camrea man shoot the stuff through his lens, did he have black bars round the screen in his lens?
But it was shot in 4:3. you're viewing on a 16:9 screen...

You wouldn't think looking at your laptop or desktop comp with black bars round the edges is normal.

Yes if i was viewing 4:3 content on it.

Annoys me with Films that you watch too.

Then you need a Philips 21:9 screen :Biggrin2:

Last edited:
But it was shot in 4:3. you're viewing on a 16:9 screen...

So from what i'm understanding from you, correct me if i'm misunderstanding you if something is shot in a format it will always be viewed in that format on the TV. I.E The Simpson, OHAF...

If I'm viewing on a 16:9 screen and OFAH was shot in 4:3, it will be viewed in that format and you will therefore have to put up with the black bars? correct?

So from what i'm understanding from you, correct me if i'm misunderstanding you if something is shot in a format it will always be viewed in that format on the TV. I.E The Simpson, OHAF...

If I'm viewing on a 16:9 screen and OFAH was shot in 4:3, it will be viewed in that format and you will therefore have to put up with the black bars? correct?

On an HD channel where the black bars have been added by the broadcaster to maintain the correct AR,yes.

If you don't like the image not filling the screen, watch the SD channel and stretch it...

On an HD channel where the black bars have been added by the broadcaster to maintain the correct AR,yes.

If you don't like the image not filling the screen, watch the SD channel and stretch it...

Just find it very strange that you can stretch it on an SD channel but you can't on the HD channel. When clearly another member has already stated the image is different on a Sky HD Box

Last edited:
you are actually seeing the video in 16:9 ratio and the black bars are an integral part of it because the broadcaster has deliberately put them in, if they didnt you would have dark grey bars (depending on the tv's black level abilities) but you would have the option to stretch it to full screen
Why dont you just watch the SD version and let the TV do the upscaling

Back