Apple TV questions

Purity

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm hoping you can help? I'm new to the Apple TV scene and was hoping you could answer some questions before I buy one?

I've fitted a new TV in my bedroom but there is no aerial so I intended to hookup an Apple TV via a powerline adaptor into my network ans use XBMC

My questions are:

1) Can you jailbreak all current Apple TV boxes? Do they need to be on a specific firmware, or of a specific model/generation?

2) I'd like to use XBMC. Does this version allow SMB connections to Windows shares? Can I also hook into a Windows Media Centre box or other UPNP boxes?

3) Is it possible to make a connection to a dreambox? I know this is possible on normal XBMC, so assume it would be the same?

Cheers

Hi guys,

I'm hoping you can help? I'm new to the Apple TV scene and was hoping you could answer some questions before I buy one?

I've fitted a new TV in my bedroom but there is no aerial so I intended to hookup an Apple TV via a powerline adaptor into my network ans use XBMC

My questions are:

1) Can you jailbreak all current Apple TV boxes? Do they need to be on a specific firmware, or of a specific model/generation? YES 4.4.4 I think is the latest and there is a new untethered jb

2) I'd like to use XBMC. Does this version allow SMB connections to Windows shares? Can I also hook into a Windows Media Centre box or other UPNP boxes? YES... although I think AFP works better but I have no issues with SMB shares.

3) Is it possible to make a connection to a dreambox? I know this is possible on normal XBMC, so assume it would be the same? Not sure don't have a dream box, but would very much doubt it has enough power to do that?

Cheers

Cheers chaps.

I saw the post about 4.4.4, but my question really was geared towards, am i going to have any issues when I buy a new apple tv - do i need a specific model/revision etc. If the current firmware is 4.4.4 for all then it sounds like I'm ok :)

I had the same thoughts but I got a new one on Saturday, got it home and fw was 4.4.3 - upgraded online and used seasonpass to jb then added xbmc eden, all running sweet now, cracking little media box :)

Ok, I've done some reading now, and I have a good idea on how to jailbreak a 4.4.4 box using seasonpass, and install software etc via Windows SSH client

It looks like Apple TV is perfect for my needs, so I've just ordered one. Hopefully I won't screw it up :)

Ok, I've done some reading now, and I have a good idea on how to jailbreak a 4.4.4 box using seasonpass, and install software etc via Windows SSH client

It looks like Apple TV is perfect for my needs, so I've just ordered one. Hopefully I won't screw it up :)

If you get a copy of ATV Flash black 1.1.1 it should make it ten times easier

Sent from my Motorola Xoom using tapatalk

If you get a copy of ATV Flash black 1.1.1 it should make it ten times easier

Sent from my Motorola Xoom using tapatalk

But don't you have to pay for ATV Flash black 1.1.1?

ive had mines a while and ive messed about with it a few times and i didnt jailbreak for ages as i just had it in my girls room for them to watch there films off the laptop. but last couple days ive been onit jailbreakin it and adding things. i bought a copy off that atv flash black and it does seem easyier with that at installing things. only problem just now is tryin to get icefilms loaded as it isnt loaded on this one so ill need to add it myself which im tryin to figure out still just now. but jailbreakin it sure does give u loads off other options and add ons. theres still other things i havent tired yet liking the mirroring with the ipad 2 but ill give that a bash tonight

any other time i would search and not pay but the one time i dont i would have saved myself 20 quid lol

Jailbreaked and installed XBMC via ATV Flash back.

I was quite worried after jailbreaking.....the first couple of times I powered up it was really slow to initialise. It was sat on the Apple logo for ages.

Anyway finally booted up. I installed ATV Flash back and XBMC. The Apple TV seems to boot up ok now, but I'll keep an eye on it

One question I wanted to ask. What are the best/recommended plugins for XBMC to install?

Icefilms mainly.

Also install Youtube in XMBC (not to use) because there is an issue when scanning/updating the database with the metadata where it continually says it can't connect. Oddly installing Youtube fixes it.

Last edited:
i canna believe i didnt install icefilms ages ago. last couple days it wasnt appearin on the add ons so worked out how to add it and spent the last couple hours fartin around with it. that alone has to be worth the money for it. theres tons off films on there and watchin them is just as good as dvds. i might even try picking another atv2 up for my girls room. but i saw that if u installed icefilms on another atv2 it will only stream to one off the atv2 on the same network unless u pay money towards mega upload but then thats gotta be worth it alone

Back