Anyone got a fish tank in VERY HARD WATER AREA???

Never EVER boil the tap water before putting it into a fish tank
Clean the fish tank out, and fill it with tap water
Buy some of the chlorine remover stuff, and put that in it as directed on the bottle
Put your stuff in there, i.e stones, plants, etc...
Wait 3 days
Put your fish in there

your a bit paranoid sargie, i post no differently with you, than anyone else. simply my style.

as for Juwel tanks i stand by my comments, Oh and their lights are known as a bit suspect too.
Plecos. i, honestly didn't need you to point out how big, some Plecos grow. of that i am fully aware. but as you point out, the BN, gets no more than 4 inches. so the validity of my knowledge is, in this case, proved. you, however, needed to look it up, and that's after you made a statement, claiming you had, enough, knowledge to, contradict what i said. as for the volume they need. that's where experience comes in. 15 g with larger filter area, not pump strength, seems to be an ok size for BN. though if you want a "community" tank, 30+g is a most. indeed a breeding couple can be kept in 20g. what the books say, and what, can, be done are often different.

i agree some fish need area to swim, some need it for territory and some need it coz they are filthy fish. only dirty fish need "pure" volume. the rest need area. a "common" pleco can reach 18-24 inches, it only needs volume for its waste and providing the tank is wider than the fish is long 4-5 foot long is big enough. but, lets say, a Bala shark needs area, not volume, as they are swimming machines. so 6-8 feet is a minimum, as they are shoaling fish, needing to be kept in 3's minimum, but the area needed goes up by very little.

ultimately you can keep fish how you like. and even keeping fish in "inappropriate" tanks does not mean you fish will die, though they will live shorter lives. you may not even notice your fish are stressed. its only when you graduate from someone who keeps fish, to a fishkeeper. that you begin to see what you can get away with and what you fish needs, are not always the same. as a fishkeeper, my job is to make an, unnatural, environment as healthy as possible. i don't always manage, but i try.

Oh dear, you are going to be upset, AGAIN. Juwel don't make "custom" tanks, not for customers anyway. and they make nothing in the uk. one of the main reasons the don't(make custom tanks), is nobody would buy them. there are many small firms that do custom tanks in the UK. all show much better Finnish and quality than any Juwel tank.all juwel tanks are made in Germany, or sourced from the far east. i guess there could be a small contractor in the UK, but not conected with tank building. as far as i know thy don't have an "official" office in the UK.

:) the good old your paranoid excuse pmsl.

You obviously didnt read my post properly then i said his dad knew someone in the uk who at the time built tanks for juwel. He personaly constructed there tank as a custom job not juwel the guy who his dad knows.

You probably know a ton more than me about tanks,fish,filters the lot but what i buy i research before i do i always try to ensure i get the best bang for buck i can i know people who have owned juwel tanks for years and swear by them and i read plenty of unbiased online reviews before i bought one.

Id love to buy a bigger better setup lets face it there is plenty of choice out there but at this time i bought a tank to suit space,budget and the level of my skill in this hobby.

Juwel are german made germans are one of the best craftsmen in the world. Maybe thats why you dont like em :)

Right im off coz the voices in my head are telling me your out to get me time to close the curtains switch the lights off and sit in the corner and rock.

Never EVER boil the tap water before putting it into a fish tank
Clean the fish tank out, and fill it with tap water
Buy some of the chlorine remover stuff, and put that in it as directed on the bottle
Put your stuff in there, i.e stones, plants, etc...
Wait 3 days
Put your fish in there

and watch your fish die. tanks need cycled guy. and no force on the planet will do that in 3 days. boiled water is no problem in "any" fish tank. indeed for many years, fishkeepres used only boiled water (cooled of course), for water changes. they no longer do it, because the other silly fish myth, was that water from the hotwater system, would in some way poison the fish. thankfully, intelligence has prevailed though. there are some arguments that boiling might destroy any seeds on aerobic bacteria, the water contains. but its only relevant to "cycling" tanks, not general water changes. and is, probably, irrelevant anyway.

@sargie
someone in the uk who at the time built tanks for juwel
they dont,. and never have, made tanks in the UK. see i did read it.
Right im off coz the voices in my head are telling me your out to get me time to close the curtains switch the lights off and sit in the corner and rock.
mate, you are taking this, way, too seriously. c'mon, get it in proportion. its just marks on a screen, not real life.

and watch your fish die. tanks need cycled guy. and no force on the planet will do that in 3 days. boiled water is no problem in "any" fish tank. indeed for many years, fishkeepres used only boiled water (cooled of course), for water changes. they no longer do it, because the other silly fish myth, was that water from the hotwater system, would in some way poison the fish. thankfully, intelligence has prevailed though. there are some arguments that boiling might destroy any seeds on aerobic bacteria, the water contains. but its only relevant to "cycling" tanks, not general water changes. and is, probably, irrelevant anyway.

@sargie
they dont,. and never have, made tanks in the UK. see i did read it.

mate, you are taking this, way, too seriously. c'mon, get it in proportion. its just marks on a screen, not real life.

Ive just spoken to my m8 and your right i got my wires crossed bearing in mind he told me this years ago!

His dads friend knew a guy who built custom tanks, John allen aquariums. At the time he was responsible for introducing juwel aquariums into the uk. (see were i got confused im human) :)

And this is real life it's just written word and not spoken.

EDIT: he has just passed me this link over msn just so you don't think im lying boboboy.
http://www.johnallanaquariums.co.uk/aboutus.aspx

So technicaly his tank is a custom made juwel tank ;)

Last edited:
And this is real life it's just written word and not spoken.

So technicaly his tank is a custom made juwel tank ;)

yep, see your point on the "juwel" question. i never thought you were lying, confused, or misinformed perhaps, but not lying.
you might ask your friend if he remembers a tank builder with the surname of Kaminski, cant remember his first name. he was a "bespoke builder.

i gota disagree on the "real life". nothing that happens on here, should effect your self-esteem. indeed, it should not affect anyone for more than a few minutes, imo. unless, they "take it too seriously".

yep, see your point on the "juwel" question. i never thought you were lying, confused, or misinformed perhaps, but not lying.
you might ask your friend if he remembers a tank builder with the surname of Kaminski, cant remember his first name. he was a "bespoke builder.

i gota disagree on the "real life". nothing that happens on here, should effect your self-esteem. indeed, it should not affect anyone for more than a few minutes, imo. unless, they "take it too seriously".

Yep i take everything to heart your right there my wife would say im too sensitive, passionate about things id say :)

His dad at the time knew john from the pair, he sent me a pic of his tank over msn he has a lovly sail fin plec in there.

Yep i take everything to heart your right there my wife would say im too sensitive, passionate about things id say :)

Ahh, well for my part, i don't often read who started the thread, let alone who makes any post. i just take the theme and run with it. unfortunately, as i don't let posts effect me. i forget that they may upset others.

The guy a asked about in my last thread "kaminski". turns out his name as "ken watts". he married a Ukrainian girl, and for some reason changed his name to hers.

Back