anyone cracked wep...???

loady

Inactive User
Reaction score
Im trying to follow a guide to crack wep encryption, i am purely doing it for educational purposes and it is also an introduction to linux for me...the guide uses VMware 6 and a back track 2 iso ..... following the guide i am getting stumped at the part where it says........(highlighted in red)

Now, mount the virtual CD-ROM and install the tools.

BT ~ # mount /dev/hdc /mnt/hdc_cdrom
BT ~ # cd /tmp

BT ~ # tar -zxvf /mnt/hdc_cdrom/VMware-X.X.X-XXX.tar.gz (Insert the proper numbers into the x's you'll have to check the directory of the virtual tools image to find these out)
BT ~ # cd vmware-tools-distrib

BT ~ # ./vmware-install.pl

I can post the kink to the guide if needed but have not in case its agaibst the rules.

Why don't you just burn a backtrack cd? It'll come in useful in the future.

Anyway, on to your problem. From what I can gather (I found the guide you're working from) the vmware image is set up so it has a virtual cd drive (i.e. it mounts an iso as a drive like daemon tools). The commands just extract the tools and run the setup script. Replace the XXXXX with whatever the file is called in that directory.

So for example, do the 'mount /dev/hdc .....', then 'cd /tmp'. Now you're in the tmp directory where you'll extract to. Now either type 'ls /mnt/hdc_cdrom' followed by enter (this will list the contents of the directory, and you'll be able to see what needs to go in as XXXXX), or type 'tar -xzf /mnt/hdc_cdrom/VMware-' and press tab (no enter) which will auto complete the file name. Now press enter, and the file will extract and you can continue.

Good luck

edit: I've re-read the guide, and I think I've figured out what you're doing wrong. Assuming you've folowed it precisely, you've installed backtrack onto the virtual harddrive. You should then make sure that you're booting from this drive and not the backtrack iso that you used to install. Shut down the vm and change the cd device for the vm from the backtrack iso to either a real device or nothing. Now when you boot up, you'll be booting the installed version. Next click on the VM->Install VMWare tools menu, and it will create a virtual cd drive you can mount and install from.

Sorry for misunderstanding before

edit again :) It's only possible to use usb wireless devices from within a virtual machine (not builtin or PCMCIA etc). So unless you've got something like a WUSB54G v4 (my favorite), you'll not be able to do any WEP cracking. Even then it might be problematic, although I have got it to work with linux as a host OS. If you boot from a backtrack cd though, you'll have loads more options.

Last edited:
Should have posted in the linux section (is there one?), the part in red is on extracting the archive.

tar - Linux equivalent of WinZip, WinRar etc
-z (gzip) x (extract) v (verbose) f (file)
/mnt/hdc_cdrom/ Path to CD
VMwarexxxx.tar.gz

So copy the command as in the guide but replace the filename with whatever you're trying to extract and make sure the path is correct. In your example the VMware file is in the root of the CD.

Tanks beady....your right, but surely i dont need to do it then because i had mounted back track 2 in daemon tools prior to starting guide...maybe i just need to skip that part im stuck on as back track 2 is already loaded ?...also i was told that i could live boot the back track if i burn it to disk, then i wont have to bother with all that other stuff and VMware ??...is there a comprehensive step by step guide on how to do it once i have got back track 2 running ?

Thanks.

but surely i dont need to do it then because i had mounted back track 2 in daemon tools prior to starting guide
IF you want to use the VMware route, try this:
-Create a new vm as per the specs in the guide.
-Add a virtual CD drive to the vm, using the backtrack iso as the source file.
-Boot the vm and install it to backtrack to the vm's hd as per the guide.
-Shutdown the vm, and remove the virtual cd drive.
-Startup the vm, and it will now boot from the virtual hard disk. Now, click on VM->Install vmware tools in the vmware menu, which creates a new virtual cd drive (/dev/hdc_cdrom), and follow the remaining instructions from the guide.
This should get it installed properly.

I'm confused as to how you got this set up. Following the guide you had, you wouldn't need (or even want) Daemon tools:(. Anyway, I think that this VMware stuff isn't going to work anyway, or is certainly not the best way to go about it. Burn the Backtrack iso from a CD and boot from that. You'll have access to all the hardware.

Unfortunately, there isn't (as far as I know) a 'complete guide' to doing the crack. It all depends on what hardware you have, and what sort of defences the target (i.e. your 'test' ;) network ) has in place. A google with 'backtrack wep cracking' turns up loads of good tutorials, maybe add in your wireless card make as well for a narrower search.

edit: I've just done the vmware bt2 install as per the guide, and the only thing I had to change was all references to 'hdc' became 'hda'. Worked fine apart from that.

Last edited:
Back