anybody know dish size for Gran Alcante for uk tv

extraspark

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hello all,

Does anybody know the dish size for Gran Alcante in Spain to pick up uk TV, people were using 1m dishes but because Astra 28.2 moved I believe last year the dish size might have gone up. My friend wants to know, I always thought you needed a 1.5m+ dish over there to receive UK TV. I told my friend that he would be able to pick up a few African sats over there if he had a motorised dish etc and would be a better option but then I suppose with a 1.5m+ you would need more than your normal tm2600 to turn it!
Any info greatly appreciated thanks

Hello all,

Does anybody know the dish size for Gran Alcante in Spain to pick up uk TV, people were using 1m dishes but because Astra 28.2 moved I believe last year the dish size might have gone up. My friend wants to know, I always thought you needed a 1.5m+ dish over there to receive UK TV. I told my friend that he would be able to pick up a few African sats over there if he had a motorised dish etc and would be a better option but then I suppose with a 1.5m+ you would need more than your normal tm2600 to turn it!
Any info greatly appreciated thanks

you could try intelsat [email protected] for the backup downlink if you have a TM5402HD or similar although E2 Linux stb,s can resolve it also. 1.5M+ dish needs a polar mount and actuator but you really need to speak to a installer down there to see what sized dish will give reliable reception from ASTRA2F/2G. regards mdt

Thanks for that I did think of 27.5W as I heard that gives some uk channels

i have been told by a installer that they don't know yet as it has not been finalized and they will have to give it time to test it,

Thanks for that I will let my friend know as I have struggeld to find exact information on it, so it must be like you said they need time to test it etc.

Although some channels moved from 1N to 2F earlier this year and can be received on a 1m-1.25m dish in Gran Alacant, many people and a very low number of honest installers, are actually waiting for the move of BBC ITV C4s from 1N to 2E before doing anything. As 2E is scheduled for launch on the 19th July, and not expected to be operational until September, anyone of the "less than honest" installers saying they know what sized dish you need NOW for future reception is only guessing and speculating. So yes, the best thing to do is wait for a few months to see exactly what sized dish will be required, rather than going for it now when no-one knows exactly what will be required.

Although some channels moved from 1N to 2F earlier this year and can be received on a 1m-1.25m dish in Gran Alacant, many people and a very low number of honest installers, are actually waiting for the move of BBC ITV C4s from 1N to 2E before doing anything. As 2E is scheduled for launch on the 19th July, and not expected to be operational until September, anyone of the "less than honest" installers saying they know what sized dish you need NOW for future reception is only guessing and speculating. So yes, the best thing to do is wait for a few months to see exactly what sized dish will be required, rather than going for it now when no-one knows exactly what will be required.

Thanks for a good update so hopefully after September the picture will be a lot clearer so to say. Thanks again.

I picked up Nilesat 7 degrees West on a triax 1.1 dish near Malaga last year.
So yea, try for the African sats.. Good film channels and all in English.

I picked up Nilesat 7 degrees West on a triax 1.1 dish near Malaga last year.
So yea, try for the African sats.. Good film channels and all in English.

Thanks for that Africa sats are a definite then, are the channels mainly encrypted are there good FTA on the African sats?

Hi Extaspark, Yea film channels on Nilesat are FTA. Check out.. The MBC 1,2,3,4 Max, Action and Drama channels... Also Foxfilms and Fox series... Also if you are into EPL, check out Arabsat 30.5 degrees E., There is a channel on that sat called Eri tv, it shows Sat 3pm games.Its encrypted by Biss. ( you can get the keys on this site no doubt )... My wife is Morrocian, I spend a lot of time in North Africa, moving my dish around.

Hi Extaspark, Yea film channels on Nilesat are FTA. Check out.. The MBC 1,2,3,4 Max, Action and Drama channels... Also Foxfilms and Fox series... Also if you are into EPL, check out Arabsat 30.5 degrees E., There is a channel on that sat called Eri tv, it shows Sat 3pm games.Its encrypted by Biss. ( you can get the keys on this site no doubt )... My wife is Morrocian, I spend a lot of time in North Africa, moving my dish around.

Thanks for the info I will get my m8 to check it out and thanks for the heads up on the EPL I know a little bit about Biss so that is great too.

Any update on the dish size in this area regarding 28.2 East and the Astra Sat, just wondered as I have still heard of people out there selling 1.2m dishes for Astra and just wanted to know whether the new satellite they put up is now in operation with the narrower beam etc.
Any advice greatly appreciated.

New satellite (Astra 2E) took over from 1N early Feb. There are 'hotspots' in parts of Spain, but the roll-offs are very steep, so probably best to ask someone who lives nearby i.e. no more than 10 ~ 15km away. Don't rely on SES' official footprint maps, they're figments of someone's imagination. A couple of other forums have home-grown footprint maps, probably a lot more reliable.

Any update on the dish size in this area regarding 28.2 East and the Astra Sat, just wondered as I have still heard of people out there selling 1.2m dishes for Astra and just wanted to know whether the new satellite they put up is now in operation with the narrower beam etc.
Any advice greatly appreciated.

New satellite (Astra 2E) took over from 1N early Feb. There are 'hotspots' in parts of Spain, but the roll-offs are very steep, so probably best to ask someone who lives nearby i.e. no more than 10 ~ 15km away. Don't rely on SES' official footprint maps, they're figments of someone's imagination. A couple of other forums have home-grown footprint maps, probably a lot more reliable.

Thanks for that, I will have a look for a home-grown footprint

Back