Anybody got a pet rat?

Baaheeduk

Inactive User
Reaction score
In a house with lots of alcohol on the go!!
No jokes about DW's Rat please ;)

I'm seriously looking for good advice on them though? My daughter wants one but I've read that although very friendly they need a minimum 1 hours handling per day, I'm not so sure it's a good idea to let her have one just now tbh! She's 8 years old.

Advice welcome!

TIA

I'm seriously looking for good advice on them though? My daughter wants one but I've read that although very friendly they need a minimum 1 hours handling per day, I'm not so sure it's a good idea to let her have one just now tbh! She's 8 years old.

Advice welcome!

TIA

I used to have a pet rat called marley mate. Handle them as much as you can, as it will make them super tame. But you can get something called a dumbo rat and thats normally pretty tame too. The more you handle it, the more comfortable the rat will become around people. Great pet, although they only live about 2 years.

Rats are very social and if your daughter isn't going to handle as much as you think you would be better off getting 2 (females,as males smell more)

Rats live in groups so having a pair would be good
they are also very clever so it would be a good idea to have plenty of toys in the cage and treated wood for them to gnaw on :)

when I was a teen I had one and it was very very tame,I used to take it most places with me lol I even used to take it out with me on my Vespa,made a nest of cloths in the front toolbox and put it in there (Id get reported now days lol)

I wouldn't say your daughter is too young at all,but would seriously advise on 2 if handling is going to be minimal

Im sure most places will say they are the ideal pet,you know everyone loves a Rat! ;) lol

Rats are very social and if your daughter isn't going to handle as much as you think you would be better off getting 2 (females,as males smell more)

Rats live in groups so having a pair would be good
they are also very clever so it would be a good idea to have plenty of toys in the cage and treated wood for them to gnaw on :)

when I was a teen I had one and it was very very tame,I used to take it most places with me lol I even used to take it out with me on my Vespa,made a nest of cloths in the front toolbox and put it in there (Id get reported now days lol)

I wouldn't say your daughter is too young at all,but would seriously advise on 2 if handling is going to be minimal

Im sure most places will say they are the ideal pet,you know everyone loves a Rat! ;) lol

So how did you get your nickname then?

Said in my best trigger accent lol

lol one day ill yell ya ;)
lets get Baaheeduk daughter a pet Rat :)

lol one day ill yell ya ;)

i got told that many years ago, during a naked barn dance, there was a bucket, and it was full of things you may find in a house. most things were small, like a thimble, cotton wool ball, etc. everyone took something, then they had to take a bit of paper telling them what to do with their object

rat ended up with a, erm, rat, and his bit of paper said 'hide your object upon your person'. As everyone was naked, rat improvised, and won the game

his farts havent been right since, and he gained a new nickname

but, thats just what i heard

:proud:

pmsl how do you come up with these things lol

Advice welcome!

TIA

Our Family keeps 2 pet rats and have kept rats for about 4 years now.
As already mentioned rats are very social animals and should only be kept in single sex pairs!

If you are going to keep just one, then remember that you are its playmate and companion.

Personaly i dont thinks it right to keep just one unless you are going to give them alot of your time.

Dont buy rats from "petshops!" or the likes of Pets at home.
Most of them are bred from poor stock and may suffer from health problems, poor temprament, mental health problems etc.

Buy from a registered Breeder or at least one that has good reputation!

Breeders wont let you have lone rats, unless you are going to introduce them to an established same sex family.

Like Dogs there are Pedigree rats and different varieties, colours, coats, Dumbo or Top ear (normal), even bald ones.

Female (doe) rats tend to be more active than males and grow smaller in size.

Male (Buck) rats tend to more docile and lazy (A lap rat if you like), but can grow alot larger than females.

Male rats can tend to scent mark everyone and everything (in other words pee on everything).

Female rats do this less, but bear in mind that Rats like mice do not have bladders, so they pee alot compared to Hamsters say.

This will involve regular cleaning of the cage unless you like the smell of amonia.

Rats are highly inteligent animals and need constant stimulation and learn very quickly!

Its very easy to teach most rats to use a couple of corner toilets and this makes life less smelly with the right litter.

Choosing a cage can be a nightmare if you dont know what not to buy!

Dont buy any cage that has a wire mess floor or bottom in it as this causes feet deformation (called bumblefoot).

Have a look on Ebay and buy a second hand one and you can save alot of money.

Just watch the bar spacing, as baby rats can easily squeeze through and escape through wide bars.

Bird cages and indoor Aviaries make good cages, as they tend to have pull out litter trays in the bottom, which makes for easier cleaning.

Unless you buy a purpose built cage such as a Ferplast Jenny, which come with shelves pipes etc.
You will need to customise your cage with Ferplast corner shelves, ropes, hammocks, hanging toys etc.

Dont buy Glass tanks as the amonia build up will cause breathing problems and in sulight you will "cook your rats".

Rats make great pets and usually dont bite unless they come from bad stock (pet shops).

They may make the mistake that your fingers are food if you wil insist on feeding through the bars, but they do know the diffrence and it does not hurt.

Be aware that Male rats can become very agressive, due to testosterone , that may be controllled by getting them castrated.

Rats make great pets for kids as they are not Nopturnal (like hamsters), so are awake when you are.

Anway i have some links for you that will prove useful for choosing breeders, advice and cages etc.

Forums:
rat forum : starratz

This is where our rats came from:
Welcome to Twilight Rattery
We travelled a 7hour round trip to get them and i can say as a breeder Kaz is the best!

Ratty Corner and the Brandywine Rats

This is a great place to start:
National Fancy Rat Society

cages:
Parrot, Bird and Rodent cages from Pet World Direct

Parrot Cages | Dog, Ferret, Rat & Bird Cages | JustCages UK

Another good site:
Rat Hammocks, Rat Cages, Rat Accessories, Ferret Hammocks, Ferret Cages, Ferret : Buy Online Now from www.EquineCanineFeline.com Horse & Pet Products UK, Pet accessories and equestrian supplies for all cats, dogs, rats, rabbits, ferrets, hamsters, po

Any further advice just ask?

I'd recommend rats as a pet to anyone, no doubt about it. One thing though. As mentioned before, they don't live that long, only a few years. When it does go, she'll be devestated, they aren't "meh" kinda pets like hamsters & gerbils, she will likely become very attached to it.

I'd recommend rats as a pet to anyone, no doubt about it. One thing though. As mentioned before, they don't live that long, only a few years. When it does go, she'll be devestated, they aren't "meh" kinda pets like hamsters & gerbils, she will likely become very attached to it.

Already been there when the Guinea Pigs popped thier clogs :(

A lot of good info here Cliff :) and all saying there great pets,so is it looking good for the wee one ?

Back