Any Soldering experts?

morashid679

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I'm in a pickle here with my Duo and Solo.

I need to change the security chip to 3.2.

If anyone can do it I can give them a chip and a drink for their effort.

I'm in hemel so if anyone is close I can bring it to you.

Thanks

Sent using Tapatalk.

Here is the guide.

Attachments

• Vu_Duo_v2_to_v3_Security_Chip_Upgrade_Guide.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 24
I have that guide m8, it's only I'm no good at it. Soldering or de-soldering.

I've tried the pump,wick etc.
i have a hot air tool and a 30w iron.

Sent using Tapatalk.

You have to be very careful with this, as you don't want to pull up solder track points. The best thng to do is. Get a solder pump, and soldering iron, a spot light (Which will help you see a hell of a lot better) maybe a magnifing glass, and go at the points from the bottom, one by one pulling the chip up bit by bit, until it is all out. It will take time, and remember to use lots of flux.

First of all apply the flux over the area your desolding, then take the iron to it, and have the soldering pump ready for when it melts then press the suck up button, do this to all 7 points then go back and touch the iron down to the individual points again, will pulling the chip away carefully from the top. Then repeat on the other points and you will see it will starting to edge out.

Good luck if you decide to try it.

Be careful if you use a solder sucker as it can suck the tracks off the pcb if you are not careful. Your safest way is to use braid. It helps if you add more solder to the joints before you try unsoldering them. Also do not have the iron to hot as this can also lift the tracks.

agree with the other posts, be carefull, practice on old electronics with similar type/size chips till you get 1 of without damaging tracks, as for soldering iron i would use an 18-20 watt

Can do it if your stuck, two minute job but you would have to post it to me, easy to do it yourself though, add some leaded solder to the joints, get the worst off with the solder sucker then finish off with the braid.

I only posted the guide so any volunteers would see what was involved before taking up the task.

Anyway, can the legs be snipped off one at a time on the existing daughter board? Once all snipped, removing the leg remnants would be easy as they can be done individually.

With regards to making hole available for new legs (based on other devices), I normally add some solder, heat up and put a pin in. remove heat and keep twisting the pin so it does not adhere. After it cools, pull the pin away. Repeat for all and you can just pop the new one in without even worrying about cleaning up with the wick.

Last edited by a moderator:
I only posted the guide so any volunteers would see what was involved before taking up the task.

Anyway, can the legs be snipped off one at a time on the existing daughter board? Once all snipped, removing the leg remnants would be easy as they can be done individually.

With regards to making hole available for new legs (based on other devices), I normally add some solder, heat up and put a pin in. remove heat and keep twisting the pin so it does not adhere. After it cools, pull the pin away. Repeat for all and you can just pop the new one in without even worrying about cleaning up with the wick.

That seems a very plausible idea. It would be easier to remove the legs one by one after snipping off the chip.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Sent using Tapatalk.

Last edited by a moderator:
I messed it up. B&£(,!&?s.

I cut the legs off and I put some flux on the pads before hearing and sucking it then wicking it.

I tried with the pin an all.

Sent using Tapatalk.

If any thing you wanted to shorten the legs on the bottom side. Not compleatly cut them off from the chip, That way, it would of saved abit of time edging the chip out from the top side and with the legs still intact, you could of used the chip as a sort pully on the legs to get them out.

Which ever method you use, it's a complete pain in the arse unless you have a soldering workstation that can heat all the legs at the same time. It took me quite a while to get the old chip off and even with a solder sucker and solder braid I ended up inching the old chip off by lifting it off a bit at a time on alternate ends.

It never occurred to me to snip the old chip off but there again I wanted the old chip intact just in case I needed to revert back to it.

I'm pretty near you but am busy this weekend so if you wanted them done then you'd have to leave the boxes with me and I'd try and get it done mid week.

I have seen two dead v2 boxes where owners have tried to upgrade to a v3 chip due to lifted pads. Its a pain in the arse of job and patience with the right tools is required.
The desoldering bit is a nightmare the fitting of the new chip and socket is not bad at all.

To be honest you'll only end up lifting the pads if you overdo the heat or push the chip back towards the board when the solder isn't flowing.

As I said in the guide it takes time and a lot of patience, even it looks like you've mopped up all the solder even the tiniest bit will be enough to keep that chip locked in place.

ahh the good ol days

without the proper tools i wouldnt attempt it

was my forty a while back

had eyesight then lol

I wouldn't attempt this unless you had a really decent soldering iron, or soldering workstation. I would cut the legs and then desolder each pin with a desolder pump. If you are slow, patient and careful it should go ok

I wouldn't attempt this unless you had a really decent soldering iron, or soldering workstation. I would cut the legs and then desolder each pin with a desolder pump. If you are slow, patient and careful it should go ok

I used a normal soldering iron and a gas powered soldering iron to upgrade my box.

Surely if you snip the legs you can

Flux, fresh solder and pull the legs out easily with tweezers/long nose pliers? No need for sucker.

Back