Any phone digital phone system installers or wiring engineers about?

shabbaranks

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

we've got a digital PBX here which is located within Cab A. We have a second cab - Cab B which is located in a different unit. Cab A and Cab B are linked together using 100 pair voice cable and are terminated either end at a voice patch panel.

Now the muppet (not me) who installed it didn't test the wiring and so only some of the links work. Im going to re-wire it but before I do I needed confirmation how many wires the digital phone systems require (as Im sure its different to standard phones which use 2) and also which points they require patching into - the voice panel looks like this

ThisOneNew.jpg

Any ideas? Thanks

Depends on the system M8 but usually 4-wire although I always used Cat-5 and adaptors/baluns as required. Mind, I'm no expert on this!

Love the consistent wiring colours in the pic though :silly:

older phone systems use 4 wires 2 pairs, new systems use 2 wires one pair, most wire off the blue's (pins 4,5) some use the oranges (1,2) and the odd system uses the greens (3,6)

post the system make and model

Yeah I think what happened was we asked for 25 pair (as we only needed no more than 25 extensions in the other unit) they bought the wrong wire and then just put it in regardless. When they were linking the 2 units they were trying to suggest we use fibre!! Ended up with half a dozen Ethernet cables which are more than adequate for the job.

The phone system is an Alcatel OmniPCX Office, cheers.

Back