any low profile dvb-c cards? alternatives and other noob questions

Midnight Tboy

Inactive User
Reaction score
Heya.

OK, so heres the quick story.

I've been given a new Dell GX760 small form factor ( Dell GX - 2nd from the right). The spec from memory is a core 2 duo (E6600?) 2.5ghz, 2gb ram, 150gb HDD.

I still prefer to use my main pc with its large space etc for regular use and dls etc, so thought I'll convert this to an HTPC to get rid of xbox1 with XBMC, and am expecting delivery of an ATI 4550 card with hdmi output tomorrow.

The main pain with this smaller case is it only has 1 pci-e slot and 1 pci slot tightly together and little room to swing a cat. They are also low profile half height slots.

I do have a dreambox 500c, but was hoping to maybe do away with that (ie relegated to the bedroom) and install a DVB-C card so I can make use of timeshifting and ability to play HD channels (presume VM still only give BBC HD like :))

I was looking at the technotrend 1501, but I cant seem to find any low profile dvb-c cards that would suit the job :( The pc doesnt have firewire socket on it either so the firewireDTV is out of the question (tho I could worst case I suppose buy a low profile firewire card)

Any of you guys know of any low profile cards about?

I was alternatively wondering if I could perhaps buy a new HTPC case later down the line. I believe the mobo is a microBTX board but not 100% sure so will have to try to find out where it says but have searched to no avail and cant see any identifiers on the board.

Lastly, I just want to check.........if I was to buy (if it had fit that is), the TT 1501 from hisat while it is cheap....would I be right in thinking that is the ONLY hardware I need? As I'm unsure as to if I need to buy programmable cards or whatever or can I do it all purely by software similar to the DB500c?

hope you guys can help,
cheers,

Heya.

OK, so heres the quick story.

I've been given a new Dell GX760 small form factor ( Dell GX - 2nd from the right). The spec from memory is a core 2 duo (E6600?) 2.5ghz, 2gb ram, 150gb HDD.

I still prefer to use my main pc with its large space etc for regular use and dls etc, so thought I'll convert this to an HTPC to get rid of xbox1 with XBMC, and am expecting delivery of an ATI 4550 card with hdmi output tomorrow.

The main pain with this smaller case is it only has 1 pci-e slot and 1 pci slot tightly together and little room to swing a cat. They are also low profile half height slots.

I do have a dreambox 500c, but was hoping to maybe do away with that (ie relegated to the bedroom) and install a DVB-C card so I can make use of timeshifting and ability to play HD channels (presume VM still only give BBC HD like :))

I was looking at the technotrend 1501, but I cant seem to find any low profile dvb-c cards that would suit the job :( The pc doesnt have firewire socket on it either so the firewireDTV is out of the question (tho I could worst case I suppose buy a low profile firewire card)

Any of you guys know of any low profile cards about?

I was alternatively wondering if I could perhaps buy a new HTPC case later down the line. I believe the mobo is a microBTX board but not 100% sure so will have to try to find out where it says but have searched to no avail and cant see any identifiers on the board.

Lastly, I just want to check.........if I was to buy (if it had fit that is), the TT 1501 from hisat while it is cheap....would I be right in thinking that is the ONLY hardware I need? As I'm unsure as to if I need to buy programmable cards or whatever or can I do it all purely by software similar to the DB500c?

hope you guys can help,
cheers,

LP cards are hard to find, what I do is use a drimal kit & make my own from the normal bracket, look for cards (PCB) that are no higher than 65mm.

DVB-T - Peak dual tuner, Wintv Novat-500 (Dual tuner) Dvico Dual digital 4 (dual tuner).

DVB-C - TerraTec Cinergy C PCI DVB-C HD

DVB-S2 - TerraTec Cinergy S2 PCI

Last edited:
aha that is a good idea to just cut it down to size. Seems a bit crazy mind as the market is certainly there for LP cards, especially if the PCB is within the size

By any chance have any of you tried this Terratec Cinergy C PCI HD as I hadnt heard of that card before? Costs twice as much as the C-1501 but if it does the job sizewise etc then worth it, especially as I was looking at btx cases but appears as far as I can gather that Dell use custom fittings so their boards dont fit in other cases....awkward barstewards.

Lastly can I ask.....to unscramble the VM pay channels, do I just need that single card and let software do the rest, or do I need to also buy the CI module? Sorry...just want to be sure as first time foraying into setting these up, and bit annoying the v limited case space

hi - again - just replied to your graphics card question.

I have the cinergy c. it works perfect with windows 7 - no driver needed - msupdate sorted it.
vplug needs instaliing before anything will tune tho. dvb viewer is highly recommended - 1st bit of software i have bought since MS-DOS 5 lol!

aha hi sparky and thanks...

re the graphics card thread...I decided not to go with the popcorn player and others as 2 main issues that peeved me with them, being lack of idx/sub support...and just that I'd rather piss about with more progs (another excuse to stay away from the gf) I opted in the end for an Asus 4550 gfx card for 35 quid which comes tomorrow. Was going to get a 4350 but the 4350 was passive cooling and 4550 was fan cooled which I thought may be better with it sitting so close to the HDD. Onboard was VGA only (no DVI - but it does have DisplayPort) and wanted to get a better pic as the pic on hdmi compared to when I used to run older xbox360 in VGA and much more vibrant. Reason I wanted the HDMI sending the audio out too was just ease of use for everyone too.....especially as I have recently (temporarily lol) got rid of my 5.1 setup

Back on topic....good to know it works well then :) I've been trying to hunt down places to buy the card. I can only see 2 places so far. The original website where its like over 100quid, but theres this site too at a fair bit cheaper Terratec Cinergy C PCI HD TV tuners 105549 AT 4AllClients.co.uk® Terratec Cinergy C PCI HD - but it appears from reading comments that they're a bit of a scam site keeping hold ofmoney for ages without delivering goods to make profit.

Dont suppose you know of anywhere else to get hold of one :)

And lol yeah I know what you mean...seems alien to buy programmes these days.....last I bought relatively recently was Extreme Movie Manager...but it gets some hammering so was worth it. I suspect these progs are worth it too (tho I will of course still look for a dodgy :))

Last edited:
Last edited:
I've just noticed this... Play.com (UK) : TerraTec Cinergy HTC USB XS HD Digital TV Reciever : Computing - Free Delivery

surely this can't actually produce dvb-c that it says it can going by the looks of it? Too good to be true?

update - going by its website TerraTec - Products - TV - Hybrid (Multi-Standard) - TerraTec Cinergy HTC USB XS HD it should do the job? anyone tried one? Must be a downside to it....especially if it also does dvb-t also?

can't see how you view all the cable channels without a common interface....

isn't that meant to be the point of the softcams etc though.....to replace the need for using a ci card and let the software do the work? As I never need a card in Dreamboxes and the likes and all work....could be wrong tho - often am :)

isn't that meant to be the point of the softcams etc though.....to replace the need for using a ci card and let the software do the work? As I never need a card in Dreamboxes and the likes and all work....could be wrong tho - often am :)

true, but vista or win 7 doesn't support softcam on its native mce but there is a choice of other apps that do....

thanks guys.

cheers for the ebay link too - odd though - can't seem to see results for it when I search within ebay - but the sellers site shows plenty for sale.

I'm running MediaPortal through WinXP at the moment and all good (just sorting out trying to get the iplayer plugin to work at the moment :)).

Going to look at buying one of these cards methinks and see if I can get my hands on a dremel or something to chop the top off the plate so it will fit in my low profile case :)

I don't suppose (unlikely) theres any internal pci cards alternatively that do both dvb-c and dvb-t (and that would be 65mm height to chop down to fit the case :)

Back