Any help and info please

IANB

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Im seriously thinking about getting a vu+duo (not clone) but need a few pointers before i sell up my se 800 to take the plunge any help gratefully recieved. A few questions.

1. Are they easy to get images for and tuts for flashing etc.
2. Do they support cccam just like the dreambox 800 se.
3. Do you edit cccam.config same way as dm800se via fxp or like.
4. Will the hdd from a sky hd box work in it
5. Is the set up of clines and flines as easy as dm800se.
6. Im assuming they work fine as servers am i correct?
I really like the 800se but i feel the need for the 2 tuners.

Thanks in anticipation for any replies :)

They are exactly the same software wise as your dreambox m8,so lines still go in the same places and work the same way,ftp still works the same way too,

There may be hardware differences though so I will let somebody who owns one fill you in on that aspect :)

As wiz said they are identical use the same programs files go in the exact same place everything really. I have a clone Duo but i also have an Ultimo as well as an 800se and TM500 never had an issue with any of them

I have a VU+DUO and I also have a couple of clone dm800. Everything is the same as the dm800 the only item I cannot comment on is if Sky hdd will work in the VU+DUO as I have never had a SKY box. I have got a hard drive from one of my desktops installed in my VU+DUOand it works fine.

@ ianb I am using a sky 500gb hdd in my vu+duo it works fine it takes for ever to get it out of a sky box mine is still in bits as there are so many screws to get out you even have to disconnect the lcd display and the remote sensor to get at the sky hdd and then there are the ears to disengage to seperate the top and bottom halves of the skybox it is not a 5min job

edogg

I have a VU+ Duo and have ViX image installed (others are available) but for me its the best box I have ever owned. Everything is really easy and simple. To flash an image simply download and copy to usb and plug it in the front. Power up and flash process begins.

Hard drives, pretty sure you can stick any 3.5" SATA drive in there and it will work 9 times out of 10. Clines etc can just be done over ftp same as other e2 boxes.

For me the overall build quality is better than most boxes out there so thats a big +1 too. If there was a VU+ with triple tuner maybe 2sat and one dvb-t dedicated for recording freeview channels I would buy it depending on price.

If there was a VU+ with triple tuner maybe 2sat and one dvb-t dedicated for recording freeview channels I would buy it depending on price.

Thats what the Ultimo does with swappable tuners. got mine setup with 3 DVB S-2 tuners for now but i also have a spate DVB-T/C combo tuner from mu Uno that i may put in there at a later date for testing.

Ok ive taken the plunge and ordered one up.
I have harvested a 350 gig WD sata drive from an old sly hd box (Took 5 mins lol)
One other question can i put Rats boquet updater in the plugins?
Oh and i read something about vix images if you dont flash the kernal first you brick the box whats that about?

Rats updater works fine.

Never bricked it by not updating kernel, but have left it unbootable a few times. But a simple re FLash has sorted it. Always a good idea to backup the image before flashing new images or updates

i'm also leaning towards ordering one of these myself this week.
IANB asked most of the questions i would have, only other question i have is regarding the webstreaming.
does it work better than the non-existent technomate advertised, or is it just easier getting a sling box?

If there was a VU+ with triple tuner maybe 2sat and one dvb-t dedicated for recording freeview channels I would buy it depending on price.

just like with the dreamboxes, you can plug in a usb DVB-T tuner, and have the extra freeview tuner in your receiver m8 ;) , you can even download the required drivers directly from the plugin download menu, restart the receiver, then in the 'About' screen, you have 3 tuners listed

you need to rescan, selecting the DVB-T tuner, and have it connected to a terrestrial aerial

and you then have your triple tuner PVR, for spending about a tenner on ebay, instead of over £500 on a new receiver to do what youre asking ;)

Ok ive taken the plunge and ordered one up.
Oh and i read something about vix images if you dont flash the kernal first you brick the box whats that about?

When there was a big change you had to flash a small image that lets you use larger images, you only have to do it once, 2second job :)

@digidude can you suggest a usb DVB-T tuner that I can look at and wont break the bank. Rather have my aerial connected to VU+ than my TV tuner as I never use it anyway. Ohh thinking about it then would Rats channel list still working with it? Guessing not?

Just a quick update
got my box and got it set up nicely
Put on rats updater and the Glass skin (cracking skin)
Cross epg
box is practicaly set up identical to the se clone i had :)
Also fitted a 350 gig hdd from an old sly hd box.
Also found dreamdriod ap for andriods works a treat on this as well.
So far i rate this box 10 out of 10 :)

Just a quick update
got my box and got it set up nicely
Put on rats updater and the Glass skin (cracking skin)
Cross epg
box is practicaly set up identical to the se clone i had :)
Also fitted a 350 gig hdd from an old sly hd box.
Also found dreamdriod ap for andriods works a treat on this as well.
So far i rate this box 10 out of 10 :)

But apart from the extra tuner is it really any better then the 800se?

Sent from my X10i using Tapatalk

But apart from the extra tuner is it really any better then the 800se?

Sent from my X10i using Tapatalk

Not really mate well i supose timeshift is a we bit easier set up but the way i have it set its practicaly identical to the se.

What image are you using? I am using ViX 2.3 and find it super stable and love the night skin. Everything just seems so simple especially timeshifting and recording.

Back