Any gardener types on...

fitzybhoy

Inactive User
Reaction score
I chopped down a tree in my garden about 3 years ago. I left the stump in the ground. Over the summer I noticed some fungus growing on it, now the fungus is growing on the grass and seems to be following the path of the roots. Is this normal when the roots are dying off?

I chopped down a tree in my garden about 3 years ago. I left the stump in the ground. Over the summer I noticed some fungus growing on it, now the fungus is growing on the grass and seems to be following the path of the roots. Is this normal when the roots are dying off?[/ fancy cutting a tree down the was just saying on the news we need to plant more trees no cut umm down i hope santa never seen you hahhhahahahahaahahahaahh

I chopped down a tree in my garden about 3 years ago. I left the stump in the ground. Over the summer I noticed some fungus growing on it, now the fungus is growing on the grass and seems to be following the path of the roots. Is this normal when the roots are dying off?[/ fancy cutting a tree down the was just saying on the news we need to plant more trees no cut umm down i hope santa never seen you hahhhahahahahaahahahaahh

you_fail.jpg

I chopped down a tree in my garden about 3 years ago. I left the stump in the ground. Over the summer I noticed some fungus growing on it, now the fungus is growing on the grass and seems to be following the path of the roots. Is this normal when the roots are dying off?

It is normal but the roots must be fairly shallow if the fungus is showing through the grass

:Cheers:

It is normal but the roots must be fairly shallow if the fungus is showing through the grass

:Cheers:

Thanks for the reply. Part of the reason for chopping the tree down is that some of the roots were showing through the grass and were coming close towards the house.

From what I can gather, the fungus are feeding off the nitrogen in the roots and helping to kill it off, although it will take years, is that right?

Think there was a thread about using tree stump killer try googling have read about encouraging rotting by putting feriliser on top of root and covering with plastic bag or somesuch

Back