Any Fishermen out there

Leeagt

Inactive User
Reaction score
I recently went fishing with a few mates for the first time and now i'm hooked (Pardon the Pun). We went trout fishing to a stocked lake but never managed to catch anything worth keeping. We are going back again at the start of June. Any tips for a new and very keen fisherman ?

I recently went fishing with a few mates for the first time and now i'm hooked (Pardon the Pun). We went trout fishing to a stocked lake but never managed to catch anything worth keeping. We are going back again at the start of June. Any tips for a new and very keen fisherman ?

Yes I am a keen angler myself. Mainly sea fishing, but I have been trout fishing. With fisheries like that, fish normally feed twice a day. Morning and night, you wont catch much in between.

Use some earth worms, or maggots, and ram them on the hook. More the better, lay out some bait to entice the fish in to feed. Be quiet, and dont spook them.

We used maggots last time but think I might try some worms for next time. When you say lay out some bait what do you mean by taht mate ?

We used maggots last time but think I might try some worms for next time.

Yeah, maggots are good, but have to be the right ones. Earth worms are an excellent source of bait too. But I would guess its the feeding times why you didnt catch.

Bait fishing is boring and for foofs
If it's stock then try fly fishing
I'm a beginner also but much better
Than bait fishing.

Bait fishing is boring and for foofs
If it's stock then try fly fishing
I'm a beginner also but much better
Than bait fishing.
tried fly fishing many years ago, waste of time and energy, they never go near the water!!!

Yeah, maggots are good, but have to be the right ones. Earth worms are an excellent source of bait too. But I would guess its the feeding times why you didnt catch.

we did catch a few. but they weren't the biggest so we put them back in

try fishing rivers instead of stocked lochs m8,

youll get a far better fight off a small wild brown trout than a large rainbow... , where u fishing?

went fishing once 1st cast caught a perch on a spinner. so decided to call it a day.

Rab P 1 Fish 0 result....
0021.gif

i would use maggots or small worms if bait fishing somewhere like that,

you get diffrent types of worms from baitshops, try and get bloodworms, they are smaller, wriggly and supposed to attract fish by their scent....

i take it you are ledgering, if so get some polystyrene balls and put them next to the hook, this makes the bait rise a bit off the bottom, so fish can spot it easier.....

use the lightest line and smallest hooks you can get away with.......

if you get bloodworms, put three on the hook,
feed the middle parts of the worms through the hooks and pull up the line.
once all three are on, pull them back down to cover the hook, but you don't want the hook end or barb inside a worm, if you see what i mean.....

if they allow spinning, you might want to give that a shot.....

use smallish heavy spinners, you need the weight to get good length from your cast if fishing from the bank......

Last edited:
lmao. Hes trout fishing mate. At a stocked lake. So bollies are no good afaik.

Its a Loch no a lake a lakes for poofs Lochs are for monsters like our Nessie

Fished Loch Earn a few times and the mighty maggot was as good as anything try moving your swimfeeder wae the maggots to diff parts of the line i used to fish 3 size 14/12 hooks spaced out about 6 inches from swimfeeder down to end of line.

Also try the swimfeeder at the end of the line and 3-4 hooks up from the swimfeeder.

Make a few casts up b4 u go fishing so u can improvise and change tactics coz :fishpair: are sneaky feckers :banana:

Of course if you are a purist and do fly fishing i never got a fish on a fly rod ever but i did catch some on the bubble n flea which i found like 2 much hard work.

Perfect setup dozen or more cans, 1 rod wae a swimfeeder attached hooked accordingly, plenty of recreational herbal spliffs and hope it does'nt piss down and feed the water a few times and do a perfect cast and lie back and enjoy the scenery and the goodies :banana::banana::banana:. Oh and always a good idea to get a wee bell for the end of the rod so u can hear the fish have taken, nothing better than a tinkle of the bell and thinking whats on the other end,of course thats if ye kin be bothered getting up from the slumber u should be in :proud:

PS St Fillans was always a good part of the Loch to fish but ultimately the boozers won and always seemed to end up wae a sore head and few fish but if you (unlike me) are serious about fishing St Fillans used to be a good place to :fishpair:

Last edited:
Back