any boxing fans on here?

yes one of worst fights i ever seen,i am glad i idnt stay up for it,

I wish I didnt stay up either, throughout this thread I maintained Calzaghe is a class boxer but not world class. Struggling against a Hopkins who is arguably past his best. It was a disastrous performance, my opinion of him remains the same although I am pleased he didnt lose he didnt really win in my eyes.

Harrisons a tool, no wonder they booed that fight. He had the cheek to walk off all cocky too.

The guy is a complete joke and if he's the better end of british heavyweights we have some serious problems. Boxers like him are exactly the reason the Heavyweight division is dying. He can join the list of disastrous heavyweights out there and that includes klitschko.

Harrisons a tool, no wonder they booed that fight. He had the cheek to walk off all cocky too.

I know - what bighead planet is Audley on!?

This was such a great chance for him to shine - getting undercard on the biggest fight of the year so far. He should have been thanking his lucky stars (and Frank Warren!).

I remember years ago sitting in Wembley watching him - the olympic gold medalist - scrape a points win against a tubby part-time bouncer and getting booed afterwards... and watching him at the weekend, he aint got no better, just older, and still deserves them boos!

Sadly yet again it looks like he's got himself a team of yes men... Everytime he went back to his corner, I wanted them to read the riot act (Enzo Calzaghe style) and tell him to "get the f-ck out there, batter this shitty journeyman and show that you've got some f-ckin class"... but no, they were telling him that he was doing ok throwing single punches!?

the funniest and most ridiculous moment in the calzaghe hopkins fight...

calzaghe hits bhop with a low punch,
bhop doubled over in pain,
calzaghe goes up behind him and starts pretending to bum him!

Did you see Sly Stallone in the crowd, he looked totally outraged - i thought he was going to walk out in disgust! hahaha - hilarious!

I wish I didnt stay up either, throughout this thread I maintained Calzaghe is a class boxer but not world class. Struggling against a Hopkins who is arguably past his best. It was a disastrous performance, my opinion of him remains the same although I am pleased he didnt lose he didnt really win in my eyes.
lol, so many BIG fights end up like this, Joe done what he had to do although hopkins constant gamesmanship got the better of him at one stage and he acted like a idiot.
Lets not forget that Joe stepped up a weight to fight hopkins, who is still considered top of his division. Not an easy think to do as Ricky Hatton found out.
how can you say not world class ?
To quote myself from an earlier thread

"Joe Calzaghe has never dodged a fighter, he has fought every decent fighter in his division, how can he do more than beat every decent fighter in his weight class ? he is undisputably the best super middleweight champion of the world and is the current WBO, WBC, WBA and Ring Magazine world super middleweight champion and the former IBF super middleweight world champion ( reliquishing the IBF belt due to technicalitys with the manfredo fight )

He is Rated the 5th best pound for pound boxer in the world by Ring magazine which is considered the "boxing bible" by most boxing experts and fans.

World class ? I think so !"

lol, so many BIG fights end up like this, Joe done what he had to do although hopkins constant gamesmanship got the better of him at one stage and he acted like a idiot.
Lets not forget that Joe stepped up a weight to fight hopkins, who is still considered top of his division. Not an easy think to do as Ricky Hatton found out.
how can you say not world class ?
To quote myself from an earlier thread

"Joe Calzaghe has never dodged a fighter, he has fought every decent fighter in his division, how can he do more than beat every decent fighter in his weight class ? he is undisputably the best super middleweight champion of the world and is the current WBO, WBC, WBA and Ring Magazine world super middleweight champion and the former IBF super middleweight world champion ( reliquishing the IBF belt due to technicalitys with the manfredo fight )

He is Rated the 5th best pound for pound boxer in the world by Ring magazine which is considered the "boxing bible" by most boxing experts and fans.

World class ? I think so !"

Top post mate. I agree whole heartedly, although I fear that a fight against Roy Jones Jr, would be a step too far, as I consider Jones Jr to be the best pound for pound fighter around. And I think Joe will struggle with both his speed and accuracy.

Originally Posted by theseeker
"Joe Calzaghe has never dodged a fighter"

Carl frochs manager still insists calzaghes team refuse to acknowledge any fax or challenge that they issue...froch went on local tv numerous times to confirm this...

Harrison's a total clown, his days are numbered. As for Calzaghe i thought he thought it would be a walk in the park. He didnt really trouble Hopkins and missed with a number punches. Had the decision gone the other way i wouldn't have been surprised.

...I consider Jones Jr to be the best pound for pound fighter around...

Yeah in his day RJJ was the best around but you still think so now?

On current form you think he's better than the younger crop of top boys like Mayweather, Guzman or Cotto??

Just coz he done Trinidad a couple of months ago, I dont think we're about to see a revival of RJJ back at his very best again.

Although even after I say all that - he's such a class act that even a half-decent RJJ is still worth watching and could give Calzaghe some problems.

ps: @ Imran & Tonks - lads i finally watched Cotto vs Gomez... oh my god - i must have been on the crackpipe thinking Gomez might have a chance against him - Cotto punished that boy something terrible!

Last edited:
ps: @ Imran & Tonks - lads i finally watched Cotto vs Gomez... oh my god - i must have been on the crackpipe thinking Gomez might have a chance against him - Cotto punished that boy something terrible!

and that wasnt cotto in full gear, cotto v mayweather has got to happen sometime, that would be some fight

and that wasnt cotto in full gear, cotto v mayweather has got to happen sometime, that would be some fight

would be a a great fight, why not make it a double bill with a matchup between marquez and pacquiao on the card too :)

Oh man - stop it u lot - can u imagine how goddamn good Cotta vs Mayweather would be???

Unbeaten vs Unbeaten... Puerto Rico vs USA... Offense vs Defence... shit, i'm hyped about it already and it ain't even happening! lol

Slight subject change... I just noticed that golden boy De La Hoya has dusted off his gloves and is having a fight in a few days time?! Haven't seen who he's fighting but I'm guessing it will be an easy one to warm up for Mayweather Part 2?

the funniest and most ridiculous moment in the calzaghe hopkins fight...

calzaghe hits bhop with a low punch,
bhop doubled over in pain,
calzaghe goes up behind him and starts pretending to bum him!

Did you see Sly Stallone in the crowd, he looked totally outraged - i thought he was going to walk out in disgust! hahaha - hilarious!

To be honest,its the 1st time Ive seen Joe do something like that,yes he often showboats but I think he was frustrated with Hopkins constant fouling and Cortez not warning him.
when it comes to hometown bias Cortez is the worst referee and he showed no intention of reprimanding Hopkins for his constant blatant cheating.
I also thought Hopkins was a right cock in his post fight press conference,Calzaghe, on the other hand showd class by staying cool.

http://www.15rounds.com/vplayer/hopcalpostpresser041908.wmv

Yeah in his day RJJ was the best around but you still think so now?

On current form you think he's better than the younger crop of top boys like Mayweather, Guzman or Cotto??

Just coz he done Trinidad a couple of months ago, I dont think we're about to see a revival of RJJ back at his very best again.

Although even after I say all that - he's such a class act that even a half-decent RJJ is still worth watching and could give Calzaghe some problems.

lol, glad you finally got to see it mate. Cotto looked amazing and seemed to back off after he saw Gomez was well just getting plain assaulted, shows he has class and he knew he had already made his statement.

Dont even get me started on Cotto vs Mayweather, I don't even want to think about it incase it never happens.

However, a fight that should happen is Cotto vs Margarito. If you saw Margarito and know his reputation for never being knocked out then you would know this would be a mouthwatering clash and could finally see boxing where it belongs.

Back