Any Audi engineers. Question re turbo please

ms2005

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi

I've just got back from the Audi garage. They had my A3 07 plate 2.0 TDi about 6 weeks ago. Said the turbo was leaking oil and I needed to buy a new one. Total cost £1,495. I said yikes, add that to the brakes I was changing and we're at 50% of the value of the car in repairs

Asked what symptoms i would get from a failing turbo. They said none whatsoever, no noticeable oil leakage, no lag, no smoke on turnover or during driving but one day, maybe tomrorrow maybe in a year it WILL go and take the engine with it

OK. Naturally I get a second opinion from a Subaru main dealer who is a family mechanic and served us well for many years. They say absolutely nothing wrong with the turbo whatsoever. All French cars have a little leak from the turbo, nothing to worry about.

Go back to Audi who show me the oil leak. Not a massive amount but enough to think I would nitcr it and have to top up (which I havent). Audi still maintain I'm stupid not to set it.

Who is right? Will the turbo explode and take the engine with it? They're basically saying that if the high pressure causes the pipe to sheer off from the turbo one day I'm in trouble and the only fix is a whole new turbo?

Very confused. If it helps, I dont know the part name but they were talking about a small hole where the turbo pipe enters the turbo. From under the car it was directly up, no need to remove cover. Could it be a small problem? Do I need t worry until oil is all over the floor/turbo lag/ black smoke appears?

I accept, there is oil but what problem it presents I am dubious about.

If any Audi engineers can assist I would be grateful or in fact any mechanic who knows what I am talking about?

Thanks in advance

There at it.

A failing turbo will genearly make a load of noise/Oil from a turbo will be burned by the car causing blue smoke. If you have none of this then its not the turbo.

However if you are getting a load of blue smoke then there is a possability the turbo can break causing the car to overrev burning oil/bits of turbo going though the engine. Its unlikey though,

Sounds to be that one of the pipes is leaking more than anything else.

Last edited:
l get lots of audi's in m8 for service or repairs and 90% of the pd engines have oil around the turbo pipes .. if they just have a mist of oil around them l dont even tell the customers now , if there leaking onto the floor then thats different .. u have a problem that needs sorting ,, turbo oil feed pipes are a common place to leak oil from m8 , and there right next to the turbo and hard to see , get it to another garage ,, like a small garage where u can talk to the mechanic not some pratt on the desk

As Above. If your in the glasgow/EK area i can recommend a good garage. Also should say if its not using any oil i wouldnt be worring about it!

Noticed your doing your brakes from Audi dealership as well, they charge silly money on aprts and labour rates. Just buy the parts yourself from Euro car parts or GSF or similar and get a local garage to fit them, Euros usually have 20 - 30% off parts promotional codes pretty often. Theres currently 25% of brakes going on I think. Combined with lower local garage labour rates theyll be a big saving.

i do IT install work (servers) for VAG in uk and and the price of the car has an inverse effect generally on how the people are

skoda folk are very friendly always offer drink and are appreciative of the work i have done for them

seat again friendly offer drink and let me get on with what i need to do

VW a bit sniffy and would prefer i go into garage around the back

Audi look at you like you a piece of sh*t on the bottom of their shoe and cant wait to get rid.......

what dealership can nowerdays afford to have a bloke whose sole role is to direct people to Sales, Service etc i thought as i waited for my contact to come and collect me they don't need this guy, people can read a sign...

sorry MS2005 dont want to pinch you post with a rant but how they pay that guys salary (cos he wont have a wage) will be to fleece folk who come through the door.

do as the others have posted go to an independent garage and get a second opinion you don't need to go to audi dealer as car is well out of warranty.

l get lots of audi's in m8 for service or repairs and 90% of the pd engines have oil around the turbo pipes .. if they just have a mist of oil around them l dont even tell the customers now , if there leaking onto the floor then thats different .. u have a problem that needs sorting ,, turbo oil feed pipes are a common place to leak oil from m8 , and there right next to the turbo and hard to see , get it to another garage ,, like a small garage where u can talk to the mechanic not some pratt on the desk
take it to smirnoffs garage ,sounds like a genuine guy,no bull,customer happy and will allways go back

i do IT install work (servers) for VAG in uk and and the price of the car has an inverse effect generally on how the people are

skoda folk are very friendly always offer drink and are appreciative of the work i have done for them

seat again friendly offer drink and let me get on with what i need to do

VW a bit sniffy and would prefer i go into garage around the back

Audi look at you like you a piece of sh*t on the bottom of their shoe and cant wait to get rid.......

what dealership can nowerdays afford to have a bloke whose sole role is to direct people to Sales, Service etc i thought as i waited for my contact to come and collect me they don't need this guy, people can read a sign...

sorry MS2005 dont want to pinch you post with a rant but how they pay that guys salary (cos he wont have a wage) will be to fleece folk who come through the door.

do as the others have posted go to an independent garage and get a second opinion you don't need to go to audi dealer as car is well out of warranty.

and offer hatab a few drinks as he is partial to a couple ;)

Back