Another Glorious Failure.

RAB - P

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Djok rocks Jock

Novak Djokovic outplayed Andy Murray to win the Australian Open for the second time and end the Briton's hopes of a first Grand Slam title.

The 23-year-old Serbian won 6-4 6-2 6-3 in a stiflingly hot Melbourne to regain the title he first won in 2008 and condemn Murray to a third defeat in Grand Slam finals.

Murray had been hoping to become the first British man to claim a major title since Fred Perry won the US Open in 1936, and Scotland's first ever Grand Slam singles champion, but he was overpowered by the world number three.

Djokovic went into Sunday's final a slight favourite having beaten reigning champion Roger Federer in straight sets in the semi-finals, and with the confidence of having won the Australian title in 2008.

Murray, seeded fifth, has always claimed not to be affected by his nation's clamour for a Grand Slam champion, but his own desire to land a major title after twice losing in finals brings enough pressure and he made a nervous start.

Djokovic hammered some heavy forehands in the Briton's opening service game and earned a break point, but a loose error let Murray off the hook and the Scot edged through a tense 15-minute game.

Murray then immediately had a half-chance of his own on the Djokovic serve, only to miss a smash at 15-30, but the rhythm was set and both men knew they were in for a battle.

The decisive moment came with Murray serving to stay in the set at 4-5, 15-30 down and a gripping 38-stroke rally which the Briton looked like winning on several occasions, only for Djokovic's amazing powers of recovery to eventually force the error.

A forehand error from Murray then gave up the first set after a gruelling 59 minutes and the more assertive style of Djokovic was holding sway, a beautiful lob helping him to a love service game at the start of the second set.

With Murray making fewer than 50% of first serves, Djokovic was able to draw his man into lengthy rallies and dominate with his greater power and incredible movement.

The second break point of the match was seen off by Murray with an ace but when he went for a drop shot on the third moments later, Djokovic was onto it in a flash to sweep away a backhand winner.

As well as Djokovic was playing, it was Murray who was the major contributor to his falling a double-break down in game four as he netted a volley and then pushed a forehand long.

The Scot, who had been close to a two-set deficit in his semi-final against David Ferrer, avoided the dreaded bagel by seeing off a set point at 5-0 down before finally breaking the Djokovic serve to love as he began to go for his shots with the set seemingly gone.

But any hope that he would take some of that momentum into the third set disappeared as the relentless Djokovic broke the Murray serve for the third time to close out the set.

Murray, who had now lost all eight sets he had played in Grand Slam finals, was facing the monumental task of taking the irrepressible Djokovic to five, but he took a first step on that journey by firing a forehand winner to break at the start of the third.

It did not signal a significant shift in fortunes, though, as within minutes he was shouting angrily towards his mother Judy and team of coaches in his player's box after a desperately poor smash handed the advantage straight back.

Djokovic was closing in now and heaped the pressure on at 2-1, refusing to give up the game after Murray valiantly saved six break points and seizing the seemingly vital break with a magnificent backhand down the line past the helpless Briton.

The route to the finish line was not to be straightforward, with the apparently hopeless situation appearing to relax Murray as it had in the second set, and he fought his way back to level, saving more break points on his way to 3-3.

Djokovic was not to be denied though and bludgeoned his way to a 17th break point of the day at 4-3 with some more fearsome forehands, and Murray duly netted under the pressure to leave the Serbian serving for the title.

There was to be no late reprieve for the Briton as Djokovic came through an understandably edgy final game to secure his second Grand Slam title, and leave Murray still waiting for a first.

same thing every time he gets to the finals and then he cant stand the pressure and goes to bits, shame really he's not a bad player.

Murray never turned up today. Jocovik was on top form but i reckon he could have dropped a gear or two and still beat Andy today :(

Very disappointing, wanted him to go all the way.
I reckon he is just unlucky that he is in an era of tennis which includes the likes of federer, nadal, djokovic and the likes. Dont think theres ever been so many players of that class at one time in their prime.

Very disappointing, wanted him to go all the way.
I reckon he is just unlucky that he is in an era of tennis which includes the likes of federer, nadal, djokovic and the likes. Dont think theres ever been so many players of that class at one time in their prime.

He didnt turn up today m8 thats the sad part. He seems to freeze at the big occaision. His service game was a shambles today.

Oh Dear .......

I just don't think he's got the right muscular frame and power to win. He's very boyish in stature.

murray is lacking that va va voom, bit of personality and charisma that would take him along side the current greats, nadal & federer... he needs to have that little bit of cockiness/confidence/arrogance that would take him to the next level... at the moment he is interesting as a fish! he is no doubt a very good player but he isnt great/world class... maybe he's lacking a bit of belief or maybe its the pressure of a big game situation which he cant handle at the moment i dunnnooo.... reminds me a bit of henman in that sense whereby the pressure and expectation was just too much for him...

Alright. We have this this argument everytime he drops out, let's not bother doing it again :)

its a shame because Andy has the talent and i had him down to win , he just seems to blow it on the big occassions

i was only asking a question to the post you left who is arguing or who is trying to start pish

I left a comment about Andy Murray's sporting prowess in the tennis game, a suggestion to why he can't or hasn't yet broken through to the top, top level, not a 'pissh' starting molotov. It's probably one of the more constructive comments in the thread.

I'm one of Murray's biggest fans & I was bitterly disappointed this morning 'cos he seemed to go out without a fight. Now I've had time to think about it, Djokovik looked pretty unplayable at times today & Murray should be saying I did well to get to the final, hopefully it spurs him on to a few more finals & hopefully a win in a Grand Slam. Federer & Nadal seem to be on the wane to me (they can't play at their peak forever & Nadal seems to be picking up injuries) & Murray should still be improving. Get McEnroe as an occasional coach for that extra 'oomph' & inspiration.
C'Mon Andy, chin up, bloody well done for getting to the final.
HH.

Andy has got to be more agressive if he wants to win a major.
Nadal, Djokovik and Fed are attacking players and when it comes to the majors its allways an attacking player who wins them.
He has a great game though and if he can get to a major without one of those 3 in it then he stands a chance.
It's time to be a bit more daring i think

I left a comment about Andy Murray's sporting prowess in the tennis game, a suggestion to why he can't or hasn't yet broken through to the top, top level, not a 'pissh' starting molotov. It's probably one of the more constructive comments in the thread.

no mate your comment was!! made my day that lol !!! so your comment was nothing to do with

!! a suggestion to why he can't or hasn't yet broken through to the top, top level !!,,, it was totally biased nothing else but you didn't get the support from other members or arguments you tried to cause between people so it looks like your the clown tonight

C'mon guys be nice lol.
To get to the final of a major sporting event is a great achievement for anyone

Back