Alternatives to Virgin.

regentroad5

New Member ++
Reaction score
I live in an Anchor sheltered housing property. In the last year high-speed fibre optic cabling has been installed in the property where I reside, via Openreach.
I currently have a contract with Virgin Media which expires soon, and, as is always the case, I'll probably need to indulge in a game of brinksmanship soon in order to extract the best deal from them.
However, it's always good to have a backup plan. When I type in my postcode in the Openreach website I'm given a multitude of options......
Ultrafast Full Fibre broadband service providers
Also my postcode check also tells me that the following speeds are available at my property, (1) Ultrafast full fibre broadband, up to 1800 Mbps download speed, and (2) Standard broadband, up to 24 Mbps download speed.
Some are very familiar, like Plusnet, EE, etc. However, the majority are internet providers I'm not remotely familiar with.
I wonder if members can offer any recommendations?
Thank you.

There are a lot of new providers supplying Full fibre its hard to say at this early stage which are going to be good.

Im my area one such unknown is Youfibre 900 up and down for £25 a month im still in contract myself with Virgin but will switch as my neighbours seem to like the youfibre service.

These new provider also seem to be area specific so Youfibre as the example may not be available in your area.

I keep toying with the idea of ditching virgin but can't find alternative box for recording stuff which is as good as v6

I keep toying with the idea of ditching virgin but can't find alternative box for recording stuff which is as good as v6
If it’s just for Freeview I use BT YouView Humax DTR-T2100 box. I have used them for years.
There is a newer model but I have not bought one of them.

Many thanks for the comments and suggestions.
Avid, I entered my postcode in the CityFibre website, but, unfortunately, it appears they have no plans available in my area at the moment.
In truth, I'm loathe to leave Virgin because I've been with them for ever and do find their internet and the V6 box I have excellent.
Which reminds me - a few weeks ago I received an email from Virgin offering a new deal. This involved changing my V6 box for a "Virgin TV 360"
I queried this on the Virgin members forum, and was told that if I'd accepted the deal all my recorded content would have been wiped and any future usage and recordings would have to be done via a voice control remote. Other points too, but those are the main ones.
I'll be making sure that if I do remain with Virgin, any deal will have to ensure I keep my V6 box.
One of the posters on the Virgin forum gave this advice, "Don't do it. 360 is absolutely awful!"
Virgin members on here may be interested in these two numbers which I've come across and appear to relate to Virgin Outbound Retentions, 02037 436947 and 02037 436951. I haven't used these numbers yet but may well do so, depending on how well communications go with Virgin when negotiating a new contract.

Many thanks for the comments and suggestions.
Avid, I entered my postcode in the CityFibre website, but, unfortunately, it appears they have no plans available in my area at the moment.
In truth, I'm loathe to leave Virgin because I've been with them for ever and do find their internet and the V6 box I have excellent.
Which reminds me - a few weeks ago I received an email from Virgin offering a new deal. This involved changing my V6 box for a "Virgin TV 360"
I queried this on the Virgin members forum, and was told that if I'd accepted the deal all my recorded content would have been wiped and any future usage and recordings would have to be done via a voice control remote. Other points too, but those are the main ones.
I'll be making sure that if I do remain with Virgin, any deal will have to ensure I keep my V6 box.
One of the posters on the Virgin forum gave this advice, "Don't do it. 360 is absolutely awful!"
Virgin members on here may be interested in these two numbers which I've come across and appear to relate to Virgin Outbound Retentions, 02037 436947 and 02037 436951. I haven't used these numbers yet but may well do so, depending on how well communications go with Virgin when negotiating a new contract.
Most people find they get the best deals from Virgin is when they give their 30 day notice to cancel and wait for a call back from the retention team.

There will be something in your area. You will have to keep looking, or nag retentions.

Back