Alex Salmond Quits After Scotland Votes No

roachieuk

Elite Member
Reaction score
Alex Salmond is stepping down as Scotland's First Minister and SNP leader after his country voted against independence.

Fifty-five percent chose to stay part of the UK while 45% were in favour of going it alone.

Mr Salmond announced his resignation as David Cameron promised new powers for Scotland.

He said now was the "opportunity to hold Westminster's feet to the fire".

The first minister said he had spoken to the Prime Minister who had "reiterated his intention to proceed as he outlined".

"But he would not commit to a second reading vote by 27 March of a new Scotland bill."

He said it was the "privilege of my life to serve as first minister".

He added: "We lost the referendum vote but Scotland can still carry the political initiative.

"Scotland can still emerge as the real winner. My time is nearly over."

Mr Salmond said: "There are 1.6 million people who made a choice for independence.

"I think the 1.6 million people will speak and speak loud if there is a retreat from those commitments."

Alex Salmond Quits After Scotland Votes No

Don't think he could do anything else

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

Salmond is a wet fish :)

Whatever you think of Salmond, and I found him an odious little gnome, you can't take away the fact he spurred Scottish voters to 'go for it'.

Anyone who suggests he and the 'Yes' campaigners got trounced could not be more wrong. That level of support for independence surely can't be ignored?

Hopefully, this result will lead to Westminster realising that London does NOT occupy the thoughts of the majority of the UK.

Some 'devomax' throughout the entire UK wouldn't go amiss and electoral turnout might increase significantly if voters felt they could actually make a difference.

Whatever you think of Salmond, and I found him an odious little gnome, you can't take away the fact he spurred Scottish voters to 'go for it'.

Anyone who suggests he and the 'Yes' campaigners got trounced could not be more wrong. That level of support for independence surely can't be ignored?

Hopefully, this result will lead to Westminster realising that London does NOT occupy the thoughts of the majority of the UK.

Some 'devomax' throughout the entire UK wouldn't go amiss and electoral turnout might increase significantly if voters felt they could actually make a difference.

good post.. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

You must an undercover Kilty ya fecker :)

In all honesty I don't think Salmond face should quit, he obviously hit some right chords, he should dust down and go again ! .... next time we might just get shot of the feckers lmao :)

Back