air con

wilson1980

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
does air con increase your fuel economy..always wondered this and if so ill be switchin mines off like.

does air con increase your fuel economy..always wondered this and if so ill be switchin mines off like.
no it decreases ur mileage
meaning if u leave it off u get more mph

I beleive it reduces your MPG as the A/C uses a compressor whilst switched on which obviously puts more demand on the engine.

its uses very little you would not really see the change i drove to london with mine on still got a good 55mpg with aircon on on the way home had it off got around 56mpg so really id not worry about the cost for what its going to cost id not bother aircon systems should be used mine is on runing hot and cold all year round if you dont use the aircon system the seal on the compresser front drive turns hard and will end up leaking gas then it will start needing gassing every year pain and that will cost you money

I totally agree i was told by AC tech to leave it on all the time for exactly that reason.
Mind you i got company fuel card so i dont care how much fuel it uses :)

Anything that puts an extra load on the engine increases fuel consumption. You don't need the ac on all the time run it for a couple of mins while your defrosting the car then turn off. The gas carries the lubricating oil around the system and keeps all the seals from drying out and shrinking or hardening. As said not using it at all can cost more in the long run.

thebigman

cheers for that guys..ill not keep it on as much. ive started pressin the button to switch it across from ac to econ which i think is just the same in cars that dont have air con.my car i was gettin 21mpg when i first got it and when i replaced the exhaust with a stainless steel sports one from cat back it went up to 26mpg so hopefully go up couple more and ill be happy lol

it uses approx 10 % more fuel.
Opening windows in summer also uses approx 10% fuel.

its uses very little you would not really see the change i drove to london with mine on still got a good 55mpg with aircon on on the way home had it off got around 56mpg so really id not worry about the cost for what its going to cost id not bother aircon systems should be used mine is on runing hot and cold all year round if you dont use the aircon system the seal on the compresser front drive turns hard and will end up leaking gas then it will start needing gassing every year pain and that will cost you money

depands on the motor.. I get about 20 mpg, With the Air con its 12/15 mpg... lol

It decreases the MPG in smaller cars that dont have the power to cope with the extra load.

In cars with a bigger engine it doesnt make a vast difference.

Last year we did 3500 miles travelling round france in my Jag 3.0 S-type which was doing 26mpg with or without the AC turned on, running on LPG (so cost wise it's the equivalent of doing 52mpg).

My car turns it on by default when I start the car, but there is a difference between straight Air Con and climate control.

Last edited:
Back