Age test & Childhood Memories

stihl260

DW Top Poster +
Reaction score
My grandson asked me the other day, 'What was your favourite 'take-away' when you were growing up?
''We didn't have any take-aways when I was growing up,' I told him. 'There wasn't any.'
'Come on, grandad. Where did you eat then?'
'It was a place called 'home,'' I explained!
'Mum cooked every day and when Dad got home from work, we sat down together at the dining room table, and if I didn't like what she put on my plate, I was allowed to sit there until I did like it.'
By this time, the lad was laughing so hard I was afraid he was going to suffer serious internal damage, so I didn't tell him the part about how I had to have permission to leave the table.

Then I told him;

When I was a boy, my parents NEVER owned their own house, wore jeans, flew in an aeroplane, travelled out of the country or had a credit card.

My parents never drove me to school. I had a bicycle that weighed probably 4 stone, and only had one gear, (slow).

We didn't have a television in our house until I was 7.
It was, of course, black and white, and the station went off the air at 10 pm, after playing the national anthem and epilogue; it came back on the air at about 4.30 p.m. the next day, with children's programmes. (Andy Pandy or Muffin the Mule)..(both sound rude nowdays!)

We never had a telephone until the 1970's. The phone was on a party line. Before you could dial, you had to listen and make sure some people you didn't know weren't already using the line.

Pizzas were not delivered to our house... But milk/bread/parrafin/coal/and newspapers were.

All newspapers were delivered by boys, and all boys delivered newspapers. My brother delivered a newspaper seven days a week. He had to get up at 6 a.m. every morning.

Film stars kissed with their mouths shut. At least, they did in the films. There were no movie ratings because all movies were responsibly produced for everyone to enjoy viewing, without profanity or violence or almost anything offensive.

If you grew up in a generation before there was fast food, you may want to share some of these memories with your children or grand children. Just don't blame me if they bust a gut laughing.
Growing up isn't what it used to be, is it?

How many do you remember?

Headlight dip-switches on the floor of the car.
Ignition switches on the dashboard.
Trouser leg clips for bicycles without chain guards.
Soldering irons you heated on a gas burner.
Your dad using a starting-handle outside, to start the car .

Count all the ones that you remember, not the ones you were told about.
Ratings at the bottom.

1. Sweet cigarettes.
2. Transport cafes with Rock-ola juke boxes, and ex-juke box records for 2/6d with the centres pushed out.
3. Home milk delivery in glass bottles. 6d milk machines that sold 'Micky' chocolate milk drink.
4. Red Telephone boxes that took 4 old pennies.
5. Pathe Newsreels before the film.
6. TV test patterns that came on at night after the last show and were there until TV shows started again in the morning. (There were only 2 channels).
7. Your mum washing your hair with 'Tide' soap powder.
8. 78 rpm records.
9. Spangles and Sherbert Dip.
10. 'Zip' firelighters.
11. Spud Guns
12. Radio Luxembourg.
13. Having a Pantry, but no 'fridge.
14. Hoover-matic Twin-tub washing machine.

If you remembered 0-3 = You are still young
If you remembered 3-6 = You are getting older
If you remembered 7-10 = Don't tell your age
If you remembered 11-14 = You're positively ancient!

Thats me fooked so lol

Great post m8 :Clap:

Well like you imust be old I remember all 14 the good old days hey never be the same again.
The number of people these days that don't remember the rag and bone man who gave you a balloon, a donkey stone ( used to clean to front step and make it look nice ) or a dolly blue bag ( to whiten your net curtains, no blinds in them days ), then there was the tar bubbles in the street used to stick lollipop sticks in a cross to make a boomerang. Bottles with a penny back on the empty
Those were the good old days, houses and cars left unlocked and still there in the morning, police who clipped you round the ear for doing wrong then taking you home telling your dad and he gave you another one.

Anyone think of anymore good old day facts??

Well like you imust be old I remember all 14 the good old days hey never be the same again.
The number of people these days that don't remember the rag and bone man who gave you a balloon, a donkey stone ( used to clean to front step and make it look nice ) or a dolly blue bag ( to whiten your net curtains, no blinds in them days ), then there was the tar bubbles in the street used to stick lollipop sticks in a cross to make a boomerang. Bottles with a penny back on the empty
Those were the good old days, houses and cars left unlocked and still there in the morning, police who clipped you round the ear for doing wrong then taking you home telling your dad and he gave you another one.

Yes at school the only computer was about the size of a small fridge
In maths you used a slide rule to do calculations or log tables for complex calculations.

As a kid I remember collecting Glass pop bottles that had a 10p return on them.

The days when at Primary school we had free milk everyday!

Driving a MK1 Ford Fiesta, that to squirt the windscreen you pushed a footpump in the floor!

My Dad driving a Morris Minor with A split winscreen and Indicator arms that came out the side of the Car.

Milk delivered by horse and cart in London! The Beatles playing at the Finsbury Park Rainbow. All the men taking the kids for a walk in the park on Sunday while the women cooked Sunday lunch. Saturday morning pictures and the ABC minors! Old Mother Reilly. Bomb sites in London. Housewives polishing the front step and red polishing it, also polishing the copper drainpipe with Brasso (i actually have that on 8mm film). Putting tea leaves on the carpet before you swept it. Being 5 years old and travelling on the petrol tank of my dads BSA on the way to Southend without a helmet (or a care in the world).

what about making a go-kart from an old pram, they were the days lol

I got the attached as an email it brings back a few memories.

View attachment 51666

View attachment 51666

We used to call them a Guider or a Boggi big wheels on the back smaller on the front your shoes as the break shoes as the wheels wore the sole off your shoe trying to stop it

And that link what a great memory.

Cheers m8

View attachment 51666

Imagine finding a dumped pram, it was Christmas come early.

We used to walk the streets looking for rubbish in peoples front gardens that we could use on our cart (which was a death trap by today's standards)

Playing games in the street I.E of ground tick. man hunt. hide and seek british bull dog . kick the can ..playing out till the street lights come on . going the park in the summer hols with a bottle o water and butties with ya mates and not worrying about bad ppl oh them were the days....

buyin 3p of corn between us to take in the "pictures" on Sat matinees to fire at the old man (usher?) with our peashooters. Zorro was always on or the three stooges, boy am I old

Professional footballers travelled to the match on the bus with the fans. People understood the offside rule.
Nobody new the name of the referee.
Fans wore home made scarfs and pom pom hats, and had a wooden rattle.
Goalkeepers wore roll neck jumpers.
The balls had a lace and if you headed it, it bloody wrecked you.
All matches kicked off at 3pm on Saturday, and all the results were in by 4.40pm.

You played footie on red ash pitches - no one went for a slide tackle. :)

Buying sweets per quarter (not 100g) and buying half penny chews and sweets.
Taking your 20p pocket money down to the local sweet shop and coming back with a bag full of sweets! lol

Back