Advice on these tv's please

I do prefer a plasma but the tosh looks better in that its 1080p (true hd), better contrast and cheaper. LCD's have improved big time since they first came out. I would personally go into store and look at both of the latter two, and depending on what pic I like, I would go for that.

I do prefer a plasma but the tosh looks better in that its 1080p (true hd), better contrast and cheaper. LCD's have improved big time since they first came out. I would personally go into store and look at both of the latter two, and depending on what pic I like, I would go for that.

but isnt it hard to tell by shop displays due to feed/lighting etc?

Id pick the 40" Sammy LCD.

Plasmas suffer from screen burn more than LCD and less contrast.

the samsung lcd for me to. i have the red series sa,sung and it is fantastic.

go for it

but isnt it hard to tell by shop displays due to feed/lighting etc?

I guess so. Not sure if you can ask them to show different shows (i.e. from movies to sports) to check. Ive always seen them as good, though I do look from the side as well.

I hear Samsung screens are good but Ive never actually compared them with anything.

My tele is a technosonic (ex thompson) from woolies, got few years back. its proved to be a top tele. Only 32" lcd, small by today's standards but since I got a small lounge, it doesnt make sense to have a large tele. Oh by the way, it looks good from the side also :)

If it were my money I'd go for Panasonic TH-42PX80 £599 in store. I just checked and it's not on their website but I was out today and saw plenty of them around.

Try not to buy a LCD if possible mate, especially if you intend to do any type of gaming, I don't rate their performance personally and neither do people who have seen both side by side. Videophiles cringe at the thought..

Plasma is so much better and ignore all that screen burn lark, maybe if you bought a plasma 10 years ago you'd need to be careful but these day's you very rarely EVER get screenburn. Most plasma's have pixel shift technology which stops screenburn. I'm about as lazy as you can get in looking after my things and I have never has screen burn even after falling asleep with BBC News running all night.

Hawkish sells TV's for a living and see's many more TV's than we could dream of, drop him a PM and get his opinion if he doesn't catch this thread.

If you are going to get a demo make sure it is not in Currys etc as the TV's are very poorly set up. If there is a Sevenoaks nearby pop in and you'll see where I am coming from, the 42PX80 offers stunning performance that the other TV's in your list cannot touch.

Oh and try and ignore all that 1080p crap that the fanboys try and sell you, there is much more to life than counting pixels.

If it were my money I'd go for Panasonic TH-42PX80 £599 in store. I just checked and it's not on their website but I was out today and saw plenty of them around.

Try not to buy a LCD if possible mate, especially if you intend to do any type of gaming, I don't rate their performance personally and neither do people who have seen both side by side. Videophiles cringe at the thought..

Plasma is so much better and ignore all that screen burn lark, maybe if you bought a plasma 10 years ago you'd need to be careful but these day's you very rarely EVER get screenburn. Most plasma's have pixel shift technology which stops screenburn. I'm about as lazy as you can get in looking after my things and I have never has screen burn even after falling asleep with BBC News running all night.

Hawkish sells TV's for a living and see's many more TV's than we could dream of, drop him a PM and get his opinion if he doesn't catch this thread.

If you are going to get a demo make sure it is not in Currys etc as the TV's are very poorly set up. If there is a Sevenoaks nearby pop in and you'll see where I am coming from, the 42PX80 offers stunning performance that the other TV's in your list cannot touch.

Oh and try and ignore all that 1080p crap that the fanboys try and sell you, there is much more to life than counting pixels.

Munkey if they have got that tv i will defo defo pick it up thanks for that buddy. But i can only use my vouchers in currys/pc world or dixons.

No one else got any views?

A thread like this used to get loads of replys i guess we have lost all our tv buffs?

Dazmiester, shaun 127..

my thoughts are on the same line as Munkey, dont go for LCD if you can. Plasma's dont really suffer from screen burn as people would have you believe you may get a little image retention but that should be gone in an hour or so. In saying that though it is recommended you need to bed the TV in (200hrs), ie reduce the contrast/brightness around halfway before having lengthy sessions on the console.

Also from lab tests LCD's have problems resolving full resolution movement, the only exception is the new sony LCDs. They also dont have a wider viewing angle like plasma's.

A lot of owners on AV forums, have reported heavy image retention on Samsung plasma's.

To be honest it really isnt worth going to currys (or stores like that) to view a TV, they are not properly setup, the lighting is all wrong etc

LCD's are getting better, but plasma is still the best for picture and thats a fact.

Check out hdtvtest website to see if they have a review for your shortlisted TV's.

If you can afford it go for a better make like panasonic, the one Munkey recommended is a good one for someone on a budget, if you can afford it for the PZ range (1080p).

my thoughts are on the same line as Munkey, dont go for LCD if you can. Plasma's dont really suffer from screen burn as people would have you believe you may get a little image retention but that should be gone in an hour or so. In saying that though it is recommended you need to bed the TV in (200hrs), ie reduce the contrast/brightness around halfway before having lengthy sessions on the console.

Also from lab tests LCD's have problems resolving full resolution movement, the only exception is the new sony LCDs. They also dont have a wider viewing angle like plasma's.

A lot of owners on AV forums, have reported heavy image retention on Samsung plasma's.

To be honest it really isnt worth going to currys (or stores like that) to view a TV, they are not properly setup, the lighting is all wrong etc

LCD's are getting better, but plasma is still the best for picture and thats a fact.

Check out hdtvtest website to see if they have a review for your shortlisted TV's.

If you can afford it go for a better make like panasonic, the one Munkey recommended is a good one for someone on a budget, if you can afford it for the PZ range (1080p).

thanks m8 it would have been great if i got a cash payout as i can get a better tv from other online retailers but before deciding on one online i will go in and check on thier instore only deals.

Id pick the 40" Sammy LCD.

Plasmas suffer from screen burn more than LCD and less contrast.

PLAMSAs offer far superiour picture and the burn is less often now as tv companys actively change their logos and red buttons to stop this

Contract, black levels, colour depth are all better on PLASMA TVs. But LCDS are starting to catch up

as long as you dont plan on running static images on the tv such as a pc then id suggest a plasma over LCd

I have a Samsung LE40M86BD bought from dixons online last year for £700 and the picture quality is very good even on SD

only problem is the colour is slightly saturated compared to my TFT or cheap techwood in bedroom so when you see them at same time the picture looka washed out

its got excellent reviews though and when i run my 1080p x264 files from my PC the quality is unreal!

HDTV Guide - LCD & Plasma Review

excellent site for TV reviews if your stuck between 2 TVs

Im with munkey on the TH42PX80 suggestion, its crystal clear on all inputs and with your current options stands out as the obvious choice. However with these new entry level offerings on our doorstep
CES_2009_-_Image_-_TC-P42S1_flat_540x360.jpg

TX-P37X10 - RRP £699 (37" HD Ready)
TX-P42X10 - RRP £799 (42" HD Ready)
it throws a dilemma on the timing a bit - you can either gamble with the stock levels of the px80's and hope that currys still have some when these new ones come in thus forcing the price down some more or just fork out £100 and get the newer version with the soon to be cooed over "infinate black" marketing campaign. Ive seen these things running and they do look Fantasic, we watched the tunnel scene in the dark knight and it is definatly a huge leap forward as far as darker more contrasty gradation goes.

Stock will probably land with currys etc within the month in the meantime there is a preview here on cnet regarding this particular model.

I think I actually prefered it to the kuros at the time as the brighter detail dosent appear to have been dulled down as much with the tinted layer its hard to remember clearly, definatly better that px80 though

source was region A "the dark knight" on an american DMPBD55 with a standard RPCDHF15 cable outputting 1080p with the television rescaling to native definition

I think I actually prefered it to the kuros at the time as the brighter detail dosent appear to have been dulled down as much with the tinted layer its hard to remember clearly, definatly better that px80 though

source was region A "the dark knight" on an american DMPBD55 with a standard RPCDHF15 cable outputting 1080p with the television rescaling to native definition

Kuro's do suffer from black crush which can almost be rectified by calibration, but the fact that Panasonic are catching up is I guess is great news. The key for sargie is what the SD performance is going to be like (if he mostly uses it for normal TV broadcasts)

I guess it would be a little risky holding out another month until they are released as there don't seem to be that many PX80's around but if it were me I'd hang around and chance it, just as long as I don't need the TV urgently.

true, I would guess that the SD performance would be fine as the panel is not full HD and SD wont need to be blown up as much to the display

Think I'd be tempted to go for the Samie LCD, heard lots about power consumption on Plasmas been nearly 3 / 4 times as much as LCD's.

Not sure if this is true and maybe doesnt matter if you dont have the TV on much. However with my wife and our kids the thing never seems to be off :)

For 600 notes I would be looking for 1080p and 100hz and plasma.

100hz if you watch footy.

Back