Acer One Notebook - £150 Asda

managed to bag 2 of these from my local store. First one I have checked is 160gb as well. Thanks for the heads up on this

ok thanx dont know what happened it just said not available last time
i'd still prefer to get a torrent client and rar program for linux working if anyone can help

edogg

got one for the mrs she is happy:) been looking on you tube and seems like you can even make these into a touch screen with a little harware mod, ive got the linux version which not bad ive say does everything she needs it for.

Went to pick mine up last night only to find the silly muppets had sold the one I had reserved! Had a moan & they arranged to collect one from another store for me to collect today :)

If anyone want one & they're near dartford, I know dartford store has 16 in stock.

got one for the mrs she is happy:) been looking on you tube and seems like you can even make these into a touch screen with a little harware mod, ive got the linux version which not bad ive say does everything she needs it for.

They are all Linux at this price mate. Well worth putting windows on as described, runs perfect.

Also got fan control on mine know, get 3 hours battery life as well now.

Did not like LInux at all, seemed like a kiddies joking lappy to me.lol

Got one for the wife, 120gig model but that's o.k. XP running nicely on it and had 1 gig ram from crucial delivered this morning that I'll fit later.

Another thanx here for the heads up, lovely little machine 160gb for me too.

I would recommend if possible a USB DVD Drive as it just makes life easy and you can load any OS with ease. I didn't actually have one myself but I did have an external USB HDD Case which I connected a DVD Drive to and worked fine. (Did have to set Drive to master)

Setting your appearance font size to large or extra large will help the blind among us. lol

Check the Acer website for any drivers you maybe missing when installing XP, there is also a Bios Update (Which I haven't Installed Yet)

If anyone interested the XBMC 8.10 Live CD using intel video (Option 3) loaded up and seem to run fine, Looks dam sexy, but I couldn't get it to run from a USB install, Still playing.

Thanx again

Hej

You cannot beat that XP3-lite i posted, all drivers included, awesome wifi, Intel R graphics accelerator. All In.

Also i would recommend the temp/fan control i mentioned earlier. Battery life is majorly increased with XP, tiny program, i got my fan set to come i at set temps and it also halves processor spped whilst power lead unplugged (kicks in when needed)

If anyone wants it will post a little guide (not my work).

Seen a Sony Vaio with same processor and 160Gb - £900 !!!!

Cheers

I'd be interested in some info on the fan control. Please

I'll also take a look @ XP3-lite, but I just like TinyXP as a base XP OS, I did have to load Video Drivers though.

I must confess I only bought this to have a play, I thought it would make a perfect tiny torrenter on the network. But Id Like it to be a Home Automation Interface.

I'm gonna image the disk when I'm happy with the XP Install then try to Install Mac OSX! I might also see if Windows Home Server will run on it and I'd still like to have XBMC as a bootable Flash Drive.

Thats a great deal, just tipped my mum off and she's going to pick one up now! Been after a cheap lappy for her for the past week, perfect :) Rep added (Might get one for myself also :p) Edit: Were now getting 3! One for me, one for my mum, and one for my aunty! lol

Last edited:
XBMC Alantis 8.10 Does run from Bootable USB Flash Drive (I Used 2gb) created with the LiveCD (Option 0).

Looks very Slick, but NO WiFi, I'm Still Playing.

Seems like the 2nd part of the xp3 lite is broken anyone got a copy somewhere they could re-up?

They are all Linux at this price mate. Well worth putting windows on as described, runs perfect.

Also got fan control on mine know, get 3 hours battery life as well now.

Did not like LInux at all, seemed like a kiddies joking lappy to me.lol

What program did you use for the fan control?

FAN AND CPU CONTROL:

There are two good applications to control fan control - AA1 fan control (google it for links) and A1CTL. However, only one controls the CPU speed too (A1CTL)

I recommend everyone use A1CTL as it is a much more powerful utility. It allows you to set when the fan is off, when the fan is on low (AA1 doesn't allow this) and when the fan is on full power. Alongside this, it also allows CPU throttling - so that when you are on battery power it will restrict the CPU to 800Mhz (highly recommended). This results in the advertised 3 hours battery life! It also allows you to turn on and off Aspire One components and fiddle with the screen settings (for those that really need more than 600 pixels. Oh, and interestingly it fixed the HDD clicking sound some (including myself) have seen on some of these laptops (its due to poor hdd memory management and can be disabled with this app).

Firstly, A1CTL has a homepage at Noda’s Dev Blog - you can download the application at http://noda.free.fr/dev/a1ctl_v0.4.rar ... you'll need winrar (WinRAR archiver, a powerful tool to process RAR and ZIP files) to open it - and extract the files to c:a1ctl

Once downloaded, you'll need to install this runtime: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...98-51D0-41C1-BB14-64662F5F62FE&displaylang=en

Now, try running c:a1ctla1ctl.exe - if it gives you a .ocx error, follow the instructions here:
http://www.majorgeeks.com/faqshow.php?id=8 - after registering the .ocx file you'll be able to run a1ctl.exe

Now, it will ask you to patch the ACPIEC - i cannot remember what this does but I think its a good thing (read more on the net - you can always undo it later). Once the application is running, click on it in the system tray, and choose Configure.

Here you can set all the fan speed temps etc... I am currently using stop under 55c, slow at 60c and full fan at 65c. Most people will tell you its safe to allow the machine to run up to 70c - its your call!

Also, you can choose to restrict the CPU to 800Mhz when on Battery - to do this, choose 800Mhz when on battery power, and Dynamic when on AC power. Dynamic will allow the system to go to 1.6Gz when an application needs it - however of course it uses more battery power!

Cheers

Rang my local asda stoe but they not open to 11am so gotta try again later, im hoping they have some in stock as they looks like a neat little gadget!

Back