Acer Aspire 5738Z Win Vista (sorry) Bad Image error

HappyH

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
My mate's kindly given me his laptop to look at, it runs poorly lots of nag screens during boot & shortly after. First nag screen says
LogonUI.exe - Bad Image

c:\progra~2\browse~2\251005~1.80\{c16c1~1\browse~1.dll is either not designed to run on Windows or it contains an error. Try installing the program again using the original installation media or contact your system administrator or the software vendor for support

If I ok the prompt it moves on to logon screen, enter password then lots more screens than can be ok'd away, all of the list below appear with the same description as the first nag screen.

AtBroker.exe - Bad Image
userinit.exe - Bad Image
dwm.exe - Bad Image
explorer.exe - Bad Image
igfxpers.exe - Bad Image
hkcmd.exe - Bad Image
SkyTel.exe - Bad Image
ehtray.exe - Bad Image
RtHDVCpl.exe - Bad Image
SSScheduler.exe - Bad Image
TeaTimer.exe - Bad Image
ePowerTrayLauncher.exe - Bad Image
igfxtray.exe - Bad Image
wlanutil.exe - Bad Image
wmpnscfg.exe - Bad Image
p2phost.exe - Bad Image
avgui.exe- Bad Image
GfxUI.exe - Bad Image
ePowerTray.exe - Bad Image

Not sure if something needed has been deleted, don't have a Vista disk & running malwarebytes, Spybot S&D & AVG free now.

Any more advice appreciated. Not sure if the entry c:\progra~2\browse~2\251005~1.80\{c16c1~1\browse~1.dll Should or can be edited out in the registry??

Cheers in advance,
HH.

Could be few things so if you get no joy from what you're doing now download stinger (McAfee) standalone scanner and run that (all scans in safe mode, all downloads on another PC). You can also try Trend Micro Housecall but it relies on being able to run asp in IE.

If no joy then brutal mode - download HijackThis and run in Safe Mode, check the results for c:\progra~2\browse~2\251005~1.80\{c16c1~1\browse~1 .dll and tell HJT to fix it. Reboot and check.

Cheers for prompt responses chaps, looks like HJT has sorted it. Gonna update it now & tidy it up a bit. Thanks again.
HH.

edit: rep added to you both, Ta muchly.

Last edited:
Back