A little help.

baggy69

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi all, like every one here im after a little more speed :) but im a total beginner at modems. At the moment i have a subbed sb4200e, what i would like to know is, is it best to get the same and work on that or is there a better model to work with?
Thanks Baggy69.

or if you still decide to go for a motorola surfboard watch n make sure you get the correct model for your cable company as iam sure i heard some surfs dont work in certain areas, so do yar homework first mate.

Thanks guys, is fleabay the best place to get a 250 or is there better places ?

lol, plenty of vans around my area, may have to ask one of them nice fellows :)
what price am i looking to pay around?

put it this way mate, theres someone just now selling 250's on ebay, already flashed and everything for 20quid, so that gives ya an idea mate.

The 4200e is a great modem mate. easy to set up, ive been running one for about 12 months and no problems.

Hi all, like every one here im after a little more speed but im a total beginner at modems. At the moment i have a subbed sb4200e, what i would like to know is, is it best to get the same and work on that or is there a better model to work with?
Thanks Baggy69.

Right, ive got a 250, well should be here in the morning :) I read the haynes manual, and im sniffing macs to trade at the moment.
I have 1 question about my setup. I will hopefully be running 250 to wireless router, with one pc wired to router and laptop connected wirelessly. The question is do i need to smac both laptop and pc or do i just need to change the mac in the wireless router?
Thanks Baggy69.

Right, ive got a 250, well should be here in the morning :) I read the haynes manual, and im sniffing macs to trade at the moment.
I have 1 question about my setup. I will hopefully be running 250 to wireless router, with one pc wired to router and laptop connected wirelessly. The question is do i need to smac both laptop and pc or do i just need to change the mac in the wireless router?
Thanks Baggy69.

iam not 100% on this, maybe 99%, lol, but i dont think you need to use smac at all if you use a router mate.

Also, why you reading the haynes manual, i thought you ordered one of those 250's that comes already flashed up etc ?? no ? If you did then all you do is simply use the 250 mac changer program (available from here in digy), only takes seconds and enter in a new mac, like i told you before in pm mate, you really dont need to use another mac, you can use your own subbed one noo problems, but i guess if you want to use another then its no big deal, entirley your own choice.
hope this helps.

If your using a router u dont need to smac the laptop/pc just change the mac on the router...

iam not 100% on this, maybe 99%, lol, but i dont think you need to use smac at all if you use a router mate.

Also, why you reading the haynes manual, i thought you ordered one of those 250's that comes already flashed up etc ?? no ? If you did then all you do is simply use the 250 mac changer program (available from here in digy), only takes seconds and enter in a new mac, like i told you before in pm mate, you really dont need to use another mac, you can use your own subbed one noo problems, but i guess if you want to use another then its no big deal, entirley your own choice.
hope this helps.

Hi mate, yes i saw the mac changer :)
was just reading the haynes manual as i wanted to see how to do it from scratch :)

Got modem and got it up and running, god that was easy :)
10 megs getting 7.5meg looks like no 20meg in my area yet :(
Thanks for all the advice :)

Back