5402HD out for repair

abp1873

Inactive User
Reaction score
Sent my 5402HD for repair as it was consistently showing no signal or it was dropping channels and when i turn it on only after it taking 3 - 4 attempts it will show the number 2 , 5 or 6 or a blank screen on display panel on the box, also whilst on for a while it would cut out with a low droning sound coming from the box.

After 4 days at Technomate in London I called and asked for an update and was told they could not find anything wrong with it, now thanks to help from forums on here etc i feel i am quite confident about how these boxes work and I know that there is something wrong with it and fully intend to video the front of the box when they send it back because if they do nothing I know it will go wonky again.

Now the point of all this is the substandard customer service which has become ever-present on all forums along with lack of proper Technomate updates etc. They have went from a 9 out of 10 box to a 2 out of 10 box. So if anyone from Technomate is listening my advice would be get you're finger out as nobody will buy you're products if people they are trying to sell to are being told they are crap with no continual updates and crap customer service. Also we all know who buys these type of products people like us who read these forums or forums like this

In Conclusion

DON'T BUY ONE OF THESE BOXES

Hi mate,
How old is the receiver?Has "repair" been done under warranty or have you been invoiced?
Strange that Technomate would say there is no nothing wrong with it if you are getting symptoms as described, especially the front display error.
I have a 5402HD and fan deleloped a "droning" noise too, it's quite common on these receivers. You can turn fan off in the menu settings if you have receiver in a well ventilated room or if you are brave enough to take off cover, you can apply a drop of sewing oil on the fan. Works a treat on Desktop pc's too!

Why going directly to TM .... ? Normally the reseller where you bought has to solve this problem for you.
I've had similar problems like you are describing. Mostly this indcates a motherboard fault....(refering the numbers on front led screen)
Also I had to sent the tm box Twice almost 3 times insisting I was not making it up... Of course it helps when you add a paper with a picture and clear information about what is happening with the box ....

is this receiver connected to a multi output LNB, along with any other receivers by any chance?

not connected to a multi output LNB - I will upload jpeg if it comes back wonky - sorry if this is wrong but I bought box from Lavatronics last November ( so still in warranty ) and they advised to send it direct to Technomate as that is all they would do so they suggested i cut out the middle man. Just called them and all I've been told is its on test and the repair guys are at lunch.

Well just a wee update My box at Technomate never accepted the update or factory reset via the turn it off at back and turning it on holding standby button at front method advised by Technomate. So not sure if this is a result or not ? they are sending me a re-furbished one which will still keep the original warranty until November. so I will run it for a week with turning it on and off to see how it reacts.

Hi abp1873 et al,

I don't know what everyone else thinks about this...?

Technomate are saying that they can only offer you a re-furbished receiver as a replacement...!! pfff... I would not have accepted that... you are still within the manufacturers official 12 month warranty period... I would have asked for a brand new replacement... I can't believe that... it shouldn't make any difference whether the receiver was sent back to Technomate 10 days after purchase or 10 months after purchase... you are still within the manufacturers official 12 month warranty period... and if they cannot repair your original receiver you sent to them... then it should be a brand new replacement surely...

I think that is very poor offer mate...

Best Wishes,
Zorch

IMO, the most important thing is that he has a working receiver and that it is functioning correctly. The replacement would have received extensive stress tests (provided user error is not claimed by TM). They some times add components to replacement/repaired units to aid stability/performance which new boxes would not have. I hope they wiped the finger marks off!

I have briefly looked at the consumer rights, it does not mention if the replacement must be new or refurbished. He is entitled to a timely repair or replacement.

IMO, the most important thing is that he has a working receiver and that it is functioning correctly. The replacement would have received extensive stress tests (provided user error is not claimed by TM). They some times add components to replacement/repaired units to aid stability/performance which new boxes would not have. I hope they wiped the finger marks off!

I have briefly looked at the consumer rights, it does not mention if the replacement must be new or refurbished. He is entitled to a timely repair or replacement.

I am sorry but I think your wrong, how can a manufacture or importer decide just what is suitable as a replacement. This customer BOUGHT a NEW receiver, a refurbished unit could be in any state as long as it worked. No it should be a new receiver or FULL refund of the money he paid.
If we allow suppliers to decide what is suitable then we will end up with any old crap.

I've always been an avid reader of the forums, especially as i have a duo and a 5402. Thought i would chip in here and say what on earth are you talking about!

I have an iphone 4s. It went faulty in about 4 months with signal problems. What did apple do? They gave me a refurb phone. Had the red ring of death on my xbox, Microsft gave me a refurb replacement. All companies do it like this. No company would ever give you a brand new replacement!

I've always been an avid reader of the forums, especially as i have a duo and a 5402. Thought i would chip in here and say what on earth are you talking about!

I have an iphone 4s. It went faulty in about 4 months with signal problems. What did apple do? They gave me a refurb phone. Had the red ring of death on my xbox, Microsft gave me a refurb replacement. All companies do it like this. No company would ever give you a brand new replacement!

if you have sky fitted, and your receiver packs in 30 minutes after the engineer leaves the house, itll be relpaced, with an 'A-grade' receiver (refurbished)

It's a pity that retailers like John Lewis don't sell sat equipment, in 2009 I purchased a 22" TV and a few weeks ago it only had sound, no picture. Took it back to JL, two weeks later they offered me a new current model tv or a refund of the cost of the new tv. That's what I call service.

if you have sky fitted, and your receiver packs in 30 minutes after the engineer leaves the house, itll be relpaced, with an 'A-grade' receiver (refurbished)

Hi digidude, my daughter's IPHONE 4S developed a fault after 4 months. Took it to Apple shop in Milton Keynes and they gave her a new one, no quibbles whatsoever. To be honest I would not have accepted anything else!
There is no way you should be given a refurbished replacement for an item that's still under warranty, absolutely ridiculous in my opinion.

I'm sorry but this is total rubbish, I have returned faulty items to Argos and have ALWAYS been offered either a new replacement or a full refund NEVER a refurbished replacement. This is the way a responsible retailer should operate not offer something which has already been returned once before!!

My router failed after 11 months, took it to PC World and they handed me a brand spanker. No questions or issues.

Sent from the "Curious Rover"

Slightly off topic but no word of a lie, that happened to me. The 2 x Sky fitters installed mini dish, cables and receiver in about 30 mins. One of then came in to do the demo of sky+ and it wouldn't pause or rewind without crashing the box. The 'engineer' told me it was still warming up. Like there were valves in it or something...

I asked them to get me a new box out of the van, and was told they were all allocated to jobs later in the day, and I should call customer service to get them to send a replacement box with another engineer. Not likely, I knew it would be a refurb. I refused to sign the install form and then politely asked them to remove their dish, cable and at least 100 tower clips from my wall, which they reluctantly did.

Would have been easier to give me a new box and delay someone elses install till they went back to the shop for a spare.

Wow, dont be so naive! You know you can make a phone or any product look new but its not! Apple doesnt give you a brand new replacement from their brand new stock. They have serviced replacements.

Also, you are comparing argos or whatever...they are RETAILERS..of course they might do things differently than dealing direct with the manufacturer for the service of a product. Remember, the original poster bought it from a satellite retailer. Dont be naive. Basic business 101...who makes the most profit out of a product? Guess..the retailer! Its them who should be sorting you out..

Last edited:
Wow, dont be so naive! You know you can make a phone or any product look new but its not! Apple doesnt give you a brand new replacement from their brand new stock. They have serviced replacements.

Also, you are comparing argos or whatever...they are RETAILERS..of course they might do things differently than dealing direct with the manufacturer for the service of a product. Remember, the original poster bought it from a satellite retailer. Dont be naive. Basic business 101...who makes the most profit out of a product? Guess..the retailer! Its them who should be sorting you out..

Wow, don't be so condescending pal. New IPHONE 4S phone was unwrapped from sealed box before my very eyes, CAN'T BE MUCH NEWER THAT THAT!
I am sure other other people who have posted here on this subject got new sealed replacements too!

Ok mate, not here to bicker. Just saying what happened to me and what i know. Will also add that i just checked with a mate's mate who works at the apple genius bar and he said the replacements are not brand new so dont know how you got a new one. Anyway, my point earlier was, the retailer is responsible.

Back