iPhone 3GS - unlocking problem

gooner71

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi - I have a 3gs that when i bought was on t-mobile - i tried other sims and everything said "no service" so i presumed it was locked. Had to be with t-mobile for 3 months to get an unlock with them so just used their sim until now. After ordering an unlock yesterday I had a call today to say that they think the phone is already unlocked according to my IMEI ? So i tried a voda sim and it still says "no service" i also tried to reset network settings.

I am on 5.01 at the moment and i have resisted going to 5.1 until an untethered jailbreak is available as i am guessing i will lose my jailbreak if i update? I am expecting a call back from them shortly and from what they said earlier i am pretty sure they are going to want me to to connect to itunes. is there any other way i can check mayeb with apple to see what the status of the phone is?

may sound obvious but do these sims your trying work ok in other phones?

yes you will loose ya jailbreak mate , you can still plug into itunes just choose not to update when the prompt box appears, you shouldnt have to update to 5.1 just to see if your phone is unlocked turn off your phone , insert the sim and see how you get on, the unlock will work on any fw mate so if you have to phone them back to say your not having much joy, if they say do a restore ask them why , you might have to wait for the unlock , let us know how you get on mate

Put a SIM that you want to use into the phone. Switch "flight mode" on, then switch it back off. The phone should prompt "Sim Failure". That means that is locked to a different network. Obviosly, you'll need to try a couple of sims. If you get no prompt, other than "no service", or the phone displays no carrier, then it or the sims that you are using are faulty / barred.

Just to add. If it's jailbroken already with ultrasnow installed, uninstall ultrasnow, reinstall it, and try again.

i also read while back that you may have to activate the sim with itunes

so put new sim card in, connect to itunes and see what happens

Just to update - i bought another vodafone sim this evening and put it in - initially it said no service but after a few minutes it said - needs activation on the screen - i clicked ok and then it sprang to life and works perfectly!! Thanks for all your input!! I think patience was the missing part i was looking for!! lol

Back