Mobile Phones 3g tethering

tony49

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
ok lads ive read the post bye Thommo about 3g tethering
im off back in hospital on the 23 of this month for a fue days what i plan to do is take my phone and a laptop to tether to it to watch sky go
with my contrack i only get 500.MB Mobile Web is that enough to watch a footy match on the laptop or does anyone no how lang it would last

cheers tony

Quite a good read here

What do 500MB and 1GB actually correspond to in real life usage? For example, how many webpages, emails or videos is this?

It’s hard to give an exact figure – for example every webpage will differ in size depending on the amount of text, images and other multimedia content on it. Also, whilst most e-mail messages are typically small in size, they can be fairly large if they include attachments such as photographs. In the following table, we’ve taken “typical” values as provided by O2:

500MB corresponds to…1GB corresponds to…
Basic webpages (mainly text)5,00010,000
Rich webpages (with multimedia, e.g. BBC)1,5003,000
Basic e-mails500,0001,000,000
Rich e-mails (with attachments)1,0002,000
Downloading/streaming music100 songs200 songs
Downloading/streaming video1 hour2 hours
Skype voice call15 hours30 hours
Skype video call2 hours4 hours
Listening to online radio8 hours16 hours
Downloading/updating apps80 apps160 apps

thanks for that bidders looks like i wont be watching the footy then

I recently joined giffgaff and so far very good. However they do not allow tethering and they will ban your sim. Reading through their forums, they are checking and banning users when found.

I believe Three allow tethering and they just introduced all you can eat data for around £18 for a month.

three don't allow tethering on all you can eat data, they do an addon which will allow you 2gb per month.

I recently joined giffgaff and so far very good. However they do not allow tethering and they will ban your sim. Reading through their forums, they are checking and banning users when found.

I believe Three allow tethering and they just introduced all you can eat data for around £18 for a month.

Back