SkyGo Data Usage?

Redgun71

DW Regular ++
Reaction score
My dad is in hospital (no WiFi) and is bored as there is no footy on the TV apart from freeview, so I though I would buy a 3G dongle and get internet access on my laptop for him to watch.
I spoke to O2 & 3 sales people and they said 2 or 3GB data a month dongle (£35-40) would only last a couple of hours watching a live stream website, these dongles are for made web browsing and downloading the some music/videos on the go.
But my brother watches something like JustinTV off his Android phone for the weekend and midweek footy and hasn't been pulled up by his mobile company regarding his "excessive" data usage, he's only got 1GB limit per month :err:
Does anybody know how much is being use when watching Skygo?

Thanks

streaming hq video will be anywhere from 500mg per hour to 6 gb depending on the stream quality

I watch something like 2 football games
And 3 movies and my operator said I used
6 gb.

hi m8 i was in hospital most of last week
most have them thing in there that has tv phone and internet but you can also pay to log in to there wifi and thy will give you a user name and password the lad i spoke to said it was 11.50 for the week sounds a lot but 2 in my room were paying 10 aday for tv now i didnt take a loptop as i was told i would be charged to plug it in so best to find out what the score is with the word and then make sure you can get skygo with the wifi all the best tony

The hospital doesn't sell WiFi, it has "pay" freeview, internet (browsing), pay on demand films.
Bought a 2GB dongle from O2 at a discounted price from £35 to £25, watched the Chelsea game midweek on a crap stream which used up only 300mb.
The nurses didn't care that I was charging my laptop but previously when my dad was in hospital I got him a toaster they said he couldn't use it as it hadn't been PAT tested.

If you have a decent connection at home maybe just fill the Laptop with films,football etc. I know with sopcast you can record the footie then just stick it on a usb stick.

As for the dongles they are not really any good for streaming stuff most of the time just for light browsing unless you dont mind paying through the nose for it.

A few months ago I was looking into giffgaff and was reading on their forums that people were moaning that they were getting restricted once they reached 20gb useage on their unlimited package.

I think its a tenner for unlimited web usage on giffgaff for the month so even if they do boot you off at 20gb, still good value I think. maybe get a couple of sims for the month or so.

Also isnt there a quality setting on skygo and dont forget you can get links to streams, which arent as bandwith hungr as skygo, here on DW

Back