360 won't read games...what's the best cause for this machine? none modded

dibbers

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Chaps, me friends Xbox 360 has stopped reading the games, what's the best cause for this machine, I've told her that M$ will not replace it as it's a laser error, if I replace the drive and copy over the key there might be a slight chance that it could get flagged, banned in the future for tampering etc.

I am not going down the "new laser" route as never had any successful laser replacement and for all it's worth you might as well go get a new drive.

I was thinking of making it RROD but even if it did and they repaired that the drive would be the same drive? (I remember some one sending there's in with RROD and they even sent it back with the cocktail sticks that were inside of it, me thinks some one tried putting them in when the fans were spinning rather than turning it on with them already in place.)

What ya all think, get her to buy a replacement drive and I'll just copy the key over....she pays her money takes her chances? I just don't want to be held responsible for her son getting banned some time in the future, all though, I do know of one machine that has had a donor drive and the key copied over and there fine.

Ta.

I would say get a new laser and stop being a nancy pants:Biggrin2:What drive is it?

lol, I don't know I'll have to ask her to have a look and then I'll see what date and what kind of machine it is. Them darn lasers though! never had any fun with them!

Rights, back, It's a liteon, tried cleaning the laser with the trusty cleaning fluid and it's a "no-go" with that, Looks like a new laser or a new drive and I'll swap the PCB's (tiny bit of soldering involved) how do you remove the ribbon cables, they just pull out rather than a little plastic peg that pulls up? (it's been that long and with this not being my machine I don't want to rip em out)

new drive or laser, decisions, decisions!

it's a DG-16D2S-09C

(P.S never heard a drive make like an audible note when the drive ejects.? bit weird like...)

Ah just looking and there al the DG-16D2S one but they are listed as a 74850C and this one is a 83850c. (have they changed the board around inside them and do I need to be worrying about the differences if they are both the same model i.e DG-162DS coz that's just the firmware ain't it?)

Ta.

Last edited:
Suppose I could like, any Tuts about rather than me going in and just trying small adjustments? Multi meter time like?

Thanks mate, mines reading 5.26....get it down to about 3.3 you say?

Right got it down to 3.6, that's about as close as I can get it, Kind of a result though, it says "the disk in un-readable now" which is a step on from it not reading any!

Original none touched machine....brand new game as well.....ah I'm not going to waste any more time on it, she's going to get a new drive, So just grab me self a Liteon
DG-16D2S-09C and swap PCB's over?

Last edited:
Dibbs

I would think a new laser is easier than changing board.there only 6 pound on a well known auction site.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk

I know mate, it's just I never had any luck in the past with them and always took the easier option out, OK i'll go have a look for a laser then and give it a shot then, remove the little blob of solder, I can just see me ending up with a new drive.

But hey why not, I'll give it a whirl eh?

Just looking for some now, what's all this HOP business?

[h=1]HOP-141B[/h]

Hi guys, got me new laser, Can't see any solder joint to "un-solder" ? am I missing summit? (apart from a brain before you say it!...lol)

There should be dibbs unless the guy has already desoldered.if you dont desolder will not work m8

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk

Thanks mate, the guy who I bought the new laser off has all ready removed it, just got to fit it now! (he sent me an email telling me that he has removed it as it's to weed out the duff lasers! nice one, just off to fit it now) thanks again.

Back