3 Mobile Wirleless Modems

graemewh

Inactive User
Reaction score
My gf wants to connect to the internet but cant get cables etc put in house, I have seen the 3 wireless modems you plug in, its 1mb you pay £40 and then poay £10 a month. the speed is 2.8 mbps would you recomend this guys? She will only be using it for accessing the net mainly, no major downloading etc

Have you tried finding any open wireless networks in her area ?

to be honest she hasnt got a laptop yet! we are looking to get one and then getthe internet, dont really want to rely on someoen elses network, what do you need to do that just a sensor to pick the signal up?

Most laptops come with built in wireless nowadays, once she gets the laptop fire up the wlan utility and do a scan for any open networks, in some built up areas you can find quite a few. I understand that she doesnt want to rely on someone elses network but it could be a useful stopgap while your arranging your own internet provider.

Most laptops come with built in wireless nowadays, once she gets the laptop fire up the wlan utility and do a scan for any open networks, in some built up areas you can find quite a few. I understand that she doesnt want to rely on someone elses network but it could be a useful stopgap while your arranging your own internet provider.

The thing is she doesn’t want to go into a proper internet provider ie: installing stuff etc so would you recommend the 3 mobile usb modems they seem cheapish and decent speed

I've no experience of them but £10 a month for an allowance of 1gb should be fine as long as shes not wanting to fileshare or do heavy downloads.

The adapter is available for £99 on a 12 month contract and £49 on a 24 month contract.

Last edited:
I received my 3 USB modem last week and I am very happy with it, depending on the signal strength I get speeds up to 1MB but can be as low as 256Kbps. I only use it for general web browsing and emails and its fine, if ordering from www.three.co.uk go through Quidco to receive the £55 cashback.

Check on 3's coverage checker to see if you are in a turbo area for full HSPDA speed.

Back