2.4Ghz Quad Core v 3Ghz Dual Core... Which one?

Thanks for the replies, especially Digicol... doffs_cap

I might have to up the budget for the Mobo then...Bugga! ;)

Anybody know the answer to my Boot Menu question, on the Gigabyte and Asus boards please? (Press ESC (whatever) to boot a specific device/HDD...?)

I am sure most BIOS versions differ mate, I never take any notice and just press loads of keys on boot and then reboot each time until I get the correct one, I never remember which does what, run setup? Start in safe mode? Boot from DVD? etc.

Is it a major issue though? You say your mates Abit board would not give you the option, I have never had that problem with any of my boards but I have never used an Abit board in my life.

If push comes to shove it seems like a bit of shame to snuff a great board over something so simple, after all it would take you about 30 seconds to change your boot in bios to DVD if you ever needed it.

Is it a major issue though? You say your mates Abit board would not give you the option, I have never had that problem with any of my boards but I have never used an Abit board in my life.

If push comes to shove it seems like a bit of shame to snuff a great board over something so simple, after all it would take you about 30 seconds to change your boot in bios to DVD if you ever needed it.

Yeah I know where your coming from, but for *me* it is an issue... The Abit IP35Pro, sadly doesn't support a boot menu...

I want it, and use it, because I've an O/S on the boot partition of each drive, XP 32bit on one, Ubuntu on another, and XP 64bit on another, and the beauty of the Boot Menu means I can just hit ESC (whatever) during bootup, and switch to whatever HDD (O/S) I need to boot to... No dodgy bootloaders required that so often get corrupted and lead to all manner of hassles...!

I've just done a bit of digging and looked at a few manuals, and it "seems" that the Gigabyte boards still support this feature (F12) I checked the DS3 and DS4, so that's good... (Shown in a screenshot of the BIOS/POST screen)

I looked at a couple of Asus manuals, the P5K, and Striker Extreme, and the manuals make no mention of this facility... Of course that doesn't mean they don't have it, just that the manual doesn't show it...

Can any Asus owners confirm/deny whether it is available....?

So, atm, it looks like a Gigabyte board, with a Q6600 chip..... Hmmm....

Thanks again...

Yeah I know where your coming from, but for *me* it is an issue... The Abit IP35Pro, sadly doesn't support a boot menu...

I want it, and use it, because I've an O/S on the boot partition of each drive, XP 32bit on one, Ubuntu on another, and XP 64bit on another, and the beauty of the Boot Menu means I can just hit ESC (whatever) during bootup, and switch to whatever HDD (O/S) I need to boot to... No dodgy bootloaders required that so often get corrupted and lead to all manner of hassles...!

I've just done a bit of digging and looked at a few manuals, and it "seems" that the Gigabyte boards still support this feature (F12) I checked the DS3 and DS4, so that's good... (Shown in a screenshot of the BIOS/POST screen)

I looked at a couple of Asus manuals, the P5K, and Striker Extreme, and the manuals make no mention of this facility... Of course that doesn't mean they don't have it, just that the manual doesn't show it...

Can any Asus owners confirm/deny whether it is available....?

So, atm, it looks like a Gigabyte board, with a Q6600 chip..... Hmmm....

Thanks again...

I used hundreds of M/B in my time and the answer to which manufacture to use, changes over time. Rightnow I would Gigabyte and Foxconn (budget systems).

I used hundreds of M/B in my time and the answer to which manufacture to use, changes over time. Rightnow I would Gigabyte and Foxconn (budget systems).

And for non budget systems you'd use....?

I would imagine your PSU will handle it, if it is 400w or above it will be ok.

What people do not realise is that components actually use LESS power now than they did a few years ago, yet people panic about their PSU power and because the market is pushing closer and closer to 1000W and above as standard people think they need that sort of power to run dual and quad core CPU's.

You don't mate, if your not running any heavy card then a good 400w will be ok, but if your pushing a GTX then get a 500w just in case you need to push lots of usb devices and extra hard drives in there at some point.

What is the spec of your current PSU?

Also your into copter sims, I have no idea how demanding thery are but best bang for buck is the 8800GT 512mb which can be found for about £140ish. If they are not too demanding then maybe a 8600GT for about £50 will do you.

Their latest PSU is the PurePower PST520W. W00073 being equipped with Active PFC,
This new PSU promises a steady flow of power at 520W, and uses a P.S.T. so that its cords are arrayed in a manner allowing thus a more effective air flow in the PC case.

Features

The PSU main features are exposed below:

- Ingenious Modularized Cable Management and Power Station that allows you to arrange cables easier and smarter.
- 5 .25” P.S.T fits any 5.25” driver bay and offers various connectors for all peripheral devices
- Mini P.S.T offers convenient output for devices and accessories at various locations
- Blue LED around 5.25” P.S.T socket to illuminate your system
- Rubber Sleeved Cable increase air flow and decrease clutter inside the chassis
- Active PFC, improve energy efficiency and reduce current load on AC delivery systems
- Protection against Over Power, Short-Circuit, Over-current, Overload, and Over-temperature
- Safety / EMI Approvals: CE, CB, TUV, FCC, UL, CSA, and CUL certification (For Active PFC). FCC, UL, CUL, CSA certification (For Non PFC)
- Dual 6-pin PCI-Express connectors for High-end VGA card

Specifications

Below, you can see the specifications of the PurePower PST520W PSU.

Maximum Power 520 Watts
Switches ATX Logic on-off additional power rocker switch(115/230 V selector switch)
Color Black
PFC
(Power Factor Correction) Active PFC
Cooling System Blue LED 12cm Fan:
Speed 2000 RPM(+/-10%)
Dimensions 120 x 120 x 25 mm
Temperature Auto Control
P. G. Signal 100-500ms
Over Voltage Protection recycle AC to reset +5V trip point < +7.0V
+3.3V trip point < +4.5V
+12V trip point <+15.6V
Dimensions
Unit Size 15cm(L)x14cm(W)x8.6cm(H)
Net Weight 1.8 kg
Noise 17dBA at 1300RPM
Input
Input Voltage 100 VAC / 240 VAC
Input Frequency Range 50 ~ 60 Hz
Input Current 8.0A/4.0A
Hold-up Time 16ms
Efficiency > 70%

OUTPUT
+3.3V +5V +12V +12V -12V +5VSB
Max. Load 30A 30A 15A 15A 0.3A 2A
Min. Load 0.5A 1.0A 1.0A 1.0A 0A 0A
Load Reg. +5% ~ -5% +5% ~ -5% +5% ~ -5% +5% ~ -5% +10% ~ -10% +5% ~ -5%
Ripple V(p-p) 50mV 50mV 120mV 200mV 120mV 50mV

and the helicopter sims I think a 256mb 8600 would be fine, so maybe the 512mb would be better, or go dual sli

Also thinking of the Abit IP35 Pro.
They have been having good reviews, slightly better than the Asus in some respects.
Ive had Abit from a KT7A-Raid onwards and been very happy with it, even modding the mobo.

my last 2 boards have been abit and i`am sure my next board will be.
They have been having good reviews, slightly better than the Asus in some respects.
Ive had Abit from a KT7A-Raid onwards and been very happy with it, even modding the mobo.

Just seen the IX38 range of asus nicccceeeeee
Asus Maximus Extreme
Asus P5E3 Deluxe

The X38 seruies are way overpriced mate, to be honest I have not read much on them but what I have heard they are not much better than the p35 chipset, the only real reason for getting one is if your going crossfire. (I think).

Also that PSU is fine mate, it would handle a mid range SLI setup, but I would never go that way, for the same price (ish) you could get the amazing 8800GT which will run much cooler, much less power and be much more stable, not forgetting easier to setup.

But as you say you may as well try an 8600GT and see how you copter sims run on that, after all they are only about £50 or so. You can even get a nice passively cooled one to make your PC quiter. <<EDIT<<<<< days later, after reading the post, WTF? Quiter?, lol. If you quit you could even make it quiEter, lmfao.

Last edited:
They have been having good reviews, slightly better than the Asus in some respects..

It's a lovely board, built my mate's rig with it for him. Good VFM and you won't go far wrong in that choice IMHO. (It just doesn't suit my needs.)

Ok, after much digging, I'm now leaning towards Asus, because I really wanted Dual LAN, so I can free up a PCI slot, and I can't seem to find a Gigabyte board with Dual LAN...? (Unless anybody knows otherwise...?)

Anybody know anything about these two boards....?

P5K Premium/WiFi-AP

P5K WS

As mentioned before, it'd be teamed up with a Q6600...

Too much choice these days...! :)

And btw, I've decided to up the budget, so this'll hopefully help me to get what I want/need...

Ta guys.

Unless I'm missing something, that's not what I'm talking about... Doing things that way, means faffing in the BIOS each time you want to boot a different drive.... The facility I'm talking about avoids that rigmarole by a simple key press, (F12, ESC, etc) just after POST...

Not to mention that board isn't greatly recieved, and as Digicol said above, the X38's are rather over priced atm.... (And it's not Dual LAN)

Ok, sorry for reviving this this but I'm now ready to purchase...

I'm going to go for an Asus Board, as they do indeed have the boot menu which is important to me...

So, which mobo should I plump for in your opinion...? (Digicol...?! ;))

I want (would like) Dual LAN, and a decent amount of USB's. It will run the Q6600 chip... Oh, and it must have Firewire.

Thanks.

Ok, sorry for reviving this this but I'm now ready to purchase...

I'm going to go for an Asus Board, as they do indeed have the boot menu which is important to me...

So, which mobo should I plump for in your opinion...? (Digicol...?! ;))

I want (would like) Dual LAN, and a decent amount of USB's. It will run the Q6600 chip... Oh, and it must have Firewire.

Thanks.

The only P35 solutions that meet your criteria seem to be the Blitz and Blitz extreme.

The Abit pro seems to have all you need and is quite a fast board, faster than the Asus P5k series of boards.

It has dual lan, raid, firewire 400mbps, 6usb ports, 3 PCI-express slots, 2eSATA, 6 SATA, etc.

Seems good for what you need, cheapest I can find it is £115 at Yoyotech.
http://www.yoyotech.co.uk/product_i...=4323&osCsid=5e3d2fa303e69bfaae79e14b4a3040e1

Ah bollocks, just read your post again, I thought you said you were going for the Abit so forget the above comments.

Back