2.4Ghz Quad Core v 3Ghz Dual Core... Which one?

Dazza

Inactive User
Reaction score
Which CPU would be best to get do you reckon?

Is the Phenom worth considering, or are they (AMD) still being hammered by Intel?

Ta for any advice.

The few hardware reviews I've seen for the Phenom say they don't hold a candle to the Core 2 Quads. They might do once the 64nm versions become available, but AMD had to rush them out under the older 92nm architecture.

I've recently gone for the Q6600 and its a good little processor. Doing the rounds in the sales at the moment too (overclockers had the retail for less than ebuyer were selling the OEM version the other week). Paired with Vista applications can be spread accross the 4 cores better than in XP, but you're going to need at least double the RAM for Vista.

If you play games and you've already got a PCI-e graphics card, keep using it until the DX10.1 cards become available some time in H1/08 (February?). The Intel chipsets will support crossfire and the nVidia nForce chipsets support SLi, just something to bare in mind if you're already using multiple graphics cards.

If you go for more than 3Gb of RAM go for a 64bit OS and a motherboard that supports at least 8Gb.

Avoid motherboards that take both DDR2 and DDR3 there are reports of performance hits even when the just using one type. Go for one or the other.

The Phenom is not living up to Intel I am afraid to say mate.

Also if I were buying I would go quad core, get the GO stepping Q6600, it is a great processor and also fairs very well in gaming along with oher applications. If you overclock it then you have an absolute monster of a processor at just £150!!

Thanks guys... It was the Q6600 I was thinking of if I went x4...

I'm not a gamer really, certainly not high end stuff... I like the odd footy game now and again, but that's about it....

But I do do a fair bit of video work...

My current mobo has a terminal USB problem, so I'm using this as an excuse to upgrade!

I'll probably steer away from Vista for now, as I'm not overly keen, and my legit version is only a Home Basic 32bit version. (I'll wait and see what happens after sp1 get released before I fuly decide if I go to 64bit Vista ;) )

I've got a kosher XP pro 32 and 64bit license so I'll probably just stick with XP for now... (Though 64bit XP has given me issues before...)

@ maarksparky - Why mate? What do you base that on?

The 3ghz would be the 6850 right?

Obviously that is faster at stock than the quad where apps do not take advatange of all the cores, but the way things are going and if your not gaming then I would deffo get the Q6600, make sure it has GO stepping and you could easily push that to 3ghz and have a much better CPU.

In general there is not much between them, but obviously the more cores do come in useful when certain programs look for them.

The 3ghz would be the 6850 right?

Obviously that is faster at stock than the quad where apps do not take advatange of all the cores, but the way things are going and if your not gaming then I would deffo get the Q6600, make sure it has GO stepping and you could easily push that to 3ghz and have a much better CPU.

In general there is not much between them, but obviously the more cores do come in useful when certain programs look for them.

Thanks Digicol...

I think I'll probably follow your advice...

Got any advice regarding Mobo's, seeing as you seem pretty clued up...? I think I'll have to settle for a mid range mobo, as my budget is limited and I've got to get a GFX card, RAM and ideally a new TFT monitor too, yet...

I recently went for Q6600 £152.57 paired with MSI P35 Platinum £101.32 and 4Gb OCZ PC2-5400 £73.32, been rock solid and fast. Cheapest I could find at the time was yoyotech.co.uk, but worth shopping around.

I am using a Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R. I would definately recommend it with 4gb ram.

I am using a Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R. I would definately recommend it with 4gb ram.

Excellent board for the price mate, that is the one I recommend to peeps if they are on a mid budget. £70 from Ebuyer.

But if he is in a tighter budget I think there is the MSI P35 for about £55 which is also a good performer.

Obviously you can go cheaper to mid 30's with onboard graphics, will do you ok'ish and I am sure I could find one that may overclock pretty decent also.

But my hard sale would be the Gigabyte for £70, mid range price with top performance, great features and fantastic overclocks.

Also those Abit boards may be decent also, never used Abit personally but they do seem to have some decent reports.

Go with a P35 chipset board and you won't go wrong I have a MSI P35 Neo2 FR was £55 from scan and have my q6600 running at 3.6ghz.

Thanks guys... It was the Q6600 I was thinking of if I went x4...

I'm not a gamer really, certainly not high end stuff... I like the odd footy game now and again, but that's about it....

But I do do a fair bit of video work...

My current mobo has a terminal USB problem, so I'm using this as an excuse to upgrade!

I'll probably steer away from Vista for now, as I'm not overly keen, and my legit version is only a Home Basic 32bit version. (I'll wait and see what happens after sp1 get released before I fuly decide if I go to 64bit Vista ;) )

I've got a kosher XP pro 32 and 64bit license so I'll probably just stick with XP for now... (Though 64bit XP has given me issues before...)

@ maarksparky - Why mate? What do you base that on?

Which application are you using for your Video work ?

No all support multi-threading correctly and that is what you will need to get most efficiency from a quad core.

Always liked Abit, and yep, the support is excellent, however, my current board is an Abit, and it's gone faulty after 2 years and a bit months... Just out of warranty. Not happy.

The only thing putting me off is that the IP35Pro (which a mate has) doesn't include a BIOS/CMOS Boot menu... (E.G. Press escape to boot a specific drive etc) Apparently none of the Abit Intel boards support this now...? I find this really useful, and it saves messing about with bootloaders...

If the Gigabytes support that, then I'd be happy with that...? (It also must have Firewire...) Used to have Gigabytes and they were rock solid...

Not a fan of MSI, I've had problems with them previously.

Cheers guys.

No firewire on the DS3R or below from what I can gather, you would have to raise up to the P series which is the best part of £100, but if your going for that you may as well get the DS4 which is about £7 more.

Don't ask me what the advatages over the DS3 the DS4 has as I never pay £100 for a board, lol.

The Asus has 2 firewire ports but the guy in another thread may be having problems with his board, although I think it is his software that is the most likely issue rather than a board fault.

Is it not possible to add a PCI firewire card?

EDIT: Scrub that, just seen how much they are, your better off spending £100 on a good Gigabyte board mate.

Last edited:
Pinnacle, Cyberlink, Nero 8, VSO, Handbrake... Depends what I'm doing...

Pinnacle and Nero 8 will benefit from quad core, don't know about the others. You could contact the vendors to confirm.

Always liked Abit, and yep, the support is excellent, however, my current board is an Abit, and it's gone faulty after 2 years and a bit months... Just out of warranty. Not happy.

The only thing putting me off is that the IP35Pro (which a mate has) doesn't include a BIOS/CMOS Boot menu... (E.G. Press escape to boot a specific drive etc) Apparently none of the Abit Intel boards support this now...? I find this really useful, and it saves messing about with bootloaders...

If the Gigabytes support that, then I'd be happy with that...? (It also must have Firewire...) Used to have Gigabytes and they were rock solid...

Not a fan of MSI, I've had problems with them previously.

Cheers guys.

I used to use abit and had nothing but problems with bad bios and constant new revisions of a board due to problems. My rule of thumb these days is never be an early adopter wait for the platform to mature. It seems phenom is plagued by problems on mobos.

Im thinking of going,
ASUS P5K Deluxe/WiFi-AP
or
Asus P5N32-E SLI PLUS

Intel Core2 Quad 6600 2.4Ghz LGA775 Processor

2GB kit (1GBx2), Ballistix 240-pin DIMM, DDR2 PC2-8500 memory module
BL2KIT12864AA1065

in my Thermaltake Tunsami case with my Thermaltake psu
Im wondering if the psu will handle it.
w00074

and what graphics card to go for.
I dont play games only helicopter sims

I would imagine your PSU will handle it, if it is 400w or above it will be ok.

What people do not realise is that components actually use LESS power now than they did a few years ago, yet people panic about their PSU power and because the market is pushing closer and closer to 1000W and above as standard people think they need that sort of power to run dual and quad core CPU's.

You don't mate, if your not running any heavy card then a good 400w will be ok, but if your pushing a GTX then get a 500w just in case you need to push lots of usb devices and extra hard drives in there at some point.

What is the spec of your current PSU?

Also your into copter sims, I have no idea how demanding thery are but best bang for buck is the 8800GT 512mb which can be found for about £140ish. If they are not too demanding then maybe a 8600GT for about £50 will do you.

Back