1 cat,£450 quid...and a fence :)

ukbob

VIP Old Codger
VIP Member
Reaction score
About 3 months ago we got a rescue dog (it's alright with other animals they said)...yeah righto.
It kept bombing underneath the conifers to get to next doors cat, i spent £450 'upgrading' the fence,as i thought it was the polite thing to do.
Four days ago the cat jumped on my garden and my dog made short work of it... problem is i'm £450 down and the little 4 year old lad next door has been shouting his cats name ever since.... do i tell them what happened to it?

simple answer is yes!

Would you like it, if the next door neighbour had a dog that killed your dig and you did not know about it...and you thought is was lost

shoe on the other foot time !

i'm thinking of the 4 year old here...would it be better if he never found out?
it had a good send off....the green recycle bin

Either way it will help him cope with loss in the future.

You also performed another service where a cat, which was incapable of judging a danger correctly, can no longer breed thus continuing the "survival of the fittest".

Nah!

Dogs are reportable accidents - cats aren't! There's not much chance of building a cat-proof fence!!

Im not a cat fan but i think you need to have a look at your dog, spend some money on training it because to be honest its pretty sick. Not your fault but i think since its your dog its your responsibility now to make sure it doesnt happen again.

And yeah tell him, he deserves to know his cats not coming back.

nah i wouldnt say a word mate, could end up causing major rift with the nieghbours, next thing they will be saying your dogs dangerous...dogs will go for cats and if that one was stupid enuff to come into your garden then cant blame your dog

plus a 4 year old isnt going to know any better anyway, his parents arent exactly gonna tell him next doors dog killed the cat

The next time the 4 year old shouts on its cat reply.."miaw, miaaawwww, miaw I`m in heaven, maiaaww.." they`ll never know.

Surely the fact the dog has just mauled a cat is something you might wanna sort in case the next thing it mauls is the 4 year old?

Last edited:
Surely the fact the dog has just mauled a cat is something you might wanna sort in case the next thing it mauls is the 4 year old?

Thats a fair point,but the cat was in the dogs territory..i'll dare say every dog would attack a strange cat that ventures into it's garden.
I don't see a problem there myself,just natural instinct..

The next time the 4 year old shouts on its cat reply.."miaw, miaaawwww, miaw I`m in heaven, maiaaww.." they`ll never know.

hehe...it's name was casper...i hope it's a friendly ghost...
Seriously though,i can't bring myself to tell them...they are great neighbours and thoroughly decent people...it would kill his missus...

the cat jumped the fence, i doubt a 4 year old is gonna be able to do that plus its animal instinct, jus becuase it killed a cat doesnt mean its goin to maul a person

Got to be honest here, I find it a disgrace that you could leave your dog unattended if it had exhibited that kind of behaviour. Not only that but you are an irresponsible pet owner if you can't raise your dog to not behave like this.

It's a catch 22 situation. If they report you to the RSPCA, your dog will be put down, no question about it. If it was my cat I'd want to know what had happened. I think you owe it to the cats owners to tell them, and hope they are kind enough to forgive you. If it were me, I'd report you in a second.

the cat jumped the fence, i doubt a 4 year old is gonna be able to do that plus its animal instinct, jus becuase it killed a cat doesnt mean its goin to maul a person

And what about when its out for a walk or off the lead? I think it would be fair to say the dog could do with being trained so it doesnt kill other animals that accidentally come into the garden. Im sure if it was your cat you would think differently.

Got to be honest here, I find it a disgrace that you could leave your dog unattended to the point that it could kill a cat if you knew it displayed this kind of behaviour. Not only that but you are an irresponsible pet owner if you can't raise your dog to not behave like this.

It's a catch22 situation. If they report you to the RSPCA, your dog will be put down, no question about it. If it was my cat I'd want to know what had happened. I think you owe it to the little lad.

Unnatended on the back garden...wow that must be a first...back door is always open in all weathers,so he comes and goes all the time..
secondly,,,i rushed downstairs as soon as i heard the commotion but was too late to help..
thirdly ..i i never knew or said he ever displayed that kind of behaviour...
fourthly (is that a word)...if you read properly,he's a rescue dog ergo i didn't raise him..
fifthly i'm irresponsible to the point of erecting a new fence to protect the cat?

Got to be honest here, I find it a disgrace that you could leave your dog unattended if it had exhibited that kind of behaviour. Not only that but you are an irresponsible pet owner if you can't raise your dog to not behave like this.

It's a catch 22 situation. If they report you to the RSPCA, your dog will be put down, no question about it. If it was my cat I'd want to know what had happened. I think you owe it to the cats owners to tell them, and hope they are kind enough to forgive you. If it were me, I'd report you in a second.

he spent money fencing it in, cat came into his garden...hardly irresponsible and was told it was good with other animals

also the dog will not be put down, neighbours can claim dangerous dog but it was not dangerous in a public place, police and rspca cant do a thing about it, tho they could claim compensation

Thats a fair point,but the cat was in the dogs territory..i'll dare say every dog would attack a strange cat that ventures into it's garden.
I don't see a problem there myself,just natural instinct..

Well done on taking a rescue dog mate. No sympathy for the cat from me it's a dog-eat-dog (or should that be cat?) world. Only problem is if the dog's so territorial what if the little lad next door goes looking for his cat? Maybe he can't get over / thru the fence now but kids are very resourceful. I guess we'd all hate to hear your dog has harmed a kid, heaven forbid that happens but maybe the dog needs some more training as some have said? Just a thought.

Well done on taking a rescue dog mate. No sympathy for the cat from me it's a dog-eat-dog (or should that be cat?) world. Only problem is if the dog's so territorial what if the little lad next door goes looking for his cat? Maybe he can't get over / thru the fence now but kids are very resourceful. I guess we'd all hate to hear your dog has harmed a kid, heaven forbid that happens but maybe the dog needs some more training as some have said? Just a thought.

I agree, the dog still needs to be trained. Especially since you don't what it capable off as it a rescue dog. About the cat I would keep quite about it now - what done is done and there no point fueling the fire by telling your neighbour what happened.

That thought had entered my head mate, i have now had to change my habits (and the dogs) in that when the little one next door is home,i never let my dog out of my sight.
The guilt of wether to let them know gets worse by the day....

the decision is yours to make tell them dont tell them,aint gona bring the cat back and if the cat come into your garden wot can you do,even if you put a new fence up it aint gona stop a cat from climing it......
the dog is a rescue so you dont know its full past....
my two sbt will chase any thing,im not sure if thay would kill any thing, tho.....

wot about geting a muzile for the dog for when the kid is about,im not a fan of muziles but if thats wot it take....
as for training,that might never work then the training peeps might tell you that it might need to be put down for the safety of otheirs....

wot kind of dog is it you have....

Back