£75 Refund from Game/Gamestation

deedie

DW Regular
Reaction score
Dont know if any of you are aware of this, but if you complain to game or gamestation about the removal of the "other os" feature, then they will give you a £75 refund on a gift card, to be spent instore.

you can do this in writing or on their websites. just tell them that you are not happy with this, and that you want to know what they are going to do about it. tell them that you are no longer able to use it online without losing this feature, and that you use it all the time.

they will reply, saying that its not their fault, its sony's, there is nothing they can do about it. they will also state that you agreed to accept firmware updates as part of the psn terms and conditions etc etc.

after they have sent that email. tell them that you know you agreed to the terms and conditions, but they ps3 no longer functions in the way that it did at the time of buying. then quote this EU Directive

Directive 1999/44/EC, May 1999 from the European Parliament stipulates that by 1st January 2002 all member states must have alt

that they are responsible as the seller to sort this issue out.

they will then ask for proof of purchase, a receipt or credit card statement from the time of purchase will do. maybe even the points card if u used one at the time of buying.

after u have sent it, they will offer u £75 as a good will gesture, and tell u not to mention it to anybody.

im just waiting on mine coming through the post soon. this might even work with other companys, but u will definately get a result from Game or Gamestation

i ment to say also. this will only work with the older phat ps3's, not the slims, as they never had the "other os" feature

nice 1 mate, just a shame i never got mine from game or gamestation, lol...

sure a few people will blag this 1 though!!!

Strange that this is the law and yet these companies do try it on....and they do it because they know most people are either retards or won't say anything. Either way for the most part they'll get away with making up their own store policies regardless of whether they contradict (or violate) state law as it were.

I wonder if the used game market applies then ? Say you buy a second hand game and on the box it says something about extra content codes or whatever, you buy it take it home and the codes were already used by the previous owner - are you then eligible to claim some money or otherwise be reimbursed by the store because you bought something which didn't fully work as advertised at the time of purchase ? Because legally it's the same thing is it not ?

Last edited:
I have sent a letter to Argos to try this, will update when I get a reply.

I got mine from Argos so will be interested to see if they follow suit. I ordered it online, can't recall a receipt, got a letter saying i had pre ordered. But could just so my bank statement. Im jumping the gun, they might not do it. Tbh Agros are tighter than a camels arse in a sandstorm when it comes to giving money back.

They should be reported imo. They are clearly trying to sidestep EU legislation.

Also like the part where they say not to tell anybody lol

the only company i have heard anybody getting any luck with this, is game/gamestation. but its worth a shot. i heard amazon refunded 1 person, but refused any further attempts by other people.

i got my £75 delivered today, but i missed the post and have to collect it tomorrow.

Just read this and was going to say I got mine from amazon but if they refunded one person surely they should refund the rest? Then again im guessing you will have to prove they actually refunded that one person under similar circumstances?

I wonder if i can try this on with the ebayer i bought my ps3 from hehe

dunno mate, why dont you be the first.
I can give you the template of the letter I sent.
Its probably quite crap but might give you a basis to write your own.

Might be an idea to just put the template on here then people can use it as a guide. I must have a look for the receipt.

Here is the letter I sent to Argos, please feel free to amend it.

Nice work , I will give it a try when I get the chance and find the receipt. You never know they may offer a full refund :).

I will let you know if I get a reply.

ok so i had a call from Argos today and they are telling me this.

"After discussing this matter with our legal team we have been assured that as the console was sold as described, we are under no obligation to offer further assistance. We cannot be held responsible for Sony firmware updates"

Now im still not 100% convinced as im no legal expert, so what should I do?

Leave it and just carry on as normal or is there another avenue I can pursue?

Any help will be appreciated.

Do as the yanks do and file a class action lawsuit against Sony lol....but yeah Argos pretty much nailed your situation there - it was sold as stated and they can't be held responsible for what Sony choose to do with their updates and so Argos are under no obligation to refund you anything. Some places will offer you some cash back, others won't. But at the same time you either have a legal case or you don't. I'd check that out with your legal team and get back to Argos if you have a case. Or just keep on at them. Though I have to ask, honestly is it really worth all the hassle for what it was and still is ? If you think so then go for it.

Though I have to ask, honestly is it really worth all the hassle for what it was and still is ?

Lol no not at all, but its more about the fact companies shouldnt be able to walk over consumers as and when they feel fit.

We fill these companies coffers and we should be treated accordingly.

Back