DVD Read Error (349)

v14

Banned
Reaction score
wii n00b
Just did the softmod and all seemed to go ok (thanks to the dummies guide)
now when I try and run a backup i get "DVD Read Error (349)".

Is it wrong discs maybe or wrong burning software, if tried alcohol and imgburn.

any pointers would be muchly appreciated..

:)

if using dvd + you have to change the bookset in imgburn,i burn at 4 speed and they are ok,dvd - are best

i'm using ridata -r , tried at 2x and 4x but still same result with both imgburn and alco.

I dont know if this is relevant but when I downgraded from 3.3e installed ios16-64-257-prod.wad then cios_fix.wad but the cios_fix.wad gives me an error ERROR! (ret = -1022).

is that the problem?

how did you downgrade? have u sorted this yet m8?

run Ios Downgrader app and install cios_fix.wad

have u tried the Ios 16 Wad Manager app to install cios_fix.wad?

Last edited:
i downgraded just as the pdf said m8 and all went ok until the cios_fix.wad bit when it gave error (ret = -1022).
I got that to work with Custom WM and now seems to be working apart from some backups don't load properly (ie load intro then hang or just hang at green screen).

As for the games that wont run i'm not sure if it's just bad burns or dodgy iso's or wether a bit of tweaking needed.

yeah m8 I did the cios_249.wad install again, didn't make any difference to the ones that wont run.

i'll try re burning on a different drive an see if that works.

thanks m8

yeah m8 I did the cios_249.wad install again, didn't make any difference to the ones that wont run.

i'll try re burning on a different drive an see if that works.

thanks m8

could be the media then, get yaself down to maplins 100x dvd minus' r verbs 15 quid ends today.

let me know how u get on fella

just a quick thought..
after doing the mod , when i go into save data> wii should the twilight save still be there?
it isn't on mine

wii n00b
Just did the softmod and all seemed to go ok (thanks to the dummies guide)
now when I try and run a backup i get "DVD Read Error (349)".

Is it wrong discs maybe or wrong burning software, if tried alcohol and imgburn.

any pointers would be muchly appreciated..

:)

I also have the same problem as V14, I to had the same issue with the CIOS_fix.WAD file not installing and giving me error -1022 in normal WAD manager and the error -1036 in the other WAD manager, it does look like the starfall hack is running tho as i have managed to downgrade to 3.12e and the health warning screen is now gone therefore I think the other hacks are in place, the starfall install did report that it was successfull.

Summary...
I followed the Wii Softmodding for Dummies v2.pdf and then checked it against the text file also in the same download how to get to 3.2e and install Starfall to protect your wii.txt,

I did notice that there was a difference in the sequence that the following area within the install Starfall to protect your wii.txt file
2. Install Starfall
3. Install cIOS_249.wad
this says in the text file previous to this that the sequence is the other way around. then gives you a 1 2 3 step saying its the opposite way round.

The media i am using is DVD-R, the make is RIDISC (Ridisc & Ridisc Xtreme: Optical Media (CD, DVD & HD-DVD) and Accessories) 8X 4.7GB
burned on a pioneer at 2.4 speed
Software for burning was IMG burn
Home brew channel install and the WII backup channel seem to be running good

I am having the DVD Read Error (349) & i wasnt successful at installing the CIOS_fix.wad, I did also try to put the curstom wad manager onto my SD card into the apps folder however it didnt show up in the homebrew channel. Any input is apreciated guys...

Thanks in advance..

BR
Phezo

I encountered the same problem using this tutorial just a short while ago but got around it.

Firstly, I ran the softmod as per the main instructions and no problem, tested with a backup.

I then went to run the steps as per the txt file about downgrading (in my case from 3.3e to 3.2e.....I got that exact same error (ret = -1022) on one of the screens, but continued onwards.

Checked system settings and it was reporting as 3.2e so seemingly a success....I do not know what that -1022 error is all about though as it appears to be working fine.

I then ran starfall and had a look in settings....and then installed the options to remove the health warning etc.

reset the box, no health warning etc...so it appears starfall is fine.

I then went to try a different game out.........got the DVD Read Error (349).....thought "bugger an incompatable title...."..... tried another disc and then the MySims game which worked fine before...all the same error. I knew these discs were all fine as use them often in my own chipped Wii.

So somewhere in between the downgrading to 3.2E and installing Starfall it screwed up the setup of the Backup Loader software.

So I went back to WADmanager and the ios16 and the backuploader (ie same as the instructions again up to the point of backup loader being on) went back to dashboard and now all is fine again.

Hope that helps some of you guys.

The only thing I've noticed is that video seems very choppy on cutscenes though game itself fine (MySims and Mario Galaxies). Well no "seems" about it - its very very choppy. I presume thats still a work in progress with the loaders as run fine with modchips?

Soooooo anyone know what the (ret = -1022) is all about while playing on this wii til I break it :p

@ Midnight Tboy, cheers mate, that just worked for me, I had some disc types that didnt work and gave me the error also, this just clouded the issue. I am now using the RIDISC's that do work.

I think my problem was when i installed the channel plus backup play channel then i "downgraded". The down grade seemed to screw things up so just re install the backup play and I was good to go..

A big thanks to everyone who spent time on this..

BR
Phezo

@ Midnight Tboy, cheers mate, that just worked for me, I had some disc types that didnt work and gave me the error also, this just clouded the issue. I am now using the RIDISC's that do work.

I think my problem was when i installed the channel plus backup play channel then i "downgraded". The down grade seemed to screw things up so just re install the backup play and I was good to go..

A big thanks to everyone who spent time on this..

BR
Phezo

no probs Phezo...glad I could help for a change instead of leaching info from everyone else :Laugh:

So I went back to WADmanager and the ios16 and the backuploader (ie same as the instructions again up to the point of backup loader being on) went back to dashboard and now all is fine again.

Hope that helps some of you guys.

So do the same again from point f (vii) on the instructions?

yup that sounds about right.

admittedly I think on my original install I messed up and ran step F even tho I was not on 3.4 and installed the ios16....step F should really have been seperated to stop skim readers like me :D

So yeah think I reinstalled ios16.wad then cIOS_249.wad, then the backuploader again. It may have been that I just needed to install the backuploader only but thought what the hell :)

I did have the problem where it wouldn't run cios_fix.wad also. Did a bit of hunting and later installed a file that a guy at gbatemp sent me, ios249_r7.wad, which supposedly is superior to whatever the cios_fix was meant to do....but alls working still so am happy :)

Hey guys, Just surious is the persons using this fix were all getting the error(349) on ALL games or only some, as ALL of my games work except Smackdown VS Raw 2009 when using launcher 0.3 gamma i get the error, im running under 3.4u

@DjTaz as the writer of the progam maybe you would know if it is even possible for my problem to be the same as someone who cant run any games, and if you reckon i should try thr reinstal mentioned above, or might i have another issue, im scared to brick thw Wii overinstalling wad that dont be replaced, and would like to know if this even has a chance of working for me, before i proceed, li

note: my media is the same for all games i have burned so far and they are Sony DVD-R AccuCore16x but i only burn at 4x speed with ImgBurn and alway use WiiBrickBlocker b4 burning, and use RegionFrii (if applicable)(in the instance (wwe2009) it wasnt used)

Last edited:
Back