Vu+ Solo2 Stuck???

moku

Inactive User
Reaction score
HELP!!!!! VU+ SOLO2 Stuck?

Hi Guys, I have had the VU+ Solo2 since May 2014. I managed to save the following Image Information before flashing it today:
MODEL: Vu+ Solo2
Chipset: BCM7356
CPU: BCM7346B2
CORES: 2
VERSION: HELIOS
BUILD: 001
KERNEL 3.3.8
DRIVERS: 2014-04-03
LAST UPDATE: 2014-04-19

I bought the box new from a UK supplier who stated it was genuine but on receipt there were telltale signs that it wasn't.. It was delivered with image above already installed so it was ready to use from day one and I have been doing that ever since without the need for any updates. I successfully installed a new internal HDD today, successfully initialised and mounted it and even backed up the image and setting onto the newly installed HDD. Whilst installing I noticed that there was no sticker on CPU or anywhere on the motherboard indicating whether it is a Sunray, Larisun etc box. In fact it looked like the seller had made a concerted effort to scrub all information on the cpu.

On rebooting the machine, it loaded the VU+ Splash Screen which vanished and was followed by a blank screen on TV with VU+ Solo2 writing showing on the display screen of the box and nothing. I have downloaded and installed 3 images namely Openvix Apollo 132, 137 & 142 installing them in this order using the a 4gb USB and 8gb USB pen drives and using the rear USB slots. All the images loaded and rebooted successfully but again all stuck at the point when it shows VU+ Solo2 on the display screen of the box with blank TV Screen.

I am lost and don't know what to try next. I read on here that Solo2 doesn't require Bootloader to installed so I haven't tried installing a new Bootloader. Any help or guidance will be greatly appreciated as I am hoping I haven't inadvertently bricked the box.

Those openvix you tried are for sunray as the title states.

If it's bricked then normally you get blue light on front and it refuses to even attempt to flash.

You're saying it flashes but then blank screen. Can you not re-flash with your backup you made?

As an update, I figured out the box was not bricked so I downloaded an older Openvix Apolllo 079 and installed via usb method. Everything went fine and even booted to the vix screen and then box just switched itself off and will not boot up now. The front power button is light up in Orange and I can hear the box churning out some noise but nothing happening or showing on the tv screen or display screen of boxthat if I

Not sure what's happening now whether bix is now bricked or needs a new v4 firmware installing using a serial cable?

Apollo 078 from here was designed for v4 flash. It's possible, because you are most likely using an older flash version, that this has now bricked your box.

Can you still flash (ie it goes through the motions)?

If you can't flash any image and box doesn't even try (with no activity) then it does sound like you have bricked your box i'm afraid.

I have not tried flashing with a serial cable but now nothing happens when I power up the box although the front touch sensitive power button is lit up and I can hear churning noises from inside the box

If you can no longer flash anything then I don't think it's good news as it does look like you have bricked it.

You can try following instructions in this thread and see if it works.

I'm not entirely certain it can help you recover from a bricked box but if your box is bricked then you have nothing to lose at all in trying.

For clarity, I think you were fine up until you tried flashing with apollo 078.

The drivers in 078 must still contain the clone bomb code but v4 flashed boxes are able to prevent these drivers from working.

The newer images you first tried that resulted in a blank screen is because these Sunray drivers are patched drivers with clone bomb code removed. Most other boxes don't recognise or like sunray drivers unfortunately.

Last edited:
Thanks Ketmp... Yes I was fine until I loaded the

Posted previous message prematurely. Yes I was fine until I decided to install Openvix Apollo 078 which was for Lonrisun box like mine. I thought it was clone safe as I downloaded from the VU+ Solo2 Clone Images section. If the Openvix Apollo 142 didn't brick my box then how could a clone safe image brick it?

The drivers in 078 still contain the clone bomb code but v4 flashed boxes are able to prevent these drivers from bricking box. However, v4 flashed boxes don't like newer drivers so v4 owners are stuck with drivers dated August.

The recent images you first tried that resulted in a blank screen (but not bricked) is because these are Sunray drivers and are patched drivers with clone bomb code removed.

Most other boxes don't recognise or like sunray patched drivers unfortunately so refuse to work but because the clone bomb code has been removed, these patched drivers don't brick the box. At least that's what I've observed.

Personally, I think the person who made the 078 clone safe image should have specified in the first post it's only safe with v4 flash boxes. I'm sure it's mentioned further on in the thread but most people only read the first post (some don't even fully read the first post tbh).

As I said in a previous post of mine, visit that thread I mentioned and give it a go as you have nothing to lose now that your box shows no sign of life.

To be honest the people who tried that image all had new-ish boxes which I'd assume would be at v4.

I've upgraded my clone to v4 but am still running vix 3.0-808 on it, reason being that I don't have a spare flash chip and therefore decided not to risk it. I've read loads of threads and there's no real clear info which is another reason.

I know that now and how I wish I knew that before bricking my box. Now I need to buy a new chip and get some to solder on the motherboard then hopefully when or if I get it up and running then I upgrade firmware to v4 before attempting to load some of the newish vix image with cut off being Apollo 079.

The moral of the story is if looking at buying a new clone box from China then go for Sunray Solo2 with USB v2 encryption then go for Ketmp's Vix Images for Sunray Solo2 from here. I think his latest one is Apollo 142 . If you have a Lonrisun clone box with v2 firmware then either upgrade the firmware to v4 then try Openvix Apollo up to 079 or if you want to stick to v2 firmware then don't go above Vix Apollo 029 or you can safely use any of the images on the Lonrisun supplier's website.

Did you try the recover method I posted in a previous post?

Ketmp, I started but gave after being asked by the software to configure my dial up modem etc. I don't use dial up modem and I was a little bit reticent in proceeding further. I know the box is bricked and cannot damage it any further but I'm a bit concerned with setting up dial up modem etc.

The majority view on here is that when your box is bricked you either throw it away or have the chip replaced. Are there any contradictory views to the majority view?

i had the same problem... just flash a image from vu-hd.com and your box will boot mate

if the box is showing the logo.. its not bricked... a brick only shows orange power button and no display... if it hangs at vu solo2 logo its bootloader is good

Back